Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dear Panini...

Dear Panini...
Dear Panini,

We've been noticing your products and have to say that we love your designs. Even though you don't have logos on your cards, they are nonetheless very visually appealing. Your use of color and subject poses are attractive even to us your chief competitor.

We've found that by cutting out one particular pose of each player in PhotoShop allows us to use that same pose over and over again in all of our products without having to actually put in any extra effort. Plus we capitalize on our long storied history by reproducing our vintage cards and card designs and calling them inserts and parallels. We also tint our cards different colors, sometimes just on the border and that gives us way more product with way less effort. This has allowed us to cut costs and still bilk the consumer out of their hard-earned dollars. We love our reputation.

We've also found that if we "intentionally make a mistake" collectors will clamor for those simply because they are different than our regular base cards. For example, this year we made Gypsy Queen cards of Kris Bryant with a Cardinals logo on the card. Ha-Ha! You can't use logos and we can abuse this by putting the wrong logos on our cards and calling them "errors'. We took the nameplate off one version, we took the backplate off another version, we've even done "logo swaps"! Collectors love it!

We just need your help in adjusting our design somewhat. As you can tell our new 2019 base set design is rather lackluster. We've just run out of ideas on the creative end. If you could give us some pointers, maybe, just maybe we'll allow you to use logos on your cards someday in the far distant future. Hee hee.

Sincerely,
Topps
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

RE: Dear Panini...
I absolutely love this! Not only is it humorous, but it speaks on behalf of thousands...nay, millions of collectors that want to scream this out on the steps of Topps Headquarters and hope to wake them up from their nap to finally give a hoot.

For those that think non-logos are garbage, I say phoo-ey and ask them to read this again and ask themselves if borders, errors and repetitive poses are worth knocking Panini down.

BINGO!

Love it!

Scott
50,000+ Red Sox cards and counting.

(08-17-2018, 11:06 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I absolutely love this! Not only is it humorous, but it speaks on behalf of thousands...nay, millions of collectors that want to scream this out on the steps of Topps Headquarters and hope to wake them up from their nap to finally give a hoot.

For those that think non-logos are garbage, I say phoo-ey and ask them to read this again and ask themselves if borders, errors and repetitive poses are worth knocking Panini down.
I love Panini's Basketball sets, and their baseball sets look great too. But I'm one of those that can't get past the logos being airbrushed out. I bought Donruss last year when I returned to the hobby, but I've skipped out on all of Panini's baseball products this year.

Zeprock makes a lot of great and humorous points. Generally, I've liked Topps designs (I even kinda like the 2019 one, but don't tell anybody), but the repetitive poses are really lame. You'd hope they'd fix that, but since they just re-upped their MLB exclusive they probably won't.
Currently looking for rare Sean Doolittle cards
1992 & 1996 Dream Team autos and relics
Bay Area High School and College star autographs

(in my dreams)

Dear Panini:

Just let us start making football cards again to give consumers a choice other than your boring and repetitive designs and its a deal.

Very Truly Yours,

Topps

(in all seriousness, most of Panini's baseball products are exact copies of their football designs - and that is nothing to be proud of)

(08-17-2018, 04:03 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: (in my dreams)

Dear Panini:

Just let us start making football cards again to give consumers a choice other than your boring and repetitive designs and its a deal.

Very Truly Yours,

Topps

(in all seriousness, most of Panini's baseball products are exact copies of their football designs - and that is nothing to be proud of)
Just curious...what Topps football product was so great other than Chrome (that had parallels upon parallels)? I see tons of people wishing for the same thing to return but I cannot see anything from pre-2017 that is nice looking.

Wonderful and speaks to truth...but..I want many companies to have logos and access to players with contracts..Remember the day when a company had an exclusive on a hot player??

Never helps the consumer to have a single company with the "rights". Let everyone have them and let us decide who we like...

I remember Pacific..best inserts..laser cut..very inventive..parallels a plenty!!

Miss the days when I could go into the shop and decide on a box based on the appeal of the cards and the players involved..

I like Panini and buy them regardless of the logos..they are far and away a funner (is this a word) break than looking for the Posey cards of different colors and end up with 17 cards of a prospect that just got demoted for drug violation.

But, Topps rules and others drool..may be an envy reaction..

I really do miss Pacific though!!! Best insert ever..the Foul Pole die cuts!!!

I agree with the lackluster designs, although I do like 2019 flagship design. But some of the other designs could use more creativity. My biggest gripe is the use of the same pose for some players. Not just the same picture, but the player in the same pose on multiple cards in multiple years. I'm a big Joey Votto collector, and it's getting tiring of seeing him either ready to hit the ball, or just after he hit the ball, from pretty much the same angle. For example, look at his 2017 flagship card and 2017 update cards. The photo is almost identical. It makes it tough to tell the difference if you look at it quickly. The only real difference is the logo. They didn't realize they just used a photo of him right after he hit the ball from the same exact angle? Seems lazy to me.
Barry Larkin - 1781 different
Joey Votto jersey numbered cards - 283

Great Piece of work