`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1990 TOPPS #336 KEN GRIFFEY JR With Blank Back?

1990 TOPPS #336 KEN GRIFFEY JR With Blank Back?
Quick question: Does Beckett list error cards in their database? Right now, I am looking at a Ken Griffey Jr 1990 Topps #336 baseball card that has a blank back that looks like cardboard. I was wondering what this particular card might be worth? Thanks in advance!

RE: 1990 TOPPS #336 KEN GRIFFEY JR With Blank Back?
What you have is a blank back card, which was a printing flaw that occurs when a sheet or card goes through one print cycle but then doesn't get the other side done. Beckett doesn't list these cards, and the collecting market is pretty niche for these type cards. That being said, a Ken Griffey Jr 2nd year blank back card will definitely have a lot more people interested in it, then the same card of a scrub player. That being said, a quick look on eBay will show that the 1990 Topps Griffey blank bard card is not uber-rare either, and can easily be bought for a couple of dollars. So if you're looking for value there you go, I would place the value to be $2-$5.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(07-01-2016, 08:18 AM)djohn Wrote: What you have is a blank back card, which was a printing flaw that occurs when a sheet or card goes through one print cycle but then doesn't get the other side done. Beckett doesn't list these cards, and the collecting market is pretty niche for these type cards. That being said, a Ken Griffey Jr 2nd year blank back card will definitely have a lot more people interested in it, then the same card of a scrub player. That being said, a quick look on eBay will show that the 1990 Topps Griffey blank bard card is not uber-rare either, and can easily be bought for a couple of dollars. So if you're looking for value there you go, I would place the value to be $2-$5.
As with cards of this era, the value is usually only on highly graded cards. A PSA 10 '90 Griffey blank back would fetch a lot more than 5 bucks.

I hate that an entire era of cards have been destroyed via over production.

(07-01-2016, 09:37 PM)Nintari Wrote: As with cards of this era, the value is usually only on highly graded cards. A PSA 10 '90 Griffey blank back would fetch a lot more than 5 bucks.

You're correct that ANY PSA 10 would sell for more than the same card ungraded. However I am not sure if PSA will grade blank back cards, as there I did a search for "PSA Topps Blank" on eBay and didn't get a single one (other than cards of players with last names Blank or Blanks).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.

It could also be a cutout off the top flap of the wax box.
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,
Other Auto's, GU cards will be considered

[/quote]
+1...I remember when collectors were searching for the 1990 Topps Frank Thomas and I was very happy when I finally opened one back then. Now, nobody cares.

(07-02-2016, 11:11 AM)krn001 Wrote: It could also be a cutout off the top flap of the wax box.
Good point, I hadn't even thought of that until you pointed it out and I checked the boxes. Sure enough there is a full size Griffey on the box top, that could be trimmed to look like a blank back card. That makes a lot of sense, since I saw an overwhelming number of these 1990 Topps Griffey "blank back" cards on eBay.

(07-02-2016, 07:52 AM)djohn Wrote: You're correct that ANY PSA 10 would sell for more than the same card ungraded. However I am not sure if PSA will grade blank back cards, as there I did a search for "PSA Topps Blank" on eBay and didn't get a single one (other than cards of players with last names Blank or Blanks).
Huh... that's very odd. I mean, PSA will grade hand cut cards from the bottom of boxes for crying out loud. I wonder why they wouldn't bother with a blank back?

Interesting conversation. Does Beckett grade blank backs? Front looks like it is in pretty nice condition.

Real interesting ... keep it going folks
[Image: Signature_zpsnepr034k.jpg]