`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Determining Card Values ?? Your viewpoint

Determining Card Values ?? Your viewpoint
I just got back in the hobby after being away for several years. Since I got back I have noticed some changes - #1 Beckett seems to be used as a guide far less than it had - the old rule of thumb was a decent deal usually was when you paid around 50% of Beckett High value. At least that was the common theme at most card shows.

Then as ebay became the main source - it became more of a check the actual "realized" (not asking) prices under completed auctions. I assume that is what many on here utilized for "values".

I recently signed up for Beckett - total access Online Price Guide and Market Data Report for one month. I had a hard time getting over the sticker price (even with discount nearly $50), but I am going through a bunch of stuff in my parents basement and thought this would give me quick access to a base line for pricing it on ebay.

My early review - I have to say I am pretty disappointed. The Market Data report seems very weak - not a lot of data - at least not complete - and by no means "real time" as the phone rep said it was- they do give you some insight on the really low serial #'d items. I don't think I would use this again. The online price guide has a lot of the flaws it used to have. The prices seem pretty arbitrary - don't match ebay completed.

Questions:

1. Maybe I am not getting the most out of the Beckett tools. any suggestions and do you yourself use them much?

2. Do you think that Beckett may favor certain companies products, and therefore give them better pricing in their guides?

3. One mega dealer on ebay told me he flat out doesn't even look at the Beckett pricing anymore and just relies on either best offers or ebay completed. What is your feeling overall on Beckett pricing guides and the market data report?

Thanks for your input.

3. What do you use to price

RE: Determining Card Values ?? Your viewpoint
Mostly use Beckett for the Organize function and Price Guide to complete trades. For real time values on what I could get if I sold a card I use Ebay sold listings.

1. Maybe I am not getting the most out of the Beckett tools. any suggestions and do you yourself use them much?

I only use Beckett for two things--the org (which I have never had an issue with other than their never ending maintenance) and football pricing. You will hear all kinds of arguments over this, both for and against. I feel that most of the arguments are reasonable regardless of the individual's position, and I do not begrudge anybody's stance when it comes to Beckett, with one exception. When people start to say Beckett is completely irrelevant, that is where they lose me. What an ignorant statement! While Beckett is certainly jacked up in numerous ways (and they don't seem to care), they are certainly not irrelevant. If they were truly as obsolete as people make them out to be, they would have been out of business a long time ago. You want an example? Go look at Tuff Stuff's online price guide and see when it was last updated. That is obsolete. Also, pay attention to how many people DO price their cards exactly at Beckett's pricing...or exactly half of Beckett's pricing. There are quite a few. Don't let the very vocal anti-Beckett folks fool you. It is still relevant.

With that said, the biggest thing Beckett has going for it is probably their grading service. A LOT of people swear by BGS. Personally, I believe BOTH PSA and SGC are more trustworthy, but BGS cases look SO DARN GOOD!

2. Do you think that Beckett may favor certain companies products, and therefore give them better pricing in their guides?

No

3. One mega dealer on ebay told me he flat out doesn't even look at the Beckett pricing anymore and just relies on either best offers or ebay completed. What is your feeling overall on Beckett pricing guides and the market data report?

People like the dealer you mentioned (if they really do follow the ebay data and listen to the consumer) are golden. It's when they take a card that is waaaay overpriced in Beckett, and then double it claiming that nobody looks at Beckett anymore...that's when I walk away shaking my head because I know I will never have that card in my PC. I will not be ripped off by some money grubbing, unreasonable twerp. And yeah, it makes me angry. This should be a fun hobby, but when somebody is asking $169 for a Skip Hicks auto!? Sorry...that is stupid! I don't spend much time being upset, but I am human and nobody likes crooks.

I never look at the market data report.

4. What do you use to price?

I still use Beckett for most non-auto cards. If someone is asking more than Beckett's LOW book value I usually move on. Beckett seems to be clueless about most autos and items with a very low serial # (think 25 and lower). I literally never check them for any kind of serious reference on these items. But I don't check ebay either. I just pay what I feel the card is worth. If somebody wants to pay more, good for them. If the seller wants to whine about my offer, they can keep it. I don't argue...take it or leave it.
"A collection isn't a collection unless you have some of everything." ~kollectornet

(01-21-2016, 09:59 PM)jephthah1 Wrote: 1. Maybe I am not getting the most out of the Beckett tools. any suggestions and do you yourself use them much?

I only use Beckett for two things--the org (which I have never had an issue with other than their never ending maintenance) and football pricing. You will hear all kinds of arguments over this, both for and against. I feel that most of the arguments are reasonable regardless of the individual's position, and I do not begrudge anybody's stance when it comes to Beckett, with one exception. When people start to say Beckett is completely irrelevant, that is where they lose me. What an ignorant statement! While Beckett is certainly jacked up in numerous ways (and they don't seem to care), they are certainly not irrelevant. If they were truly as obsolete as people make them out to be, they would have been out of business a long time ago. You want an example? Go look at Tuff Stuff's online price guide and see when it was last updated. That is obsolete. Also, pay attention to how many people DO price their cards exactly at Beckett's pricing...or exactly half of Beckett's pricing. There are quite a few. Don't let the very vocal anti-Beckett folks fool you. It is still relevant.

With that said, the biggest thing Beckett has going for it is probably their grading service. A LOT of people swear by BGS. Personally, I believe BOTH PSA and SGC are more trustworthy, but BGS cases look SO DARN GOOD!

No

People like the dealer you mentioned (if they really do follow the ebay data and listen to the consumer) are golden. It's when they take a card that is waaaay overpriced in Beckett, and then double it claiming that nobody looks at Beckett anymore...that's when I walk away shaking my head because I know I will never have that card in my PC. I will not be ripped off by some money grubbing, unreasonable twerp. And yeah, it makes me angry. This should be a fun hobby, but when somebody is asking $169 for a Skip Hicks auto!? Sorry...that is stupid! I don't spend much time being upset, but I am human and nobody likes crooks.

I never look at the market data report.

4. What do you use to price?

I still use Beckett for most non-auto cards. If someone is asking more than Beckett's LOW book value I usually move on. Beckett seems to be clueless about most autos and items with a very low serial # (think 25 and lower). I literally never check them for any kind of serious reference on these items. But I don't check ebay either. I just pay what I feel the card is worth. If somebody wants to pay more, good for them. If the seller wants to whine about my offer, they can keep it. I don't argue...take it or leave it.
Thanks for the thoughtful responses :

1A. I agree with you to say Beckett is totally irrelevant is not fair - I should say the dealer on ebay pooh-poohed Beckett because I pointed out he was 150% over Beckett HIGH on his pricing. It appears that they are not AS relevant as they were say five years ago - and no where near as relevant as they were in the 1990's when they were the bible for pricing cards- the up and down arrows were a big thing, as were their "Hot" and "Cold" lists. I do think their pricing for their services are too high, especially when you consider the quality of service is pretty suspect.

1B, It seems like BGS carry the most wait, and they absolutely have the best looking slabs in the business. I also like the Pristine 10 - seems like they give too many Gem Mints - is that why you mean you trust PSA and SGC more?

3A. There are too many crooks in this hobby. It is upsetting, I feel the same way. When I used to be on here there was a thread where people would report the fraud stuff and crooks on ebay. Is that around? We should have a thread where you report really great experiences too - I have had mostly positive experiences so far in last three months on ebay. I used to do tons of trades on ebay, but it has been years.

3B. The data report is no where near what they are charging. Unless I am missing something it really isn't worth much at all.

4. Right now for pricing stuff I use a combination of Beckett and ebay.

I think part of the reason Beckett has lost some traction is they have priced themselves too high for a most people. I may get the football one once one more month, but that is probably it for me.

Thanks again for your feedback and the above poster as well.

Any company that places values on cards before they've hit the open market is very misleading to newbies. Oh yeah, Beckett does that all the time.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(01-22-2016, 05:43 PM)jonathani Wrote: Any company that places values on cards before they've hit the open market is very misleading to newbies. Oh yeah, Beckett does that all the time.
And this is one of the top reasons I wish someone would bring some REAL competition to Beckett. COMC seemed poised to try...and they do offer 4 year sales data on every card and suggested retail pricing on some cards, but they haven't come close to "being known" for having dependable pricing.

Right now Beckett is bad for the hobby...I truly believe that. They believe they are untouchable, and for now, that seems to be true. But hopefully not forever.
"A collection isn't a collection unless you have some of everything." ~kollectornet

(01-22-2016, 08:03 PM)jephthah1 Wrote: And this is one of the top reasons I wish someone would bring some REAL competition to Beckett. COMC seemed poised to try...and they do offer 4 year sales data on every card and suggested retail pricing on some cards, but they haven't come close to "being known" for having dependable pricing.

Right now Beckett is bad for the hobby...I truly believe that. They believe they are untouchable, and for now, that seems to be true. But hopefully not forever.
Here's my take- Agree with what your saying- I think whoever runs Beckett is lazy- charging too much- not doing proper price point placement - when I dealt with customer service they (India out-source) were AWFUL! Had NO clue of the products or services Beckett offers. The services offered on Beckett are SO OVER-priced and inaccurate -the more I try and use them, the more I feel ripped off.

My take on current Beckett: "We don't care about customers, we cheap the product as much we can, we don't update often, we are flat out lazy and don't care - we live off our leadership in this market" - someone will take this over and kill it. It is ripe for the taking. Anyone here wants to start something let me know - I do have some resources.

This forum is a good indicator of how dead Beckett has become - it used to be active, now is a ghost town. The slabbed cards are what they live off- and talking to people that is dying off.

my opinion on ebay isn't like everybody elses. Every other post on here was about this person or that person "shilling" and making their cards go higher than normal. Who are we kidding? that actually DOES happen. That and also these "sniping" apps. How can you take an ebay sold/completed listing seriously when the bidding is toyed with? I don't think people understand that concept.. youre following an ebay listing record that may have been toyed with. To me that's silly.
ive been here for you years and its sad to see how dead this. Everybody is bad mouthing beckett and bowing to ebay and nobody actually takes a step back to think about how ebay has ruined the hobby and not beckett. As I said.. I have a different take on this than most and its just my opinion
[Image: TT8dhuE.png]
Collecting Terrell Owens,Tom Brady,Peyton Manning, Josh Hamilton, Alex Smith
If you don't have any HIGH end cards, please don't try to acquire one of mine. Thank you.

(01-26-2016, 07:34 AM)jfrench91 Wrote: my opinion on ebay isn't like everybody elses. Every other post on here was about this person or that person "shilling" and making their cards go higher than normal. Who are we kidding? that actually DOES happen. That and also these "sniping" apps. How can you take an ebay sold/completed listing seriously when the bidding is toyed with? I don't think people understand that concept.. youre following an ebay listing record that may have been toyed with. To me that's silly.
ive been here for you years and its sad to see how dead this. Everybody is bad mouthing beckett and bowing to ebay and nobody actually takes a step back to think about how ebay has ruined the hobby and not beckett. As I said.. I have a different take on this than most and its just my opinion
"Shill bidding" - for those that don't know - is when the seller bids on his own item with a different account - sometimes that is a friend's account or simply a different account the seller uses - ebay has done some things to try and stop this practice, but if you really want to do it - you can. It sucks, but I don't think it is the problem this poster suggests because 1.) not as easy as it once was 2.) If seller ends up winning auction - he must pay fees, or go through hassle of filing non-paying winning bidder dispute.

I share the frustration this poster does with fraudulent bids, BUT ebay completes is still the best source out there for pricing. Even Beckett - uses it in now with their own "Market Pricing" .

Ebay hasn't ruined the hobby - the jerks in the hobby have. Before ebay became THE #1 place to sell cards, local card shows were a big force - I can remember guys taking advantage of young kids - those kinds of jerks are on ebay, Beckett, etc. I am disappointed in Beckett in how they have priced their services out of sight and in the process taking a lot of would be sports card enthusiasts. The more I try and use Beckett - the more I am disappointed - they need to listen to some of the constructive criticism - not be such sports card elitist snobs - Just my opinion.

Some real time complaints on Becket pricing - pricing accuracy has A LOT to be desired - example: JJ Watt Auto Rookies are going for prices that we haven't seen in years- really LOW. I can see what Beckett does - they go by the initial prices they see (mostly on ebay completed -ironically) and then stop tracking those prices very closely - with the exception of their favs - like Playoff Contenders. Conversely pricing on players cards that have gone way down - because of players poor play or not being in the league anymore are often way too high. It's just not very accurate pricing -sometimes way to high or way to low. I get with so many products it's really hard to price, but then don't charge so much for your services.

PS - this forum has become a ghost town. Those that were here 5-10 years ago the way it used to be - wonder why it's gotten this bad (posts and responses).

Beckett needs to get off their high horse and try and get a better feel for their target audience.

(01-26-2016, 07:34 AM)jfrench91 Wrote: my opinion on ebay isn't like everybody elses. Every other post on here was about this person or that person "shilling" and making their cards go higher than normal. Who are we kidding? that actually DOES happen. That and also these "sniping" apps. How can you take an ebay sold/completed listing seriously when the bidding is toyed with? I don't think people understand that concept.. youre following an ebay listing record that may have been toyed with. To me that's silly.
+1
[Image: image.jpg]