`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
1991 Topps: The $100 Card, Glowing Backs & More

RE: 1991 Topps: The $100 Card, Glowing Backs & More
(11-06-2015, 10:51 AM)waynetalger Wrote: Wow I not sure what to think. I got my black light this morning and I come up with my Nolan Ryans
Card #1 no glow= 27 ( Like the Biggio)
Card #1 glow = 85 (like Dave Rhode)
Card #6 No Glow= 20 (like Dave Rhode)
card #6 glow= 23
card #6 glow =1 (like Nick Esasky)
Box Bottoms N =2 (Like Biggio)

I just had to check. Do you think I am lucky to have so many glows or do you think now the numbers are pretty even ot the no glows are the harder ones to come by. I am not sure what to make of this or did I debunk the scarcity.
I think you just confirmed that the version that glows with the bold logo on the back (i.e. like Nick Esasky card in original post), are indeed much scarcer.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

You're probably good at cracking codes and finding special power ups on video games, aren't you? I would've never thought to use a black light on cards.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(11-06-2015, 11:26 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: You're probably good at cracking codes and finding special power ups on video games, aren't you? I would've never thought to use a black light on cards.
With as much as I'd like to take credit for uncovering the glow backs, I can't - I saw it on another site and had to try it myself! Sometimes, I'm great at cracking codes ... other times, not so much. Remember in Mario Brothers 1 where you could hop on the turtle shell at the stairs and get 99 lives? I never for the life of me could do it!
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile
www.TanManBaseballFan.com
Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know!
Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict

(11-06-2015, 11:42 AM)mouschi3 Wrote: With as much as I'd like to take credit for uncovering the glow backs, I can't - I saw it on another site and had to try it myself! Sometimes, I'm great at cracking codes ... other times, not so much. Remember in Mario Brothers 1 where you could hop on the turtle shell at the stairs and get 99 lives? I never for the life of me could do it!
No, I didn't even know about the 99 lives.

When it came out, I bought the Game Genie. I used it all the time. It made things so much easier.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Really great post. Unfortunately I took a long break after '88, otherwise I'd be having blacklight fun with my kids tonight. I'll bet you can probably add to the variations already listed on tradingcarddb.com.
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

Actually pulled a 1979 Topps Darrell Chaney out of a 1991 Topps pack. Not worth anything but was still a cool pull back then.
[Image: amazontmsc.jpg]

nice spotlight, now I have 3 5000 ct boxes to look thru, thanks
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

Just bought a box of the 1991 Topps 40years of baseball which seems to be factory sealed at the swap meet... Was wondering if you would suggest leaving it as is or opening up to see if I have any cards worth anything in it?

Very interesting article! Thank you!

(08-18-2019, 07:30 PM)jbissell Wrote: Very interesting article! Thank you!
It's a very, VERY interesting and old post from Tanner in 2015, FYI
And always fun to see some of N5K posts get recirculated!
(08-18-2019, 05:33 PM)MisterE1 Wrote: Just bought a box of the 1991 Topps 40years of baseball which seems to be factory sealed at the swap meet... Was wondering if you would suggest leaving it as is or opening up to see if I have any cards worth anything in it?
IMO, probably not much there individually or as a set... as Tanner mentioned .. hugest print run. Maybe some newly elected HOF players in there that might get some interest individually but there are soooooooo many
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.