`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1984-85 Star - John Stockton - #235 - Rookie

1984-85 Star - John Stockton - #235 - Rookie
I have a chance to buy a 1984-85 Star - John Stockton - #235 - Rookie card here in a day or so. I visually inspected the card today and it was very well centered, surface was good, no real visible edge wear, it did have a slight ding on the corner, but it was pretty hard to see. I offered $100 cash money and the guy said he needed to think about it for a day. Is this a fair offer given it is not graded and I'm wanting to turn a profit?

RE: 1984-85 Star - John Stockton - #235 - Rookie
In my opinion, for that type of card, for such a limited print run, 100.00 is not a good offer. I think for a card like that I would take close to BV, just for the reasons stated above. I see your point for you wanting to turn a profit. I guess your best bet is finding someone who really needs the cash at the moment for that price. Its just my opinion.

It depends on 2 things, how bad is the ding and is the more important one...is the card real or a forgery. There were a bunch of fake Star cards made during the 90s as the values on the cards started rising. Make sure you know what a real Star card looks and feels like before you buy a raw one. There is a good reason as to why most of the grading companies wouldn't grade Star cards for many years. I know I waited until I could buy a nice graded version of that card for my Stockton collection, rather than chance getting a fake one.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(04-05-2015, 02:36 AM)djohn Wrote: It depends on 2 things, how bad is the ding and is the more important one...is the card real or a forgery. There were a bunch of fake Star cards made during the 90s as the values on the cards started rising. Make sure you know what a real Star card looks and feels like before you buy a raw one. There is a good reason as to why most of the grading companies wouldn't grade Star cards for many years. I know I waited until I could buy a nice graded version of that card for my Stockton collection, rather than chance getting a fake one.
Yeah, I read up on the Star cards last night and it is real. This guy used to be a dealer back in the day and pulled this from one of the plastic baggies they came in. The colors were sharp and photo was in-focus and matched ones I saw on eBay that were graded as being legit.

Scored it today for $125.00

See attached pics.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Update:

Just got it back today.

I was kinda hoping for a 9.0

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Very underrated card as is all the Star XRCs.

(05-11-2015, 08:34 PM)KobeJames Wrote: Very underrated card as is all the Star XRCs.
Yeah, I'm definitely in to them now that I know about them and have some available to me to purchase.

It's kind of like a challenge/treasure hunt for me now to find more.

Very nice! congratulations!
-Aries
The Zodiac Collection
Boston Celtics Auto's Past & Present Super Collector
https://www.flickr.com/photos/156376773@...0713393666

(05-11-2015, 09:22 PM)The_Zodiac_Collection Wrote: Very nice! congratulations!
Thanks.