`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pet Peeve #2

Pet Peeve #2
A while back I revealed my first pet peeve with my experience trading here on Beckett Online. I stated that it really irks me when you painstakingly seek traders with a good rating that have cards in your needs and you have some of their needs, only to have them decline because "card no longer needed." Why still have it marked "want"?

Well over the past 7 days I have come up with pet peeve #2. I have been trading for a lot of pre 1980 Baseball and Football. It has become my primary focus and obsession. Like most, I would like to have cards in the best condition I can find. Well the last 4 traders I have initiated trades with have cards from the late 60's marked NM for the most part with the occassional poor and very good. Of course I go for the ones marked NM. All 4 traders have come back with a response like, "sorry, those cards are not really NM. I will need to go and regrade these that intrest you so we can shore up the trade. I only marked them NM to get them up there quickly. I do not have time to grade all my cards individually before listing them."

WHAT THE...??? I just spent all that time looking for a trade match and their cards are misrepresented??? I do not have to have NM cards. I would settle for EX-MT and in a lot of cases EX, but knowing the grade ahead of time changes the whole dynamic of what and how much I send in my offer. UGH!!

OK, I will step down now.

RE: Pet Peeve #2
At least they are letting you know up front. Would be really annoying for you to realize the condition is way worse than what was stated after both parties shipped.
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

Most not all did have their cards marked correctly but with the upgrade to the site it automatically changed the grading on the cards. With some folks like me with 40,000+ cards changed everything to NM instead of mint. As time permits I changed alot of them to mark the cards to what I feel is right. But cards do get missed and on some occasions damaged especially when you pulled the cards 6-7 times expecting to trade it then the trade is cancelled then having to put the cards back. In my case now I pull the cards put them on the front page of the album they are in so if the trade does fall through I can just leave it in that album. I used to put them in stacks on my closet shelf then trades fall though then I have to spend time putting back 400-500 cards at a time wich is more time consuming and chances of getting damage is even greater.

Also entering cards in the organizer in mass amount you meant to go back and correct the grade but forget. That is the reason I allways say let me pull the cards to make sure I have them and recheck the grade I have them marked
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

(01-08-2014, 12:13 PM)iconms Wrote: At least they are letting you know up front. Would be really annoying for you to realize the condition is way worse than what was stated after both parties shipped.
While this is true, I still feel it is very uncool to list them in such a high condition for the sheer reason of laziness.
(01-08-2014, 12:15 PM)waynetalger Wrote: Most not all did have their cards marked correctly but with the upgrade to the site it automatically changed the grading on the cards. With some folks like me with 40,000+ cards changed everything to NM instead of mint. As time permits I changed alot of them to mark the cards to what I feel is right. But cards do get missed and on some occasions damaged especially when you pulled the cards 6-7 times expecting to trade it then the trade is cancelled then having to put the cards back. In my case now I pull the cards put them on the front page of the album they are in so if the trade does fall through I can just leave it in that album. I used to put them in stacks on my closet shelf then trades fall though then I have to spend time putting back 400-500 cards at a time wich is more time consuming and chances of getting damage is even greater.

Also entering cards in the organizer in mass amount you meant to go back and correct the grade but forget. That is the reason I allways say let me pull the cards to make sure I have them and recheck the grade I have them marked
Quick fix: "Hide them" in your org until you have them properly marked.

probably best to assume anything marked an 'nm-8' hasnt been inspected. I find it more upsetting to find people that grade their cards higher than the base nm-8, in fact i usually avoid those traders altogether.just going to have to try to communicate with traders about cards you may be interested in before hand ( sorry i know thats a pain)
[Image: 2choicesig_zps9f1610c4.gif]

(01-08-2014, 12:42 PM)pyr0punk Wrote: probably best to assume anything marked an 'nm-8' hasnt been inspected. I find it more upsetting to find people that grade their cards higher than the base nm-8, in fact i usually avoid those traders altogether.just going to have to try to communicate with traders about cards you may be interested in before hand ( sorry i know thats a pain)
+1 that is way more annoying IMO

With vintage cards being so reliant on condition, i wouldn't put any stock in what condition it's listed at until I can see a scan.
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

And that is great, when you are talking only a few cards with substantial value. I am referring to commons and quantities of 50 or more.

(01-08-2014, 02:52 PM)iconms Wrote: +1 that is way more annoying IMO

With vintage cards being so reliant on condition, i wouldn't put any stock in what condition it's listed at until I can see a scan.
+1 as well. Anytime I do trades involving vintage cards, the 1st thing I ask is about condition. If the cards have significant value I also ask for scans. I have found that the easiest way to mass enter cards from the same set that aren't NM+ into ORG is to put them in stacks based on condition and then enter them in that way. However it definitely takes more time to individually scrutinize vintage cards before listing them, rather than just entering them all in as default condition and then having to get scans or describe flaws when someone shows interest. The problem with listing condition is that sometimes what one person considers VG another person considers Fair, and yet another person considers EX. This is particularly true for vintage cards, and hence the reason why most people just wait for someone to show interest before setting the condition.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I don't have any cards marked for trade or sale but the reason the condition is at default is because I'm only at the stage where I'm trying to get the massive collection inventoried. DH says "I have the complete set," so it goes on the inventory list - I haven't even gotten to the part where I inspect the cards yet. I'm not quite sure how Beckett works yet, but if someone looked at my public collections and contacted me asking if I'd trade, based on what they see on the list, I'd be telling them the same thing - the condition listed isn't the actual condition.

I try to send scans of cards pre-1980 because I'm not a professional grader and my '6' may be someone elses (as I've found out on this board) '2.' This is a polarizing topic because I think my 1969 Brooks Robinson is in great shape, but the other party is trying the get a better deal so they say it's not. I post a scan of the card and let them come back and tell me what they think, then we go from there.