`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: Scanned Graded Card with Email Confirmation
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
45.45%
5 45.45%
No
54.55%
6 54.55%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Beckett Grading with Scanning

RE: Beckett Grading with Scanning
(11-17-2013, 05:51 PM)hercules21 Wrote: but your argument about storing thousands of images costing a lot money is laughable.
What leads you to conclude that his argument is laughable?
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(11-17-2013, 07:25 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: What leads you to conclude that his argument is laughable?
I would like to know too. Depending on what a certain person considers "a lot of money". Its subjective. Regardless its an additional cost be it $100 per 1000 images or $1 per 1000. I grade about 700-900 a year and I know there are others, groups even, who submit 500 a month. Over time those images add up and close to 100,000 images is going to cost money that no smart person OR business is going to cover. Again I ask - who here is willing to dish out $1000 for something used by few?
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

(11-17-2013, 07:36 PM)branesergen Wrote: I would like to know too. Depending on what a certain person considers "a lot of money". Its subjective. Regardless its an additional cost be it $100 per 1000 images or $1 per 1000. I grade about 700-900 a year and I know there are others, groups even, who submit 500 a month. Over time those images add up and close to 100,000 images is going to cost money that no smart person OR business is going to cover. Again I ask - who here is willing to dish out $1000 for something used by few?
Not me. I haven't had anything graded lately.

(11-17-2013, 07:25 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: What leads you to conclude that his argument is laughable?
Perhaps I am misunderstanding what was meant by "hosting and storing" the images. Hard drives for storing data are not expensive, that is what I meant.
(11-17-2013, 07:36 PM)branesergen Wrote: I would like to know too. Depending on what a certain person considers "a lot of money". Its subjective. Regardless its an additional cost be it $100 per 1000 images or $1 per 1000. I grade about 700-900 a year and I know there are others, groups even, who submit 500 a month. Over time those images add up and close to 100,000 images is going to cost money that no smart person OR business is going to cover. Again I ask - who here is willing to dish out $1000 for something used by few?
I'm having difficulty understanding your last question. Are you saying that BGS would have to dish out $1000 on scanners and such in order to provide this service, so you are you asking if any of us think it is worthwhile for BGS to spend that $1000? Are you asking if any of us here on the forum would be willing to dish out the $1000 ourselves? Or perhaps you are asking if we are each willing to spend $1000 more in addition to our regular grading fees on a yearly basis??

Your point was probably that BGS needs to spend big $ on hardware and labor to add this product.

I think it would be difficult for a typical customers to fully understand the cost effectiveness of adding this service, except for those with a business degree or with some sort of unique insight into the card grading industry (like BGS management). I think the intent of this thread was to ascertain or characterize the demand for this product. It sounds like everyone who has posted is interested in the service. Then it becomes a question of how much is it worth to you, individually. You say you submit 700-900 cards a year; I assume many of those are to eventually sell, which means you scan many yourself. So how much are you, personally, willing to spend per card for a hi-res scan from BGS to save you the time?

A normal hard drive will not be able to host images for this type of thing. Try uploading 100 images to an email from your computer. It will take quite awhile. Now imagine group subs with over 500 images. To save time, and overall money (because, lets face it, money is the bottom line) a hosting site with the ability to be searched by the general public will need to be purchased and maintained. This will cost a monthly fee or yearly fee.

The $1000 was a figurative number being asked if anyone wants to basically waste $1000. That is on a personal level. The cost incured by Beckett to apply this would far exceed that. Scanners ($100 per for a cheap one that would probably burn out after scanning 1000 cards in a day considering it will be running non stop. $500 for a top of the line one that might last a month). They will get hot and they will stop working and more than 1 will be needed for the volume.

The hourly wages for a person or people to run those scanners and upload those images. Would probably need 3 people for the volume.

So all of these costs to be incured by Beckett will effect their bottom line at the end of the month. $4000 a month is not going to be absorbed by a company if it is not cost effective. This is in relation to my question - Will you spend $1000 dollars for something that wont be used? Or, another way to ask the same question, would you spend all day on the street selling bananas for a $20 a day profit? Or would you find a better way to make more money with your time?

Not everyone who has posted is not interested. Myself, and I believe Nolan, are not interested and, according to the poll, not even half the people are interested. 5 out of 9 are not. This is of course my personal opinion as yours is you would like the service. And even tho 9 people is a far cry from effective numbers it still shows a majority are not interested. Especially if a cost is incured.

As for my submissions. My resells are very minimal. Out of 900 a year I may resell 50 of them. And just yesterday I scanned and uploaded my Peyton Manning BSG registry. 258 cards took me roughly half a day to scan, upload, label and organize. It actually took me about 15 hours but much of that involved watching football and there is still 100 to be labeled and organized. At a measly 10 cents per image it still would not be cost effective or profitable for me to pay BGS to scan them for me. As pulling the images from the site/email to my computer and reuploading to my site are not worth it. I currently have a 100 card submission being graded and that $10 would grade another card which in turn could be a bigger profit if I resold it. Not to mention I like my own personal way and do not want to rely on someone elses idea of how to scan, crop and name my images.

Many people may like the idea - Me, I dont want the cost of grading to go up for something I dont need/want.

Hell I live in Texas and have to pay taxes on my submissions. $70 could have graded 5 more cards! To me that is $70 wasted for nothing. Want to pay my $70 for something you wont use? lol
Manning PC

(11-18-2013, 07:00 AM)branesergen Wrote: Hell I live in Texas
Hey Danny, right? I didn't know that you live in Texas. I live in Texas too. Luckily, I live close enough that my Dad just drives me to Beckett HQ, so I can just drop off my submission in-person. So, st least I save on Shipping and Insurance.

Yeah I'm down around Houston. I couldnt live that close to Beckett. I would be dropping off cards as I got them in the mail LOL At least this way I wait a month or 2 haha
Manning PC

(11-18-2013, 09:35 AM)branesergen Wrote: Yeah I'm down around Houston. I couldnt live that close to Beckett. I would be dropping off cards as I got them in the mail LOL At least this way I wait a month or 2 haha
That's funny. haha.

I was just reading through this and noticed that was my BGS 9.5 Jordan Refractor that I had slabbed and sold. I see it has changed hands a couple times now...

(11-09-2013, 04:34 PM)patrick54 Wrote: jctone, I'm guessing you started this because you have a problem with the scans on bgs cards like many do but all you need to do to fix the problem is find a flat bed scanner with CCD (charged couple device) and your problem will be fixed. Most all in ones are not CCD devices.
I just bought an Epson V37 to use on Windows 8 and it scans BGS cases with great clarity. The Star cards have always been my biggest problem scanning but this new scanner fixed it, it also does a pretty good job on refractors. It does not scan PSA cases that well but does miracles on BGS scans. All in one devices from what I can tell scan PSA cases better.

photo MICHAELJORDANGATORADE95_zpsd65d4919.jpg

photo MICHAELJORDANREFRACTOR_zps934b9fb8.jpg

(11-18-2013, 02:17 PM)dwise25 Wrote: I was just reading through this and noticed that was my BGS 9.5 Jordan Refractor that I had slabbed and sold. I see it has changed hands a couple times now...
It's nice to see your kids are doing well.