`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fernandez, Myers win ROY

Fernandez, Myers win ROY
Wow, just crossed the wire ... Fernandez beat out Puig in the NL, Myers won in the AL.

Guess all the voters forgot where the Dodgers were in the standings before Puig got there.

Marlins could have finished last without Fernandez, too (the old Pirates joke, who was that, Ralph Kiner?)

RE: Fernandez, Myers win ROY
I think the voters got it right. Puig had the hype, but the reality is Fernandez put up upper echelon numbers - minus wins.

Puig played in 104 games, essentially 2/3 or a season for an everyday player. If you project his number out to a full season they're good, but they aren't that fantastic: .319 BA (assume he maintained throughout the season), 27 HRs, 63 RBIs, 99 Rs and 16 SBs. Good numbers, but not great numbers.
Kepler

I can't say I disagree with Fernandez winning the rookie of the year. His numbers are ridiculous, but when you factor in what PUIG did for the dodgers and his numbers. PUIG is my NL ROY no way the dodgers finish with the record they did without PUIG.

Congrats to Fernandez and my boy wil Myers.

Now just waiting for the value of my Myers collection to go down even further. I mean the better someone plays the harder your collection takes a hit right?
https://rad3427.imgbb.com/
WANT LIST
1. Nolan Arenado RCs (all colors)
2. Ken Griffey Jr (90s inserts)
3. Bryce Harper RCs (all colors)
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto

(11-11-2013, 07:33 PM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: I think the voters got it right. Puig had the hype, but the reality is Fernandez put up upper echelon numbers - minus wins.

Puig played in 104 games, essentially 2/3 or a season for an everyday player. If you project his number out to a full season they're good, but they aren't that fantastic: .319 BA (assume he maintained throughout the season), 27 HRs, 63 RBIs, 99 Rs and 16 SBs. Good numbers, but not great numbers.
Yeah, but Walt Weiss won it one year batting like .250 with 2 home runs, and Bobby Crosby won it hitting in the .220s, I believe — I know they probably were competing against a pretty weak crop, but still, Puig's numbers are WAY better than that ... and better than Myers'.

I was more looking at the impact they each had on the league and especially their team. The Dodgers went on an unreal run over Puig's first 50 games (like 42-8 or something), and went from last to first after he got there.

The Marlins were and are still the Marlins, before, during and after Fernandez got there.

Hey, I'm not complaining, I pulled a Fernandez orange auto/250 out of retail Bowman last year, so this can only help that, LOL.

ROY voting isn't like MVP voting where they look at the team's finish, which at times can account for too much. Fernandez was the hands down favorite to win the award. He's even one of the three finalists for the NL Cy Young award, which we all know is going to Kershaw, but by being a finalist, he was a top three pitcher in the National League
[Image: 2013%20Ginter%20Signature_zpsraq8vd9t.jpg]

If puig was in the al he would have won no question, but Fernandez put up cy young winning type numbers on a terrible marlins team, the guy deserves Roy at a minimum

Yeah, I guess ... I just look at the impact factor, which apparently doesn't count.

Think about the phrase itself — "rookie of the year" — and think about this past season's baseball headlines.

Seriously, what did Fernandez do (other than being a good pitcher) to either impact the Marlins or the game itself?

I guess if Puig was in the AL he would have beat out Myers based on stats — which is apparently all they take into consideration — but like the old saying goes, if my aunt had the right equipment, she'd be my uncle.

(11-11-2013, 07:53 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Yeah, I guess ... I just look at the impact factor, which apparently doesn't count.

Think about the phrase itself — "rookie of the year" — and think about this past season's baseball headlines.

Seriously, what did Fernandez do (other than being a good pitcher) to either impact the Marlins or the game itself?

I guess if Puig was in the AL he would have beat out Myers based on stats — which is apparently all they take into consideration — but like the old saying goes, if my aunt had the right equipment, she'd be my uncle.

MVP is where the impact on the team comes in Roy is more about the most impressive rookie performance which translates to stats....plus a lot of the purists dislike puig ( although Fernandez gets pumped and show boats too)

The funny thing is here, guys, everyone keeps saying Fernandez won on "stats" — OK, the ERA and the strikeouts were good, but 12-6 is not earth-shattering.

I get that he pitched for the Marlins, but that reinforces my point — they didn't win a lot of games, and neither did he.

The "impact" was minimal, at best.

He was a good pitcher on a bad team and didn't pitch in any truly meaningful game all season, so there was no pressure to perform.

Puig's stats were pretty damn good for a little more than a half season, and look at the — I'll say it again — impact on his team.

And they were both hot dogs, personality-wise, so I don't think this vote should have been any worse than co-rookies of the year.

(11-11-2013, 08:09 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: The funny thing is here, guys, everyone keeps saying Fernandez won on "stats" — OK, the ERA and the strikeouts were good, but 12-6 is not earth-shattering.

I get that he pitched for the Marlins, but that reinforces my point — they didn't win a lot of games, and neither did he.

The "impact" was minimal, at best.

He was a good pitcher on a bad team and didn't pitch in any truly meaningful game all season, so there was no pressure to perform.

Puig's stats were pretty damn good for a little more than a half season, and look at the — I'll say it again — impact on his team.

And they were both hot dogs, personality-wise, so I don't think this vote should have been any worse than co-rookies of the year.

But that's the thing impact on team isn't really part of it, and judging a pitcher on wins is about as old school as saying puig ruins he integrity of the game with his showboating

I get thinking it should be puig, really it could go either way...it would be like if trout and Harper were both in the same league up for Roy