Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Looking to meet more Set Builders

Looking to meet more Set Builders
Hey Folks,

I am still pretty new here, and have had a bit of a mixed experience trying to trade via the site. I've had some awesome trades and I've been disappointed by a few. When it comes to trading the types of trades set builders need to do are very different than the types of trades that single player collectors or AU/Relic/# card collectors. Only a set builder will understand how awesome it can be to obtain a 1987 Topps Ed Hearne when it's the last card you need to complete the set. Smile

I have a pretty big collection, and having rediscovered an interest in baseball cards this year when my son discovered baseball, I'm slowly dragging everything out and validating how well I collected 20 years ago. It's a long slow, but fun process.

I was hoping that other set builders could chime on on this thread on what they're building and we could hopefully all help each other out.

Right now I'm working on the following sets:
2013 Topps, Topps Heritage, Topps Gypsy Queen & starting to pick up A&G
1995 Flair
1985 Topps
1984 Topps & Donruss
2001 Topps Traded

I'll likely be adding in 1983 Donruss & 2012 Topps in the next week.

What set(s) are you working on?

RE: Looking to meet more Set Builders
Hey, I have a bunch of 1985 Topps cards that I can offer, and a bunch of 2013 Topps as well.

For sets, I am looking for Topps from pre 1983. I am looking mostly for player collections though such as Matt Harvey and R.A. Dickey.
Super collector of Matt Harvey

Trading for set building seems to be a challenge on here. It's tough to find someone who has a lot of common set needs of yours and is willing to trade for commons in return. Usually you have to shell out other misc stars, parallels or inserts to get what you need. Seems like modern set collectors are a rare breed of collectors. Most collectors seem to go after HOFer's, PC Players, PC teams or whoever the "hottest" rookie/prospect player (with the most hype) seems to be at the given moment.
Anyways I still enjoy set building. Every year I try to complete all three base Topps flagship sets, Heritage, Topps Chrome and all three Bowman sets (base, chrome, draft). I am also working on the 1977 topps set with 50 or so to go.
Currently I have a lot of 2013 Heritage FT.
Nice to see a fellow set collector on here Wink

I have a lot of needs and extras. Lets start with your 2013 heritage. what do you need

(08-19-2013, 03:22 PM)JRMdawg311 Wrote: Trading for set building seems to be a challenge on here. It's tough to find someone who has a lot of common set needs of yours and is willing to trade for commons in return. Usually you have to shell out other misc stars, parallels or inserts to get what you need. Seems like modern set collectors are a rare breed of collectors. Most collectors seem to go after HOFer's, PC Players, PC teams or whoever the "hottest" rookie/prospect player (with the most hype) seems to be at the given moment.
Anyways I still enjoy set building. Every year I try to complete all three base Topps flagship sets, Heritage, Topps Chrome and all three Bowman sets (base, chrome, draft). I am also working on the 1977 topps set with 50 or so to go.
Currently I have a lot of 2013 Heritage FT.
Nice to see a fellow set collector on here Wink
You are exactly right. That is why I've traded for a $10 card and given $20-$25 in commons away. I recently traded 1200 cards and only got 33 back. I think the BV's were $350 to $225.
LF:  Kyle Tucker, Ryan Mountcastle, Shane Bieber, Alex Bohm, Joe Ryan, & Dale Murphy

Bad traders: almostbaker, beantownsfinest, thespirit33, GRIFFEY MAN 1

Check me for your more recent needs. I may be able to set you up with a block of ginter from this year too.

Is this thing on?

Hi Jody (and Other Fellow Set Builders!)

I'm always glad for a chance to make the acquaintance of other set builders. It often seems we're the last of a vanishing breed for sure!

I might be able to help with your 2013 Topps needs. I have a lot of base from series 1 and 2, as well as a good many inserts for trade. I've completed the base set, but still need inserts. It's all set out in my org.

Also working on other sets going back to 1999, so hit me up for a trade anytime.

David

(08-19-2013, 02:36 PM)JodyFKerr Wrote: Hey Folks,

I am still pretty new here, and have had a bit of a mixed experience trying to trade via the site. I've had some awesome trades and I've been disappointed by a few. When it comes to trading the types of trades set builders need to do are very different than the types of trades that single player collectors or AU/Relic/# card collectors. Only a set builder will understand how awesome it can be to obtain a 1987 Topps Ed Hearne when it's the last card you need to complete the set. Smile

I have a pretty big collection, and having rediscovered an interest in baseball cards this year when my son discovered baseball, I'm slowly dragging everything out and validating how well I collected 20 years ago. It's a long slow, but fun process.

I was hoping that other set builders could chime on on this thread on what they're building and we could hopefully all help each other out.

Right now I'm working on the following sets:
2013 Topps, Topps Heritage, Topps Gypsy Queen & starting to pick up A&G
1995 Flair
1985 Topps
1984 Topps & Donruss
2001 Topps Traded

I'll likely be adding in 1983 Donruss & 2012 Topps in the next week.

What set(s) are you working on?
Always trading for set needs -and for Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Clayton Kershaw, Manny Machado, Buster Posey, and Frank Thomas.

I am one of the more outspoken Bowman collectors here, at least i think thats fair to say. and yes it can be hard. Going with what the earlier folks were saying but it really depends on how bad you want that last card or cards. and what you plan on doing with them.
For the most part I set collect for the future. and because its fun and difficult especially when it comes to those pesky numbered inserts.

But if you have anything bowman i can give up my 13 GQ or heritage.
Just let me know.
www.northerncards.net
Bowman Set Collector
Blue Jays Guy
Supercollecting Jorge Saez and Jose Berrios

If you get a list together, I have about 15,000 84 and 85 topps to trade
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

Another big set-builder here!! I`m so glad you said it Jody because I get pounded with "hey give me this auto and gu and I`ll give you 40 base cards you need" "hey the bv`s right on, what`s the problem?" It is totally different the way we trade, but I have found quite a few guys who respect what I`m trying to do and have helped me out big time!! Well it`s great to meet another builder and good luck!! Check me anytime for your needs and hey guys maybe the set-builders should get together and have our own thread so we can help each other out without going through a bunch of trades that only waste everyones time!? Can we do that? I`m still new here too so I`m not sure