`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My WBC Tribute experimentation (updated)

My WBC Tribute experimentation (updated)
Ok, well since I was successful with my Inception Experimentation, I figured I'd try my hand with WBC Tribute. I loved the WBC this year and I was really excited about the release until I saw the price ... A little sticker shock and I was NOT going to pay $240 a box (currently on sale at blowout for $127 ... Much better) for essentially some base cards, 4 autos and 2 patch cards per box. There was HIGH probability of getting junk, so decided to spend half a box (at the time $120) and see what I could get fishing on the eBay.
Here's the results ... I ended up going a little over my $120 budget ... $137 was the total with shipping.
7 autos (6 base, 1 sepia /35) 10 patch cards
[Image: null_zps4d23d47a.jpg]
Pictured above L to R back row Luis Mendoza, Derek Holland, Jonathan Lucroy
Front row: Anthony Rizzo, Yovani Gallardo, Lucroy again Smile

[Image: null_zps60f59794.jpg]
Picture above Lto R back row: Erick Aybar /35, Lucroy /131, Cano /131
Middle row: Braun /25, Hanley Ramirez /50, Cano /35
front row: Holland /131, Giancarlo Stanton /131, Fernando Rodney /5

[Image: null_zps7a4c72b7.jpg]
Picture above Lto R: Lucroy /35, Jason Grilli /35

What I found curious ... Some of the higher numbered cards had better patches than the lower numbered ... Like so.
[Image: null_zps6cacbed7.jpg]
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: My WBC Tribute experimentation
Nice, I really like the concept of showing what can be had for the price of 1 box.
The WBC product had some nice patches, got to see lots of different colors that we don't get from MLB
Congrats on all the nice pickups!
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

(08-15-2013, 07:30 AM)petesahuttt Wrote: Nice, I really like the concept of showing what can be had for the price of 1 box.
The WBC product had some nice patches, got to see lots of different colors that we don't get from MLB
Congrats on all the nice pickups!
Thanks, Pete!
I figure that I did better than the original price by far. The sale price was a little tougher to compete with, but still managed to get +6 patches and +3 autos. ... Oh, and a redemption auto .. Forgot to put that in the picture or in the tally, but was part of the $137 cost.
No huge hits, but 10 extra hits vs. a bunch of base cards are just fine by me.

All in all, I guess I did way better with my Inception Experimentation than this one, but this wasn't a failure at all.

BTW: I just noticed that names and serial numbers can't be read easily ... I'll update them as soon as I get home.
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Great cards, man! We are especially partial to the Lucroys, as this has been the first licensed product to have his autos in and the first product overall to have patch cards. We have noticed the odd discrepancy between patches on the lower numbered cards compared to the higher numbered ones. Topps quality control leaves a little to be desired sometimes!
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

(08-15-2013, 03:50 PM)aprirr Wrote: Great cards, man! We are especially partial to the Lucroys, as this has been the first licensed product to have his autos in and the first product overall to have patch cards. We have noticed the odd discrepancy between patches on the lower numbered cards compared to the higher numbered ones. Topps quality control leaves a little to be desired sometimes!
Yeah, isn't it weird that the /35 Lucroy has just some average fabric swatch while the /131 is awesome?!?!?!
I think my 2 Cano cards are the same /131 great patch, /35 ...ehhh.
Wonder if it's like that across the board.
Anyway, yeah, figured you and Bella were onto something with Lucroy. He's putting up impressive numbers and I'm partial to catchers, so picked up a few ... hope I wasn't bidding against you two on any of them.

BTW: I think he has two different auto card pictures and two different patch card pictures.

(08-15-2013, 04:11 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Yeah, isn't it weird that the /35 Lucroy has just some average fabric swatch while the /131 is awesome?!?!?!
I think my 2 Cano cards are the same /131 great patch, /35 ...ehhh.
Wonder if it's like that across the board.
Anyway, yeah, figured you and Bella were onto something with Lucroy. He's putting up impressive numbers and I'm partial to catchers, so picked up a few ... hope I wasn't bidding against you two on any of them.

BTW: I think he has two different auto card pictures and two different patch card pictures.
Nope, you weren't bidding against us. He does have 2 different auto pics (#JL and #JL2) but only one patch pic. We are only missing the patch/10 and the #JL2 auto/15. Only have the base #JL auto. Ran out of money!
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

(08-15-2013, 04:22 PM)aprirr Wrote: Nope, you weren't bidding against us. He does have 2 different auto pics (#JL and #JL2) but only one patch pic. We are only missing the patch/10 and the #JL2 auto/15. Only have the base #JL auto. Ran out of money!
I hear ya!
Money IS a major concern right now ... especially when you have kids and school is about to start back up!!
Well, if I see those Lucroy's anywhere, I'll alert you and give you first right of refusal.

That Lacroy patch is sick!

(08-15-2013, 04:32 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Well, if I see those Lucroy's anywhere, I'll alert you and give you first right of refusal.
Thanks, Doc! You are a gentleman and a scholar!

(08-15-2013, 05:49 PM)treyjyert Wrote: That Lacroy patch is sick!
Thanks.
Tribute WBC has Beautiful cards, sick patches and some great current stars and maybe some future talent, too. If you haven't seen them in person, you should ... Pics don't do them justice!