`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012-13 Panini Prime - Buyer Beware

2012-13 Panini Prime - Buyer Beware
I don't know why my first post got deleted, but I wanted to give everyone a heads-up on 2012-13 Panini Prime and the fact that at least one of the jerseys in the set may not be a real gamer.

See the thread here: http://www.gameworn.net/cgi-bin/GW/ultim...1;t=024332

RE: 2012-13 Panini Prime - Buyer Beware
Ahh, little bits of fabric...
Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com

Wow, very intense thread there. I guess it is like anything, you can only take the word of the person selling the product. I have to believe that Panini did their job to make sure it was as "real" as they can. The place they bought it from did the same. I am sure there are lots of fake GU cards out there now either from companies or after market "Kenny's" who change the patches to sell for higher profit.

I would think Bruce would be on the side of the guys from that site in that cutting up a jersey is the worst thing in the world. I agree to a point that I would love to have a Roy gamer in my collection but I can't afford a collection of his actual game gear so cards are the closest I can get.
[Image: 36415429146_421111660f_b.jpg]Scott Nobles, on Flickr

awful lot of card drama on various sites lately...it's almost funny until you realize these are mainly adults going back and forth.

(08-13-2013, 10:28 AM)washjeff Wrote: awful lot of card drama on various sites lately...it's almost funny until you realize these are mainly adults going back and forth.
Which is when it becomes tragically hilarious. I don't know about you guys, but I collect cards. If one I would collect has a piece of fabrics shoved in it or some pen marks on it, it doesn't matter if it was event worn or even a replica or (god forbid) a sticker auto!
If that's how it was made I want it. I'm a card collector. I collect cards.
Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com

(08-13-2013, 10:17 AM)snobles Wrote: Wow, very intense thread there. I guess it is like anything, you can only take the word of the person selling the product. I have to believe that Panini did their job to make sure it was as "real" as they can. The place they bought it from did the same. I am sure there are lots of fake GU cards out there now either from companies or after market "Kenny's" who change the patches to sell for higher profit.

I would think Bruce would be on the side of the guys from that site in that cutting up a jersey is the worst thing in the world. I agree to a point that I would love to have a Roy gamer in my collection but I can't afford a collection of his actual game gear so cards are the closest I can get.
It really is such a complex thing, and the fact that the argument has already spilled over from that site to here shows just how controversial, yet meaningful it is now, more than it has ever been.

I do collect cards, I do also collect game-worn memorabilia of all sorts. I have been called a hypocritical collector...I don't see myself as such.

Part of my goal is the preservation of historically significant pieces of goaltending memorabilia. If a card company cuts up a 1996-97 season Avs Roy jersey, it doesn't bother me too much, because the historical significance is not that great in comparison to countless of his other pieces. However, when a 1995-96 Roy Stanley Cup winning jersey or a Georges Vezina pad, or a 2007 Stanley Cup Teemu Selanne jersey is chopped up, it does bother me. These are all significant pieces of sporting history that can no longer be fully appreciated. Few players ever win a Stanley Cup, and relics from the furthest bygone era of the NHL are impossible finds. When they're cut up, the value is defeated, and a piece of history is gone and cannot be appreciated in its entirety.

Having said that, I will not boycott a company myself over the cutting up of a jersey. I still buy products because wheeling and dealing cards with other collectors is more fun and less of a hassle than wheeling and dealing with jerseys. That, and I just can't stand the thought of never visiting my LCS again...

(08-13-2013, 10:44 AM)wickabee Wrote: Which is when it becomes tragically hilarious. I don't know about you guys, but I collect cards. If one I would collect has a piece of fabrics shoved in it or some pen marks on it, it doesn't matter if it was event worn or even a replica or (god forbid) a sticker auto!
If that's how it was made I want it. I'm a card collector. I collect cards.
well said - the owner of my LCS told me 20 years ago (and still does) to collect for the fun of it, not for the money. if you do that, you'll always enjoy it. and I have enjoyed it all this time. and will continue to.

it was revolutionary in 96-97... it's mundane in 2013..

maybe we can move on to something else now?
[Image: finlandbanner.jpg]
Bucket - http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/phildonu37/ (I don't update my bucket when stuff is gone)

(08-13-2013, 05:34 PM)phildo37 Wrote: it was revolutionary in 96-97... it's mundane in 2013..

maybe we can move on to something else now?
I get what you are saying but where do they go from here? I am all for inserts and base but the "video" cards were rough and I am not a fan of 3D.

I am not saying it is a bad idea just not sure what they would do to keep people interested.

[Image: 36415429146_421111660f_b.jpg]Scott Nobles, on Flickr

(08-13-2013, 05:44 PM)snobles Wrote: I get what you are saying but where do they go from here? I am all for inserts and base but the "video" cards were rough and I am not a fan of 3D.

I am not saying it is a bad idea just not sure what they would do to keep people interested.
there's lots of things they haven't put in cards yet - face shields, ice, goal lamps, locker room carpet, line-up cards, European-league patches

all the companies are guilty of being lazy... jerseys & patches.. over and over and over and over

the collectors are somewhat to blame too... can't be happy with just a base RC anymore.. it has to glow in the dark, and have the player's DNA on it, and be #1/1/1/1/1

don't get me wrong, the collecting world is big and diverse and I wouldn't slam anyone individually on their collecting choices.. to each their own... but, as I've said, I've seen it go from unique to useless, and I'll stick with my UD YG, SP FW, select 90's sets, and Finnish Elite League/Finnish National Team/Detroit Red Wings game-used jerseys...

...for those of you who like the other stuff, I've got lots I'd be willing to part with
[Image: finlandbanner.jpg]
Bucket - http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/phildonu37/ (I don't update my bucket when stuff is gone)