`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
seller wants to avoid ebay fees, advice?

seller wants to avoid ebay fees, advice?
hey guys so I bought a 125 dollar card from a seller last week and everything went smooth as silk. he actually emailed me too asking if the card met my standards because it was raw and wanted to get it graded, I told him I was very happy we talked some basketball and then asked him if he had any others he wanted to sell. we agreed on $210 sale for 2 more cards he had that he said he was going to put up next week but hell give me first shot on them.

he emailed me back today saying he really wants avoid ebay fees and that if we could just do that transaction via paypal. he has 648 feedback 100% not even a neutral in his history and my gut tells me hes cool.

that being said, what risks am I taking on by just sending him the money on paypal and not actually doing the transaction through ebay? have any of you ever done it? how did it turn out? if he sends me empty packages what recourse do I have?

ive saved every email just in case too, I haven't sent the payment yet because I told him it deposited onto paypal from my account and it should take a couple days, he said its no problem and hell hold the cards for me. he sent me scans of 10 different cards and I chose the 2 I wanted also, so ive seen the cards, and ive saved those emails too.

what do you think?
I forgot to mention he also promised me the cards will grade at least 9 bgs and if they grade less than that I can send them back and hell refund me for the price of grading + the cards. from the scans I saw the looked immaculate
I collect mainly New York Mets, New York Sports legends of any sport, and pretty much any "legend".

Michael Jordan
Lebron James RC's + autos
Kobe Bryant 96-97 Topps Chrome + autos
Geno Smith autos

RE: seller wants to avoid ebay fees, advice?
(07-30-2013, 10:15 PM)AlexRafco Wrote: hey guys so I bought a 125 dollar card from a seller last week and everything went smooth as silk. he actually emailed me too asking if the card met my standards because it was raw and wanted to get it graded, I told him I was very happy we talked some basketball and then asked him if he had any others he wanted to sell. we agreed on $210 sale for 2 more cards he had that he said he was going to put up next week but hell give me first shot on them.

he emailed me back today saying he really wants avoid ebay fees and that if we could just do that transaction via paypal. he has 648 feedback 100% not even a neutral in his history and my gut tells me hes cool.

that being said, what risks am I taking on by just sending him the money on paypal and not actually doing the transaction through ebay? have any of you ever done it? how did it turn out? if he sends me empty packages what recourse do I have?

ive saved every email just in case too, I haven't sent the payment yet because I told him it deposited onto paypal from my account and it should take a couple days, he said its no problem and hell hold the cards for me. he sent me scans of 10 different cards and I chose the 2 I wanted also, so ive seen the cards, and ive saved those emails too.

what do you think?
I forgot to mention he also promised me the cards will grade at least 9 bgs and if they grade less than that I can send them back and hell refund me for the price of grading + the cards. from the scans I saw the looked immaculate
You can do it that way, just make sure you pay him the paypal like you're paying for goods/services. That will give you some protection, but not the same amount that ebay would give you as a buyer.
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

(07-30-2013, 10:21 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: You can do it that way, just make sure you pay him the paypal like you're paying for goods/services. That will give you some protection, but not the same amount that ebay would give you as a buyer.
can you be more specific? what protection do I have?
I collect mainly New York Mets, New York Sports legends of any sport, and pretty much any "legend".

Michael Jordan
Geno Smith autos

70% of the cards I buy are done that way, If you pay a direct paypal invoice as long as you have all the details of what you are buying and the terms of the sale on the invoice including the way the item will be sent, you will be covered, I think you must to signature on delivery also...

The only real difference in ebay to paypal direct is the time it takes to open a case if things go wrong...

Ebay will sort it out very fast but direct paypal will take a lot longer...

As long as you feel like you can trust the seller, you shouldn't have a problem...
Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]

oh man im just thinking now if one of these cards grade a 9.5 I made the deal of century, im too excited. if all goes well you guys can expect scans within a week! if it doesn't go well you guys can be my therapists as ill be ranting for a while

Michael Jordan
Geno Smith autos

I think it's safe to say he's trustworthy ... he's not going to risk his eBay rating or go out of his way to help you like that if he's shady.

I mean, 648 at 100 percent is pretty reliable.

I've made one of those deals. It was for less, $40 including shipping etc. I was going back and forth until I told my self that you have to trust people in this world, they usually are good people who share the same thoughts as you - this guy risks sending stuff to you and once your reieve it you play it out as if the cards never arrived.

I'd say go for it - as the kids say it now a-days - YOLO and LOL. (One day I'll learn what that means)
PC - Jeff Taylor #44 Charlotte Bobcats - 42/110 = 38%

Also looking for Jim Jackson autograph cards.

(07-31-2013, 12:43 AM)johanolsson Wrote: I've made one of those deals. It was for less, $40 including shipping etc. I was going back and forth until I told my self that you have to trust people in this world, they usually are good people who share the same thoughts as you - this guy risks sending stuff to you and once your reieve it you play it out as if the cards never arrived.

I'd say go for it - as the kids say it now a-days - YOLO and LOL. (One day I'll learn what that means)
lol for when you find out the meaning...
Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]

(07-30-2013, 10:21 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: You can do it that way, just make sure you pay him the paypal like you're paying for goods/services. That will give you some protection, but not the same amount that ebay would give you as a buyer.

(07-30-2013, 10:23 PM)AlexRafco Wrote: can you be more specific? what protection do I have?
What he's talking about is how you pay. When you send PayPal directly, instead of through EBay, you have different options on what you are sending.

If you chose "Paying a bill" or "Paying for goods / services" (I forget how it's listed) you pay a small charge, but you can open a case for goods or services not rendered if the cards don't arrive.

If you chose "GIFT" you have ZERO way of claiming for your money back.

That being said, I know at least one local seller who settles most of his sales off-line to avoid all the fees...
''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)

If you bought the first item on eBay and the rest off eBay then you should be fine. You can always make a claim against the card you actually bought on eBay. Also, if you pay via credit card on Paypal then you have another avenue to get your money back if you have any issues.
Before you assume that 648 with 100% positive is great check the details. The percentage is only based off of a certain period of time, plus he could have done nothing but BUY things on eBay to get his feedback score up. Just remember, if you do a little research you should be able to keep you mind at ease. Thanks
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/