`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Is there any company lazier than Panini?
Thumbs Down 
Is there any company lazier than Panini?
The reason I stopped collecting is because of company's cookie cutter ways. I still follow the hobby in hopes that, eventually, there will be a paradigm shift or a new company comes along and does it the right way. I don't typically like to start negative conversations on the boards, as I feel that constructive criticism is more effective BUT...... Panini is the worst of the worst IMO.

Aside from typical industry laziness (00 jersey numbers in early-mid year releases), panini has really outdone themselves. First, they recycled the EXACT same design as the used in 2012 for their 2013 for their pen pals autos.

And now they have completely robbed another (possibly even lazier) company's design.
This is Leaf Valiant (first released in 2012):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-LEAF-VALIAN...58a007fc3c

Now check out the images panini just released in their R&S sneak peek:
http://paniniamerica.wordpress.com/2013/...-football/
Does that Aaron Rodgers look familiar? I thought so too.

Is it just me who gets annoyed by this crap or does anyone else share my displeasure?
collecting LeGarrette Blount, Colt Lyerla & other Ducks
[Image: youngducks-1.png]
[Image: inceptionrainbow3.jpg]

RE: Is there a company more lazy than Panini?
Wow - that is pretty bad. I wonder if Leaf will sue them? Thats more than lazy - that looks like a straight up rip off.
NY Giants and HOF/legend/superstar collector.
[Image: GiantsFade.png]

RE: Is there any company lazier than Panini?
I see your point and raise you this.... Dont buy it! ... just buy what you like and stuff YOU like to look at.... I wouldnt buy the Leaf never mind the "rip-off" .... I stopped buying boxes because of the crap that goes along with it! who really wants to have to buy a whole case to get 2-3 decent hits?.... granted every box and every case cant be winning lottery tickets. BUT I DRAW THE LINE AT THE JERSEY CRAP!... there have been several Tannehills that are still sitting on the shelf of my LCS ... I dont have them in my PC .... why ? you ask..... because I refuse to buy a card with a patch from the number 3 when Tannehill wars 17.... I know its event worn and prolly worn over a few jerseys at that .... but cant companies invest in jerseys with their actual numbers? I know time is an issue and numbers havent been assigned before rookie day photo shoots .... but maybe atleast make them wear their college numbers. There will be alot more "00" jerseys if the NFL pushes the Draft back to may.

Just my 2 cents

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

I think the Rodgers card is different enough that they wouldn't be able to do anything about it. Similar? Yeah, they look similar, but I mean, there are Fleer designs from the 90's that are similar to Topps designs from around the same time. There are a couple of elements that are close, but they definitely aren't the same. The Rodgers card could even have been inspired by that set from Leaf, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Actually, it's how the card business goes, really. I mean, Panini Prizm could be considered a knock off of Topps Finest from the mid to late 90's, since they are close like those two cards.

As to the 00 issue, I am ok with it to a certain degree. Until you have actual pictures of the player in the team uniform, you can't really have a product with them wearing the team uniform. But, with the advent of Photoshop, you can make a realistic looking photo mashup that makes it look like they are in the uniform, and you can have the product out while you are making stuff with their actual uniforms. I mean, if you are complaining about the 00, and not the fact that the pictures of them actually were taken of them in their college uniform and then changed to look like they are in their new team's uniform, that's pretty darn good editing, IMO. I like seeing the player in the uniform, and the 00 shows me that it was a card from before the Rookie Premiere when they actually had a number. It gives the early cards, like Score, the ability to have the players look like they are in their drafted team's uniform, and have them out quickly. Later releases have them in their actual game day gear. I mean, if it's that big of an issue, you could just skip the products that have that in them, right? Or maybe just buy singles from them so you don't have to see the 00?

(05-21-2013, 02:44 PM)phinzphan1372 Wrote: I see your point and raise you this.... Dont buy it! ... just buy what you like and stuff YOU like to look at.... I wouldnt buy the Leaf never mind the "rip-off" .... I stopped buying boxes because of the crap that goes along with it! who really wants to have to buy a whole case to get 2-3 decent hits?.... granted every box and every case cant be winning lottery tickets. BUT I DRAW THE LINE AT THE JERSEY CRAP!... there have been several Tannehills that are still sitting on the shelf of my LCS ... I dont have them in my PC .... why ? you ask..... because I refuse to buy a card with a patch from the number 3 when Tannehill wars 17.... I know its event worn and prolly worn over a few jerseys at that .... but cant companies invest in jerseys with their actual numbers? I know time is an issue and numbers havent been assigned before rookie day photo shoots .... but maybe atleast make them wear their college numbers. There will be alot more "00" jerseys if the NFL pushes the Draft back to may.

Just my 2 cents

I don't buy anything. Boxes packs or singles

so why complain here if you dont collect? just my 2 cents too
[Image: TT8dhuE.png]
Collecting Terrell Owens,Tom Brady,Peyton Manning, Josh Hamilton, Alex Smith
If you don't have any HIGH end cards, please don't try to acquire one of mine. Thank you.

Well actually Leaf stole the design from Donruss from 1998

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TERRELL-OWENS-PU...5655ecd69a

Since Panini bought DLP they are just fine.
Finally Completed!!!
[Image: CruzRainbow_zpsabe5dffb.jpg]

I just want to know how Panini got away with making Panini Black while Upper Deck is still making their version.
I think I've finally lost interest.

(05-21-2013, 05:30 PM)collinsfanatic Wrote: Well actually Leaf stole the design from Donruss from 1998

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TERRELL-OWENS-PU...5655ecd69a

Since Panini bought DLP they are just fine.
Wow. Good find. All of the sudden I'm less angry with panini. Thank you

Not a problem one of my favorite insert sets really clean design
Finally Completed!!!
[Image: CruzRainbow_zpsabe5dffb.jpg]