`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for advice

Looking for advice
I have been collecting football cards exclusively since 2007, I collected baseball as a kid and shortly in 2004, I have since sold all of my baseball cards. I have gotten the "itch" to start with baseball again, just collecting Orioles, there playoff run last year most likely has something to do with my urge, but of course, I want to bust some wax, my question is, with me being out of baseball for so long, what do people like, what are the best low to mid end products?
[Image: ce8f6545-0bdb-49f7-be76-b13239e656d6_zps6d8f6973.png]

RE: Looking for advice
My 2 cents, well maybe 5 cents since I tend to ramble on:

Bowman, Bowman Chrome, and Bowman Draft are nice - I've done well with hits in Bowman Draft. You get current players in Bowman and Bowman Chrome as well as some more notable prospects. Bowman Draft is prospects and draft picks.

Topps - the standard which many of us grew up on. The yearly sets don't differ that much in design usually but they are relatively nice. Not shiny. Several insert sets every year as well. Throw in the WalMart (blue border) Target (red border) and Toys'R'Us (purple border) variations and you have a lot of cards to get of your Orioles. Downside is the majority of hits are pretty weak in my opinion. I'm not saying all hits need to let me retire, but I'm just not thrilled with most of the guys you get hits of.

Donruss Elite Extra Edition is interesting year to year. Several autos per box - usually 6-10 depending on your luck and the year. Sometimes the autos are of younger players who may never make the pros or if they do they are several years off. Lots of parallels as well. The major downside to me of these sets is the lack of MLB logos/uniforms due to Panini / MLB arguments.

Not sure what your budget for mid-end is but you may like Bowman Platinum and Topps Finest as well.

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it.

(02-27-2013, 03:58 PM)aktlingit Wrote: My 2 cents, well maybe 5 cents since I tend to ramble on:

Bowman, Bowman Chrome, and Bowman Draft are nice - I've done well with hits in Bowman Draft. You get current players in Bowman and Bowman Chrome as well as some more notable prospects. Bowman Draft is prospects and draft picks.

Topps - the standard which many of us grew up on. The yearly sets don't differ that much in design usually but they are relatively nice. Not shiny. Several insert sets every year as well. Throw in the WalMart (blue border) Target (red border) and Toys'R'Us (purple border) variations and you have a lot of cards to get of your Orioles. Downside is the majority of hits are pretty weak in my opinion. I'm not saying all hits need to let me retire, but I'm just not thrilled with most of the guys you get hits of.

Donruss Elite Extra Edition is interesting year to year. Several autos per box - usually 6-10 depending on your luck and the year. Sometimes the autos are of younger players who may never make the pros or if they do they are several years off. Lots of parallels as well. The major downside to me of these sets is the lack of MLB logos/uniforms due to Panini / MLB arguments.

Not sure what your budget for mid-end is but you may like Bowman Platinum and Topps Finest as well.

Bowman products are good, they highlight the veterans but also add a ton of prospects, as well as parallels and inserts.

A Topps product might give you a better shot at getting cards of retired Orioles.
Collecting: Fred McGriff, Chipper, Griffey, and Todd Helton.
[Image: 0989_001-1.jpg]

Thank you, btw, I love the card in your sig!!

(02-27-2013, 04:16 PM)zaccheus85 Wrote: Bowman products are good, they highlight the veterans but also add a ton of prospects, as well as parallels and inserts.

A Topps product might give you a better shot at getting cards of retired Orioles.

Low end still Topps base you can't go wrong

High End to be honest I'd stay away and buy singles off ebay the risks just outweigh the reward

Mid level Bowman Chrome is and will be the king for a very very long time.

Good to know. I love Topps Chrome Football, one of my favorite products, so I'm sure I'd like it just as much.

(02-27-2013, 04:29 PM)chevy man 22 Wrote: Low end still Topps base you can't go wrong

High End to be honest I'd stay away and buy singles off ebay the risks just outweigh the reward

Mid level Bowman Chrome is and will be the king for a very very long time.

Bowman Chrome and Bowman Draft is always good. Most of the time it starts off closer to the low end but tends to move up to high end depending on player content.

You usually only get one auto (two at best) in a box though. So if you are looking for autographs and such, you may want to go with a Panini release...but with baseball, I noticed that the memorabilia/relics don't do as well as other sports (too much supply and not enough demand?).

Im basically in love with the Bowman Draft Sets and different parallels. same with Bowman Chrome but Topps Chrome baseball is very fun as well.

I dont know if Topps Heritage can be considered low end but more low-mid I like it more than base Topps because they have better inserts and have a better look to them,
www.northerncards.net
Bowman Set Collector
Blue Jays Guy
Supercollecting Jorge Saez and Jose Berrios

I like that Panini seems to have more auto's in their products, but don't like that fact that they don't have an MLB license. It hurts the hobby imo, like how UD has the NCAA license exclusively, it make press pass and leaf look very inferior and topps early stuff like Bowman last year and Rising Rookies the year before look very generic and unappealing, again, my opinion. I def will be picking up some Bowman Chrome and Draft soon.

(02-27-2013, 04:51 PM)kstjst Wrote: Bowman Chrome and Bowman Draft is always good. Most of the time it starts off closer to the low end but tends to move up to high end depending on player content.

You usually only get one auto (two at best) in a box though. So if you are looking for autographs and such, you may want to go with a Panini release...but with baseball, I noticed that the memorabilia/relics don't do as well as other sports (too much supply and not enough demand?).

I will check out Heritage, I remember it being on of my favorites in 2004 when I collected briefly.

(02-27-2013, 04:56 PM)x5ofspades Wrote: Im basically in love with the Bowman Draft Sets and different parallels. same with Bowman Chrome but Topps Chrome baseball is very fun as well.

I dont know if Topps Heritage can be considered low end but more low-mid I like it more than base Topps because they have better inserts and have a better look to them,