`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This just bothered me...

This just bothered me...
I am looking at buying a collection on the bay that someone is trying to get rid of. I have found a few that would make for good investments if I were to break it up and sell each card individually. The thing that bothers me is how there are some that seem like scams. One was a "lady" who is selling her "husbands" collection after she catches him cheating. The way the auction is set up and the wording in the description is that of someone who knows eBay very well. They even set up a bonus system for multiple lots bought. There was another that says that their dad died and wants to sell off the collection. Coincidentally a lot of the wording was almost identical. Why would someone feel the need to make up stories like that to sell cards? I would think that they would have better luck selling them by just posting pictures of the products they have?

RE: This just bothered me...
My guess is they are trying to come off as clueless about the contents to the potential buyers. Going this route, potential buyers might then think they could be hitting a gold mine. I'm amazed at the number of listings I've seen like this.

I did one of those years ago. Was something along those lines bla bla husbands bla bla

I ended up getting tons of junk and the few cards I did get worth a little were damaged.
Stay away from stuff like that all there doing is unloading tons of commons to people.

Its just like the pople selling "vintage " unopened packs of cards...1989 topps lol and other sweet years like that.

There hoping to find suckers out there thinking wow this is a great deal

I am realizing that the only ones that are worth buying are going to be fairly expensive and have specifics listed in the description. The good news for me is that my wife is going to go halves with me and help me start my ebay store. I am hoping to get enough money to fund my hobby more. Obviously the dream would be to make enough money that I can do that as a full time job and just work my online store from home.

Ya it's a scam. Seems good but the cards you get will be junk

Yeah, they are trying to seem like they are unwittingly selling something great, but it is actually crappy '80s and early '90s wax.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

I've got to say though, after seeing this thread and then going to look at some of the listings you're talking about, a few can be somewhat amusing to read.

The listing title drives me nuts though. "EXs SPorts caRD COlLeCTIon....."

i know every one of these sellers. they are all liars

my favorite one, back in the day, posted pictures of "herself" in the auction. the seller was actually named Gary, and the chick was some internet model he copied the pictures off the web

Steer clear.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(01-13-2013, 08:53 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: i know every one of these sellers. they are all liars

my favorite one, back in the day, posted pictures of "herself" in the auction. the seller was actually named Gary, and the chick was some internet model he copied the pictures off the web
Was that the one that had some woman in a bikini either holding up the card(s) or standing next to them in the photos? THAT was hilarious.