`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What were they thinking (Free Agent Signings)

What were they thinking (Free Agent Signings)
Dodgers sign Zach Greinke to $148 million 6 yr contract with an opt out after 3 yrs. (making it a $148 million 3 yr contract to MLB )

I'm sorry but the Dodger fans got hosed on this deal, Greinke isn't worth anything even close to that, maybe a mill and a half but not $50 mill a yr, and he is more than likely going to be a huge bust in LA.

Tigers: Sign Anibal Sanchez to 5 yrs $80 Mill, sorry but he also is not worth that kind of Moola, Detroit is going to get Hosed on this one.

Pirates: sign Russ Martin to 2 yrs and $17 Million, anybody wanna bet he is gone before the season trade deadline for mediocre players?

They would have been better off using that money to get some quality pitching, Like Marcum, Lohse, Braden,Millwood, Saunders, etc.....The Pirates will never be contenders until they fix the Pitching rotation, and stop giving away top players and prospects for mediocre minor leaguers
the bucket
http://postimage.org/Shez

WANTED:
2006 FLAIR SHOWCASE SIGNATURES #/35

RE: What were they thinking (Free Agent Signings)
I think the pirates signed Martin knowing he cannot hit but rather for his catching ability. By no means is he a pudge but he's good at his position
[Image: Z2PfG.png]

COLLECTING ALL JOEY GALLO AND ADDISON RUSSELL !!!

Yeah, they are overspending because of a weak free agent class.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

I think this is what Hal Has seen recently in the FA market and has put a premium in the draft and international scouting. Groom these guys in the minors on lock them in a Longo type very team friendly contracts. Yankees are still a contender still interesting to see how things play out down in the minors to see what 2014 brings but future looks bright.

(01-11-2013, 08:18 AM)shezdoni Wrote: Dodgers sign Zach Greinke to $148 million 6 yr contract with an opt out after 3 yrs. (making it a $148 million 3 yr contract to MLB )

I'm sorry but the Dodger fans got hosed on this deal, Greinke isn't worth anything even close to that, maybe a mill and a half but not $50 mill a yr, and he is more than likely going to be a huge bust in LA.

Tigers: Sign Anibal Sanchez to 5 yrs $80 Mill, sorry but he also is not worth that kind of Moola, Detroit is going to get Hosed on this one.

Pirates: sign Russ Martin to 2 yrs and $17 Million, anybody wanna bet he is gone before the season trade deadline for mediocre players?

They would have been better off using that money to get some quality pitching, Like Marcum, Lohse, Braden,Millwood, Saunders, etc.....The Pirates will never be contenders until they fix the Pitching rotation, and stop giving away top players and prospects for mediocre minor leaguers
Whoa, whoa. I don't think the fact that he can opt out of his contract after 3 years makes it a 3 year $148m deal. (More like a 3 year $70m deal). Am I wrong?

Also, the thing that has changed drastically in the last year or 2 is that teams are negotiating NEW long-term television contracts. In the Dodgers case, their 25-year deal is estimated to be worth $6 BILLION. That money has to go somewhere, and it doesn't bother me if the players share in the good fortune (that they helped to create).

The flip side is that ticket prices continue to rise (in addition to other fan costs). Also, the gap between the big market and small market teams will grow exponentially. I guarantee within 10 years baseball will be forced to institute some form of a meaningful salary cap.

Teams like the Tigers are going to be in big trouble 3 years from now when they have 7 years left on their tv contract that pays them only $40m (only!) per season when teams like the Dodgers will be making 2-5X as much. How can the Tigers (for example) afford to keep their star free agents (like Verlander) if there are teams out there that will be able to afford $30m+ per season for 6 or 7 years.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(01-11-2013, 08:35 PM)uvaspina Wrote: Whoa, whoa. I don't think the fact that he can opt out of his contract after 3 years makes it a 3 year $148m deal. (More like a 3 year $70m deal). Am I wrong?

Also, the thing that has changed drastically in the last year or 2 is that teams are negotiating NEW long-term television contracts. In the Dodgers case, their 25-year deal is estimated to be worth $6 BILLION. That money has to go somewhere, and it doesn't bother me if the players share in the good fortune (that they helped to create).

The flip side is that ticket prices continue to rise (in addition to other fan costs). Also, the gap between the big market and small market teams will grow exponentially. I guarantee within 10 years baseball will be forced to institute some form of a meaningful salary cap.

Teams like the Tigers are going to be in big trouble 3 years from now when they have 7 years left on their tv contract that pays them only $40m (only!) per season when teams like the Dodgers will be making 2-5X as much. How can the Tigers (for example) afford to keep their star free agents (like Verlander) if there are teams out there that will be able to afford $30m+ per season for 6 or 7 years.

Nothing wrong with paying the players that bring the attention to the team. Reinvesting the money onto the field is the right thing. But damn when the Yankees were doing this it was bad for baseball now it is what is the norm. Crappy thing is the other teams that gain from the other that pay out the tax do next to nothin with that money except put it in pockets off people that don't lace em up. Don't see baseball going hard cap maybe just heavier taxes on offenders.

if he opts out, he only gets what he would have made for the 3 years he pitched for them.
[Image: m3OLcuF.png]
Sig by: jbel4331 / STL Cardinals & Rams Collector