`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Most disappointing product of 2012?

RE: Most disappointing product of 2012?
I liked some of the Elite subsets, like Inscriptions, but pretty much was disappointed in all the Panini products to date. Looked forward to Panini Black. A lot of chipping, much worse than Upper Deck Black had a few years ago. For the price. that was ridiculous.

Did not like Momentum at all...see chipping above. The dropped subsets of Elite Black was missed. The boring design of Certified including changes in FOTG, less chances of pulling the Emerald and Gold Freshman Fabric sets, sticker autos and the obsession with making every rookie insert series look like Limited Football is a pain in the butt.

I don't do a lot of Topps because most of the "shiny" products are variations of the same theme. I did enjoy Starta though.

(01-06-2013, 10:46 PM)melcmd Wrote: I liked some of the Elite subsets, like Inscriptions, but pretty much was disappointed in all the Panini products to date. Looked forward to Panini Black. A lot of chipping, much worse than Upper Deck Black had a few years ago. For the price. that was ridiculous.

Did not like Momentum at all...see chipping above. The dropped subsets of Elite Black was missed. The boring design of Certified including changes in FOTG, less chances of pulling the Emerald and Gold Freshman Fabric sets, sticker autos and the obsession with making every rookie insert series look like Limited Football is a pain in the butt.

I don't do a lot of Topps because most of the "shiny" products are variations of the same theme. I did enjoy Starta though.
Only good thing about certified are these
[Image: michaelFloydFreshmanFabricGold.jpg]

I did like some of the acetate sets in elite with the Inscriptions and Hardhats autos.
Momentum and prominence were blehhh. Absolute is shiny this year but overall the design is really lacking and theres way too much empty space at the bottom.Crown looks good with the Silhouettes but not all of them are on card and there are way too many redemptions in this product, it should have been pushed back.

Topps is making more and more just rookie products which I dont like. Put some dang HOF's and veterans in the sets! Strata and Inception would be so much better if they had these types of players in them too.

I was really let down with Finest. Wayyy to many high #'d autos and general lackluster cards. Does fleener really need 3 different auto cards #'d to 1400?
[Image: simmons_iliustration_g_mp_640.jpg&w=640&h=360]

(01-06-2013, 05:43 PM)msimonds Wrote: My biggest disappointment was there was no Threads released this year.
Threads was released as part of prominence. Lol only problem is nobody buys prominence so you don't see as many of the nameplates being completed.

most disappointing product, 2012:

the jets
tony romo
beckett's development team

Another disappointment factor is the release of the high-end products so late into the year that products like Exquisite, National Treasures and Five Star are put into the market with the same rookie premiere people until pratically the next season has started and a whole new set of rookies have been drafted. It's like buying Madden 2013 when we're still very clearly in 2012.

That being said, I have never bought an actual box of these products, but I do have many singles. I'm disappointed in the makers of cards that somehow think we're either all Upper-Middle class citizens with too much discretionary income, or little kids who are shocked and amazed with an autograph card that somebody signed 1550 times in one particular set.

Rant over.
[Image: Gdgj0.png]

PhotoBucket

Top 5 Auto Needs
1. Elijah Pitts
2. Oscar Robertson "Big O"
3. Giannis Antetokounmpo "GA34"
4. Aaron Rodgers "A12R"
5. Aaron Rodgers "A8R"

i actually liked this year's Rookies and Stars design.

One product really stands out for sheer awfulness this year: Rookies & Stars Longevity. The sheer contempt for buys reached its peak with this embarassment sold primarily at Target (although the two closest LCS to me also carry them). 2011 R&S Longevity had 4 numbered to 299 or less hits per box which included autographs, veteran game used, and rookie memorabila cards - there were also 3 numbered parallels per box. Some boxes were of course, total duds - but overall, it seemed like what you'd expect for a $5 a pack ($1 a card) product. This year, there were no numbered cards other than a few hits - autograph cards were despite the box claim "Look for Four Autographs or Memorabilia Cards per box" difficult to find), there were no veteran hits so that almost all of the "hits" were unnumbered rookie photo shoot stuff which they likely had thousands of each card. There was still a chance to get something decent, but it was very low. The memorabilia cards were also easy to tell due to their being oversized which encouraged theft (every box here at the local Targets was looted by theives). The amont of contempt to customers reached an apex with this product. i know its a low cost product where you get 4 hits for $50 - but at $1 per card, its not a real low cost product - but at least pretend that you are making an effort.

Oh and any pleasant surprise at seeing Crown Royale retail boxes disappeared once they were opened. Ugh - perhaps the most cynical move by a card company was the Crown Royale retail. Especially since most retail now at least gives people a junk memorabilia card which might be useless, but at least it seems like something. Crown Royale should have been left as hobby only.

(01-07-2013, 09:27 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: most disappointing product, 2012:

the jets
tony romo
beckett's development team
This made me laugh, thank you for this.
[Image: whodatbanner.jpg]