`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
bgs / bvg vs psa.....new collector

RE: bgs / bvg vs psa.....new collector
Well of course! Obviously the cross over is always going to be subject to a different opinion!

I meant the description- PSA 10 = Gem Mint. BGS 9.5 = Gem Mint. (BGS 10 = Pristine)

In any case, I have seen cards that get better grades when crossing over to BGS from PSA, and vice versa. They really are generally quite equal.

Beckett grades more conservatively. I have a BVG 3 1952 Topps Allie Reynolds, that looks like it could get a PSA 4.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

Every collector has a different opinion, but I personally don't prefer BGS unless it's for a modern card (prospects, etc)....but I don't like prospecting much either (an unproven player for the same price I can buy a Mantle), so therefore I don't like BGS all that much.

For vintage, I don't have a preference between PSA and SGC, but I always pass by a card in a BGS holder.
[Image: Screenshot2012-08-02at100731PM.png]

(01-04-2013, 02:05 PM)krykslr Wrote: Every collector has a different opinion, but I personally don't prefer BGS unless it's for a modern card (prospects, etc)....but I don't like prospecting much either (an unproven player for the same price I can buy a Mantle), so therefore I don't like BGS all that much.

For vintage, I don't have a preference between PSA and SGC, but I always pass by a card in a BGS holder.
Just curious as to why?

(01-04-2013, 02:03 PM)nyyankeesfan28 Wrote: Beckett grades more conservatively. I have a BVG 3 1952 Topps Allie Reynolds, that looks like it could get a PSA 4.
999 googolplex% Agree with you.

Btw, that's a real #.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(01-04-2013, 02:13 PM)thepozr Wrote: Just curious as to why?
I personally don't like the bulky cases...they feel like you're holding a brick. It seems like the "industry standard" (for vintage especially) seems to be PSA/SGC.

Not to say that BGS isn't credible, I just prefer the others.

(01-04-2013, 02:35 PM)krykslr Wrote: I personally don't like the bulky cases...they feel like you're holding a brick. It seems like the "industry standard" (for vintage especially) seems to be PSA/SGC.

Not to say that BGS isn't credible, I just prefer the others.
OK, fair enough. So you just prefer to have your cards slide around inside and get all bung up and no longer truly represent what's on the slab.

(01-04-2013, 02:42 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: OK, fair enough. So you just prefer to have your cards slide around inside and get all bung up and no longer truly represent what's on the slab.
I've never had an issue with a card moving around in my slabs. I've got all sizes, from T206 in a SGC holder, a 1948 Bowman Spahn RC in a PSA holder, a 1952 Bowman Mantle in a PSA holder, and a full-sized Chipper Jones RC in PSA....all 4 are different shapes and not one of them moves around.

I didn't ask for a snappy, sarcastic comment. I was stating my preference. You're welcome to grade with BGS, and that's fine by me, and if you don't like PSA/SGC, that's fine too.

(01-04-2013, 02:48 PM)krykslr Wrote: I've never had an issue with a card moving around in my slabs. I've got all sizes, from T206 in a SGC holder, a 1948 Bowman Spahn RC in a PSA holder, a 1952 Bowman Mantle in a PSA holder, and a full-sized Chipper Jones RC in PSA....all 4 are different shapes and not one of them moves around.

I didn't ask for a snappy, sarcastic comment. I was stating my preference. You're welcome to grade with BGS, and that's fine by me, and if you don't like PSA/SGC, that's fine too.
I didn't intend my comment to be snappy, sarcastic or offending.

Sorry for that.

Slab-wise, I actually really like the SGC ones. They just look nice. As far as protection, I agree with Krykslr: they are all good and I have never had any of mine damaged from moving around.

There was a post a little while back, I think it may have been on the football boards of someone that posted the results of their crossover. If I recall correctly, 2 got lower grades from BGS than PSA, 1 got a higher grade from BGS, and 1 crossed over equal. So, like I said.... they're basically the same and you can't really go wrong with either. I have a batch out to BGS right now because I got in on the $6 per card special we did on the football boards. All else being equal between the 2, that excellent price was the deciding factor.

EDIT: Here is the link to the results of the PSA to BGS cross over. I was right, 2 of them lost a half grade, 1 gained a half grade, one stayed the same. So basically, they were almost exactly the same as a lot.

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-152...pid2179095