`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
opening a factory sealed set to have card graded

opening a factory sealed set to have card graded
Generally speaking, does it make sense to open a factory sealed set of baseball cards to have a certain card or cards graded? For example, I have multiple unopened sets of 1987 Topps and Donruss complete sets. Donruss sets are wrapped in cellophane. I could have the Barry Bonds & Mark McGwire rookie cards graded. Is this a good idea or should I let them wrapped?

RE: opening a factory sealed set to have card graded
(12-19-2012, 04:39 PM)drcpacma Wrote: Generally speaking, does it make sense to open a factory sealed set of baseball cards to have a certain card or cards graded? For example, I have multiple unopened sets of 1987 Topps and Donruss complete sets. Donruss sets are wrapped in cellophane. I could have the Barry Bonds & Mark McGwire rookie cards graded. Is this a good idea or should I let them wrapped?
Me personally, I'd leave them wrapped.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(12-19-2012, 05:24 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: Me personally, I'd leave them wrapped.
[Image: agree.jpg]

I think it would actually be cheaper for you to just buy those cards already graded.

Skybox Autographics Set Collector

I bought a 1989 upper deck set sealed factory for $40. The griffey actually had a damaged hologram
[Image: Z2PfG.png]

COLLECTING ALL JOEY GALLO AND ADDISON RUSSELL !!!

Bumping this... I have discovered multiple boxes of complete sets with key rookies in them and am considering getting them graded, but do not want to break up the sets.

I might just do as suggested and buy already graded copies of the cards.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

(04-17-2013, 11:53 PM)y2hood Wrote: Bumping this... I have discovered multiple boxes of complete sets with key rookies in them and am considering getting them graded, but do not want to break up the sets.

I might just do as suggested and buy already graded copies of the cards.
Why not just get your entire set graded? Now that the registry is working it's just a matter of time until Beckett starts having contests & you would be able to enter your complete graded set to compete against other graded sets & possibly win prizes. I plan on getting my entire set of 2012 Topps Football cards graded & eventually entering it in the contests & besides once you have your complete set graded if ALL the cards get high grades your set would be worth more money than the ungraded version.

(04-18-2013, 08:07 AM)cowboy1501 Wrote: besides once you have your complete set graded if ALL the cards get high grades your set would be worth more money than the ungraded version.
No offense, but I highly doubt that a boxed set would grade highly.

(04-18-2013, 08:18 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: No offense, but I highly doubt that a boxed set would grade highly.
that's why I said "IF" & given how cards are produced now - a - days there's a really good chance that every card will grade at least a 9 & besides the registry will tell him the overall GPA of his graded set & whichever cards don't grade a 9 he could sell on ebay to raise cash to buy a higher graded version of that card to help lessen the out of pocket cost.

(04-18-2013, 08:43 AM)cowboy1501 Wrote: that's why I said "IF" & given how cards are produced now - a - days there's a really good chance that every card will grade at least a 9 & besides the registry will tell him the overall GPA of his graded set & whichever cards don't grade a 9 he could sell on ebay to raise cash to buy a higher graded version of that card to help lessen the out of pocket cost.
Oh. Okay, then. I thought that you meant older cards.