`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difference between prospect and rookie cards?

Difference between prospect and rookie cards?
I was curious what's the real difference value wise and why do they have two different meanings?
Currently collecting Ravel Santana Bowman Prospect Auto refractors!
Need: Red, Purple, Gold, Orange & Super.

If you see any items listed on eBay or for trade please let me know!!

RE: Difference between prospect and rookie cards?
Rookie card: First non-insert card of a player in the major leagues released in packs.
Prospect card: any card a player has before a rookie card
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

Many players have prospect cards over several years depending how big a name they are and how long they stay in the minors. As was said a true Rc is the first year a player appears in a MLB uniform in a MLBPA approved set.

That said you ask 100 people what the definition of a Rc card is and you'll likely get at least 98 different answers.

Bowman/Topps has done a good job in recent years by numbering prospects cards as BP , BCP, BP, or BPP depending on the set while true Rc cards will have regular numbering within the main set.

Some will also tell you that if it has the Rc Logo on the card it's a Rc which isn't 100% true as was the case with Topps Update this year and the Rc Debut cards of several players who already had true rookies in Ser. 1 or 2 but for some reason their update cards had the Rc logo on them as well even though they aren't true rookie cards.

The Rookie Debut cards in Update, despite the RC logo, fall under inserts, despite being in the base set, making them not a true RC. They have to be "base" to be an RC. As chevy man 22 stated, if BP, BCP, or BPP is in front of the card number it is a prospect card.

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.

thats a slight disappointment because i have a vast collection of "prospect" cards. guess they're basically worthless?

not true on the worthless part.... prospect cards hold their own in value especially if you get the player cards before they become the next guy to get. Tyler Austin seems to be about that level now. his autos are blowing up. Just glad i have a good amount of In Person auto's from his time here in tampa

(11-04-2012, 08:23 PM)jlandry287 Wrote: thats a slight disappointment because i have a vast collection of "prospect" cards. guess they're basically worthless?
Far from it. In some cases, player's first-year cards are more valuable than their RCs, depending on the player/card. Chances are, if you have a hot prospect card, it will be relatively valuable (especially if its serially-numbered).
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Prospects are worth at least as much as RCs if not more. Especially Chrome and the "First Bowman Chrome Card" logo have lots of value as long as the player is promising and increases if he makes it.

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.

WHEW... glad to hear, today i picked up a madison bumgarner prospect auto GRADED BGS 9.5 and 10 for the auto. im very happy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Bowman-Ster...true&rt=nc

That a $100 card at least, maybe $150. Congrats!

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.