`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upgrading a jordan...

upgrading a jordan...
do you think (now and in the future) its worth paying $2,500 to upgrade a 96 fleer jordan bgs 9.5 with grades 10 (center), 9.5 (corner), 9.5 (edge) and 9 (surface to the 10/9.5/9.5/9.5?

basically just upgrading the surface grade from 9 to 9.5

what do you guys think?

thanks

RE: upgrading a jordan...
(10-26-2012, 07:07 PM)Elee712 Wrote: do you think (now and in the future) its worth paying $2,500 to upgrade a 96 fleer jordan bgs 9.5 with grades 10 (center), 9.5 (corner), 9.5 (edge) and 9 (surface to the 10/9.5/9.5/9.5?

basically just upgrading the surface grade from 9 to 9.5

what do you guys think?

thanks
Did you mean 86 fleer?
Player collecting Dominic Smith
[Image: a2b9799d-d00b-4864-9937-c5ed26367c17.jpg]

If I understood correctly, you currently have a Michael Jordan 1986 Fleer Rookie Card graded BGS 9.5 with the following sub-grades: 10/9.5/9.5/9.0/, and you want to pay an additional $2,500 to upgrade the MJ Rookie Card w/ the following sub-grades: 10/9.5/9.5/9.5/... right?

Ok, when you say "upgrade", what are you referring to? Sell your card and pay an additional $2,500 to purchase one with the specified sub-grades? if so, what guarantees you that you are going to find an MJ with those specific sub-grades, specially the 10 centering (which is the hardest to obtain).

At any rate, it all depends on how much you paid for your current MJ RC and if you are OCD like me, lol!. Currently, MJ RCs with all 9.5 sub-grades (True GEM MT) are selling for around $5.8k (look at eBay item #: 400315551341). If you already paid a significant amount for your Rookie Card and by adding another $2,500.00 takes you over the $5.8K, then I would say, NO it is not worth it; however, as we all know, MJ cards (specially the RC) has no where to go but UP... But, how much higher? That is yet to be seen.

sorry, yea 1986 fleer.
Some guy has the 10/9.5/9.5/9.5 and would be willing to trade for my card which is a 10/9.5/9.5/9 along with 2500 in cash.(10 reoesenting the centering)

I don't quite remember how much I paid for my jordan...i'm just wondering if the money is worth upgrading from my card to his.

I am a bit ocd which is wh I am even considering this Smile

thanks

(10-27-2012, 07:53 AM)JMF_PR83 Wrote: If I understood correctly, you currently have a Michael Jordan 1986 Fleer Rookie Card graded BGS 9.5 with the following sub-grades: 10/9.5/9.5/9.0/, and you want to pay an additional $2,500 to upgrade the MJ Rookie Card w/ the following sub-grades: 10/9.5/9.5/9.5/... right?

Ok, when you say "upgrade", what are you referring to? Sell your card and pay an additional $2,500 to purchase one with the specified sub-grades? if so, what guarantees you that you are going to find an MJ with those specific sub-grades, specially the 10 centering (which is the hardest to obtain).

At any rate, it all depends on how much you paid for your current MJ RC and if you are OCD like me, lol!. Currently, MJ RCs with all 9.5 sub-grades (True GEM MT) are selling for around $5.8k (look at eBay item #: 400315551341). If you already paid a significant amount for your Rookie Card and by adding another $2,500.00 takes you over the $5.8K, then I would say, NO it is not worth it; however, as we all know, MJ cards (specially the RC) has no where to go but UP... But, how much higher? That is yet to be seen.

(10-27-2012, 11:13 AM)Elee712 Wrote: sorry, yea 1986 fleer.
Some guy has the 10/9.5/9.5/9.5 and would be willing to trade for my card which is a 10/9.5/9.5/9 along with 2500 in cash.(10 reoesenting the centering)

I don't quite remember how much I paid for my jordan...i'm just wondering if the money is worth upgrading from my card to his.

thanks
If you are OCD, like myself, then you would probably benefit from doing this... It will make you feel better, regardless of money.

(10-27-2012, 11:13 AM)Elee712 Wrote: sorry, yea 1986 fleer.

thanks
Or you can take a look at my Michael Jordan Bucket, take a look at the MJ RC BGS 9... it's .5 from being BGS 9.5, definitely worth regrading... Corners and/or surface should get the .5 upgrade.

I have ADHD, OCD, Anxiety and Depression no thanks to the Army...lol and I still wouldn't do it. Maybe if it was for the centering but not for a .5 upgrade on the surface. That guy is trying to rob you in my opinion. Think hard about it bro. That's a lot of money.

(10-27-2012, 02:51 PM)mickey7mantle7 Wrote: I have ADHD, OCD, Anxiety and Depression no thanks to the Army...lol and I still wouldn't do it. Maybe if it was for the centering but not for a .5 upgrade on the surface. That guy is trying to rob you in my opinion. Think hard about it bro. That's a lot of money.
Are you currently in the Army? I'm a service member as well... I suffer from PTSD and OCD... I have spent lots of money on cards only b/c i can't make-up my mind on what I really want... But, I finally settled for MJ's high end inserts. I am also learning how to settle for BGS GEM MT even if it has a 9 as sub-grade. it was killing me I spent hundreds of dollars trying to obtain the "true" GEM MT (W/ no 9's on the sub-grades).

I agree, however. $2,500 and an already BGS 9.5 for another BGS 9.5 just b/c it has .5 more... its just ridiculous!!!

I would say keep the card you have... The guy that offered you the trade + $2,500 cash for his card... is just going to turn around & sell it... making more money than what his card was worth... just my opinion..

I do not think it is that big of a deal having a .5 off one grading point... Especially if it is for your PC... Buyers are getting harder to find, especially ones that have big money to spend...

To me, a 9.5 overall grade is still a 9.5...... Not much to worry about, when it comes to one individual subgrade.... When you look at subgrades, you are getting into the nit & gritty of condition..

In the end, you're paying $2,500 to upgrade one subgrade.... to me, it's not worth the money spent.. unless you make over a million a year...
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

If you're really picky, do it. It will make you feel much better knowing you have a solid BGS 9.5 but if you REALLY want to upgrade the card, I would sell your BGS 9.5 copy and try to obtain a PSA 10 copy as those are more coveted and sought after than BGS 9.5 RC's. Those have more potential to hold value than BGS 9.5 copies. At least that's what the market has shown for several years.