Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Am I being foolish?

Am I being foolish?
Hey guys

As you know I'm collecting Joey Gallo. Part of the reason is that he seems like a promising star and the other half is because I won't his autograph perfect game card off bowman Facebook

Since getting back into collecting I really want to collect a rainbow.

I have begun getting his Leaf Metal Draft cards. But sometimes I wonder if it is worth it because they aren't licensed. If I end up selling them will that make a huge difference?

I want to try to get his bowman draft but I feel it may cost me too much

Thank you for your opinions
[Image: Z2PfG.png]

COLLECTING ALL JOEY GALLO AND ADDISON RUSSELL !!!

RE: Am I being foolish?
Once his Bowman Draft stuff comes out the prices on the Leaf cards will drop, but they will still have value to them.
[Image: 2013%20Ginter%20Signature_zpsraq8vd9t.jpg]

I tend to stay away from the Leaf stuff but if its for your pc go for it. You should be able to nab his Bowman Draft Chrome auto for under 50.00 just don't jump on the first ones that pop up and make sure you get a clean auto. I collect Castellanos and his first Chrome autos were going for over 50 now if you shop smart you could pick one up as low as 25 but those autos are a real hit and miss on how clean they are. I also really like to collect at least one prospect just to bring in a little excitement into the pc. Just be prepared for a possible sinking ship.

Ask yourself,...are you a fan of his because you won the card on facebook or do you like the guy as a prospect? I am not a fan of the leaf cards because as others have mentioned, once he has an auto in Bowman chrome, people will want that card instead because it will be in his Rangers uniform.

Gallo is a big prospect and once his chrome stuff comes out, you will have a lot of competition if you try to collect the rainbow.

Prospects are also hit and miss. I bought a bunch of Billy Rowell when 06 Bowman chrome came out. He was a big prospect at the same time with similar tools as Gallo and he didn't turn out too well.

(10-26-2012, 02:35 PM)david campos Wrote: Ask yourself,...are you a fan of his because you won the card on facebook or do you like the guy as a prospect? I am not a fan of the leaf cards because as others have mentioned, once he has an auto in Bowman chrome, people will want that card instead because it will be in his Rangers uniform.

Gallo is a big prospect and once his chrome stuff comes out, you will have a lot of competition if you try to collect the rainbow.

Prospects are also hit and miss. I bought a bunch of Billy Rowell when 06 Bowman chrome came out. He was a big prospect at the same time with similar tools as Gallo and he didn't turn out too well.
Exactly.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

thanks for the advice guys

see my problem with liking a particular player is unlike everyone else I cannot collect a certain player from my favorite team (yankees) because I get so mad when they don't play well and they change teams so much but I do enjoy yankees memorabilia cards but not of one particular player... (last one was Orlando Hernandez... womp

If you really like the player, collect his cards. Even if he goes to another team and you don't want the cards anymore, someone else will want them. If you ONLY want to collect him b/c he is a NYY prospect, gather what you can for a reasonable amount with the knowledge that he might not be a Yankee in the future. Just remember that prospects can be a BUST in the MLB and spend their career in the Minor Leagues just as easily as they can be a star.
Leaf (and anything else that isn't Topps brand) isn't commanding too much in value now, but may in the future. In the mid 2000's, Leaf/Donruss cards were not too popular b/c they weren't MLB licensed (only MLBPA licensed). Now there are many collector's looking to get those cards to fill out their player collections.
You should only collect the players you like b/c of their skills. Potential is one thing to consider, but you also have to consider the position they are trying to play. If you want to collect a SS b/c he may soon replace Jeter, go for it. Just don't go crazy with your bids b/c he might not even make it to the Yankees MLB team! Be especially careful with Pitchers in the Yankee system. Pitchers tend to change teams frequently in their first few years after being drafted. Not b/c they want to, but pitchers get traded very often early in their careers.

P.S. - I am sorry for the spat I created awhile ago. I was pretty drunk that night/morning. I didn't reply to that b/c I was embarrassed by what I typed once I saw it through sober eyes. I did delete my posts and I hope you hold no ill feelings toward me. I do hope that you will see that my advice here is based on my experience in the hobby.
For good measure, I don't collect prospects until they perform in the MLB. I saw Yadier Molina play in Appy League (RC Level) in 2001 and was very impressed. I didn't start really collecting his cards until 2004 or 2005. They may cost me a bit more now, but look at his performance since then. He has 2 WS rings as a winner and has been a perennial favorite to start the All-Star game for many years now.
BTW, I also saw CC Sabathia play as a starting pitcher in the Appalachian League. He was a starting pitcher for my hometown team. If you know his history, you will know what team I am talking about. Many years before CC, I saw Jim Thome and Manny Ramirez play for that same team. I have seen many others playing in the Appy League for various teams, but those are probably the most well-known players.

(10-27-2012, 02:11 AM)spazmatastic Wrote: If you really like the player, collect his cards. Even if he goes to another team and you don't want the cards anymore, someone else will want them. If you ONLY want to collect him b/c he is a NYY prospect, gather what you can for a reasonable amount with the knowledge that he might not be a Yankee in the future. Just remember that prospects can be a BUST in the MLB and spend their career in the Minor Leagues just as easily as they can be a star.
Leaf (and anything else that isn't Topps brand) isn't commanding too much in value now, but may in the future. In the mid 2000's, Leaf/Donruss cards were not too popular b/c they weren't MLB licensed (only MLBPA licensed). Now there are many collector's looking to get those cards to fill out their player collections.
You should only collect the players you like b/c of their skills. Potential is one thing to consider, but you also have to consider the position they are trying to play. If you want to collect a SS b/c he may soon replace Jeter, go for it. Just don't go crazy with your bids b/c he might not even make it to the Yankees MLB team! Be especially careful with Pitchers in the Yankee system. Pitchers tend to change teams frequently in their first few years after being drafted. Not b/c they want to, but pitchers get traded very often early in their careers.

P.S. - I am sorry for the spat I created awhile ago. I was pretty drunk that night/morning. I didn't reply to that b/c I was embarrassed by what I typed once I saw it through sober eyes. I did delete my posts and I hope you hold no ill feelings toward me. I do hope that you will see that my advice here is based on my experience in the hobby.
For good measure, I don't collect prospects until they perform in the MLB. I saw Yadier Molina play in Appy League (RC Level) in 2001 and was very impressed. I didn't start really collecting his cards until 2004 or 2005. They may cost me a bit more now, but look at his performance since then. He has 2 WS rings as a winner and has been a perennial favorite to start the All-Star game for many years now.
BTW, I also saw CC Sabathia play as a starting pitcher in the Appalachian League. He was a starting pitcher for my hometown team. If you know his history, you will know what team I am talking about. Many years before CC, I saw Jim Thome and Manny Ramirez play for that same team. I have seen many others playing in the Appy League for various teams, but those are probably the most well-known players.
well that explains it all and no hard feelings what so ever... thank you for your advice as well. I am not that aware of the Appalachian league but I started liking CC on the Indians because he was so dominant and seemed like a great guy. When he came to the yankees, I saw some documentaries on him about his hometown in California and how much of a family person he is. I give a lot of respect to him. Still searching for my first CC auto though

With everyone's advice, I think I'm going to hold off on more of the leaf cards and focus on Bowman Draft... I love opening the packs

It's hard getting back into collecting and trying to figure out what to exactly collect when you enjoy opening packs so much haha. I would love to have an auto of Hall of Fame guys or star players (on balls or bats) but thats where money becomes a huge factor

oh well at least I have fun.

Where you live. Sometimes it's where you live that can make a big factore on how you may be able to obtain some items?

Draft is worth more than Leaf, but that also means obtaining the rainbow will be more expensive. Prospects are like stocks. Only sometimes riskier. Just ask yourself how much do I want to have spent on him if he doesn't pan out.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!