`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buying boxes - HELP!

buying boxes - HELP!
bought a few boxes of cards 19.99 at target. 2012 topps chrome, ud football, topps heritage. nothing special. is it harder to pull inserts from these retail boxes? can you buy hobby boxes at retail? been years since I bought cards...

RE: buying boxes - HELP!
One of my local department stores sells sealed hobby boxes right next to their retail packs and blasters. Not much of a selection but, since there are no card shops in town, better than nothing.
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

Not usually, but sometimes there will be a hobby box from a few years back on sale and Rookies and Stars Longevity Football is practically Hobby and they sell that at retail. If you want hobby, buy online from places like Dave and Adam's Card World, Blowout Cards, Pittsburgh Sports, or Charm City Cards.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

I don't know the exact odds for pulling various cards, but they list them on the back of the boxes/packs. Traditionally, I believe, the odds of pulling a high-end (low numbered, auto, GU etc) were not as good in retail packs/boxes. Nowadays, I don't think the difference is as great (between retail and hobby). Of course, if you buy a hobby box, you're "guaranteed" to get the number of autos/GU/hits listed. I've seen a lot of guys pull some really nice stuff from retail. I think the consensus is, if you're going to spend a couple hundred bucks on boxes/packs, try buying jumbo or hobby boxes (rather than retail). Slightly cheaper per pack cost.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(10-21-2012, 02:32 PM)uvaspina Wrote: I don't know the exact odds for pulling various cards, but they list them on the back of the boxes/packs. Traditionally, I believe, the odds of pulling a high-end (low numbered, auto, GU etc) were not as good in retail packs/boxes. Nowadays, I don't think the difference is as great (between retail and hobby). Of course, if you buy a hobby box, you're "guaranteed" to get the number of autos/GU/hits listed. I've seen a lot of guys pull some really nice stuff from retail. I think the consensus is, if you're going to spend a couple hundred bucks on boxes/packs, try buying jumbo or hobby boxes (rather than retail). Slightly cheaper per pack cost.
You are correct.

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.

(10-21-2012, 10:00 AM)montanadan Wrote: bought a few boxes of cards 19.99 at target. 2012 topps chrome, ud football, topps heritage. nothing special. is it harder to pull inserts from these retail boxes? can you buy hobby boxes at retail? been years since I bought cards...
Also, be on the lookout for blasters (those $19.99 boxes you bought) that are on sale for 40%-50% off. You'll often see deals like that at Walmart (usually on the previous year's product). A price like that tempts me every time.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(10-21-2012, 03:19 PM)uvaspina Wrote: Also, be on the lookout for blasters (those $19.99 boxes you bought) that are on sale for 40%-50% off. You'll often see deals like that at Walmart (usually on the previous year's product). A price like that tempts me every time.
Yeah, those are great.

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.

As far as I know and have seen with some products.
Odds are stacked against you immensely with high end pulls in retail.
However that doesnt mean that it doesnt happen.
I have gotten two of my best Hockey pulls out of retail.
I enjoy it when i Cannot get to the card store. Or dont wanna spend $100+
Besides I enjoy opening packs and then when you do get something unbelievable its a little more satisfying knowing it was in a $20-30 box than a $100-170 box. even if it does take 6 boxes to get that massive hit. =)
www.northerncards.net
Bowman Set Collector
Blue Jays Guy
Supercollecting Jorge Saez and Jose Berrios

I once pulled a 1/1 plate out of blaster. These hits are rare.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!