Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie Needs Tradebait Advice

Newbie Needs Tradebait Advice
Hi All,

Finally getting up the gumption to introduce myself on this forum and post my "dumb question". . .LOL.

My name is David Massie and I live on MD's Eastern Shore. From 1999 - about 2005, I collected football, baseball, and racing with my son. After he left the nest, I left the hobby for awhile and and have just gotten back into it over the past month or so.

So far, I've just been buying football and trying to finish some old and new sets in that. However, I'm also ready now to get back into baseball - and do so in a much heavier way than ever before. My problem since being away from the hobby (and pretty much the game itself) for so many years is that I'm not sure what I should buy to use as "trade bait". From what I've observed since returning, it looks like by far most collectors want the game used, the autos, and / or #'d cards. The question is: What players should I acquire those types of cards of that would stimulate the most interest of other collectors? I see that B. Harper is the hot rookie right now, and there seems to be a good # of folks looking for Verlander's stuff. Who else's stuff do you suggest I try to get as bait for future trades?

Personally, I'm most interested in building sets, but will also be collecting Frank Thomas and Jeter's pricier stuff in addition to sets.

All input will be much appreciated - sorry for the long post.

Dave
Always trading for set needs -and for Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Clayton Kershaw, Manny Machado, Buster Posey, and Frank Thomas.

RE: Newbie Needs Tradebait Advice
Someone asked a similar question a week or so ago. I have pasted my response to them below. Hope this helps!!

First off welcome! It can be very fun... Questions answered below.

Any tips/suggestions for a rookie like me?
My advice is to pay the $20/year for org at a minimum, but it is more wise to pay for the pricing since everyone around here trades at book value (BV).

How do I know which cards I should send to beckett to have graded?
rule of thumb is if you can see damage with the bare eye, dont send them in. The exceptions are if they are older (pre-1970) or a hall of famers...then u can be a little more flexible. any base card from 1980-2005 should not be sent in unless it is a rookie because they were all overproduced and the value has gone to shat.

What are some of the best ways to come across valuable cards, without paying high-dollar premiums?
ebay or craigslist. You can also buy from people here. If you dont want to buy, the best way is to trade.

What are some cards that will be on the up and coming in the future that I should look into?
the hot "up and comers" now are darvish, harper, trout, machado, strasburg. Prospects are a roll of the dice but can pay off down the line. Cards with memorabilia built in or autograghs move the best around here. If you get any jeters from 92-96, only trade them to point401, he's the best!!

Again welcome and happy trading!
Collecting Derek Jeter - primarily 1996 and earlier but will consider anything

I sent you a PM.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

Hey let me know if you need any racing stuff. I know this is the baseball board but I collect both. lol. Welcome to the boards.
Kevin

(10-17-2012, 08:32 PM)minitracer Wrote: Hey let me know if you need any racing stuff. I know this is the baseball board but I collect both. lol. Welcome to the boards.
Kevin
Thanks, Kevin! I've jotted your user ID down amongst my "trading notes", and will PM you first whenever I'm looking to trade racing.

(10-17-2012, 08:27 PM)dbroockerd Wrote: I sent you a PM.
Thanks for the reply. Just sent you a PM back.

(10-17-2012, 08:15 PM)Point401 Wrote: Someone asked a similar question a week or so ago. I have pasted my response to them below. Hope this helps!!

First off welcome! It can be very fun... Questions answered below.

Any tips/suggestions for a rookie like me?
My advice is to pay the $20/year for org at a minimum, but it is more wise to pay for the pricing since everyone around here trades at book value (BV).

How do I know which cards I should send to beckett to have graded?
rule of thumb is if you can see damage with the bare eye, dont send them in. The exceptions are if they are older (pre-1970) or a hall of famers...then u can be a little more flexible. any base card from 1980-2005 should not be sent in unless it is a rookie because they were all overproduced and the value has gone to shat.

What are some of the best ways to come across valuable cards, without paying high-dollar premiums?
ebay or craigslist. You can also buy from people here. If you dont want to buy, the best way is to trade.

What are some cards that will be on the up and coming in the future that I should look into?
the hot "up and comers" now are darvish, harper, trout, machado, strasburg. Prospects are a roll of the dice but can pay off down the line. Cards with memorabilia built in or autograghs move the best around here. If you get any jeters from 92-96, only trade them to point401, he's the best!!

Again welcome and happy trading!
Thanks for the welcome all the helpful info, fellow Jeter collector! I've jotted down the key points of info to refer back to. Always good to get help from someone who's been here awhile!
Always trading for set needs -and for Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Clayton Kershaw, Manny Machado, Buster Posey, and Frank Thomas.