`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
chop it up or leave intact? your opinions please!

chop it up or leave intact? your opinions please!
Hey all, I need your thoughts and opinions on this.
I have got the below signed warm-up jersey. It is a jersey that I got from the team shop, so it isn't worn by any of the players that signed.

[Image: img9361wy.jpg]

Now the jersey is just hanging inside my closet as it is not something I'll ever be putting up on the wall or anything, nor will I be wearing it.

The question therefore is: should I leave it as it is, hanging about in my closet OR should I chop it up and use the pieces with autos to make custom 'patch auto' cards?

Given the size of the autos it would be blow up cards, probably 10x15cm (4'x6'). I think they would come out pretty awesome, but then again I'm a bit hesitant towards chopping up the jersey.

Thanks for dropping your comments.

For the record: the autos are of then-Valencia players Nando de Colo (current Spurs), Nik Caner-Medley (current Tel Aviv), Brad Newley, AJ Ogilvy, Florent Pietrus and Stefan Markovic.

RE: chop it up or leave intact? your opinions please!
i would leave it intact and donate it to a childrens hospital if you do not want to keep it.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

(10-15-2012, 08:27 AM)pingbling23 Wrote: i would leave it intact and donate it to a childrens hospital if you do not want to keep it.
Thanks. I do want to keep it - just not sure whether in its integral form or in customized cards.

I'd definitely consider the donating (as I did with the Rik Smits customized card earlier this year) but unfortunately there's hardly any market here for basketball trading cards / autographs, so any profit for a charity would be next to nothing.

Also, this collective of players doesn't have any resonance with the US(where some profit might be expected) so that's not an option either..

Two things...

If it sits in ur closet serving no purpose

and...

If customizing cards is ur thing/passion, then I would make some cards out if it, or like ping said, donating is cool too.

I would not chop it up!!

I would at least frame it... & keep the box that the frame comes in, so you can store it, without frame getting scratched....

you never know, if you ever decide to sell it... it would look awesome in some restaurant or sports bar...

Where did you get the jersey & autos? city/town?

I think getting autos in person are way better than buying them online or pulling them from a pack.. there is a story behind the auto & what ever object was signed... I used to go to the Thunderdome at UCSB (University California Santa Barbara) every year when I was a teen... to watch the Lakers play themselves during a Charity game or when some of the Rookies would come play...

I was able to play pick up games on the blackstreet courts with a few of the players, including JR RIder.. he's the most memorable, because a friend went up to him & asked "who do you think you are, Shaquille O'neal?" .... this was the same year Shaq & Rider were RC's...
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

(10-15-2012, 08:46 AM)mickey7mantle7 Wrote: If customizing cards is ur thing/passion, then I would make some cards out if it
It has been lately and as a matter of fact I already have a draft design in my head..

(10-15-2012, 04:06 PM)jpleazme805 Wrote: Where did you get the jersey & autos? city/town?
They're all from after the local team's (Valencia Basket) games, who play ACB National League. It's great because after the games you just go to the player's entrance and you wait for them to come out. It's how I already got some former NBA players' autos - Juan Carlos Navarro, Rudy Fernandez, Ime Udoka, Yaroslav Korolev and upcoming NBA players like Nando de Colo (Spurs), Victor Claver (Blazers) and Henk Norel (Wolves).

For this season I've got over 20 NBA cards ready for signature including an Andres Nocioni Bulls card which I hope to get signed this Sunday.

Funny thing is that these autos wouldn't raise a dime on eBay or COMC, but the fact that you picked em up yourself adds a lot of (emotional) value to it.

(10-15-2012, 08:46 AM)mickey7mantle7 Wrote: Two things...

If it sits in ur closet serving no purpose

and...

If customizing cards is ur thing/passion, then I would make some cards out if it, or like ping said, donating is cool too.
Yeah that's what I'd go with. With no intention of displaying it as is, why not make something out of it you could show off?
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

leave intact: 2
chopchop: 2

anyone else to at least break the tie?

Also, in case you're thinking it's a shame to cut up a signed jersey you might be shocked learning this: the jersey was actually a gift from my colleagues in the company where I did my internship. They gave me this jersey and then arranged for a meet&greet with one of the players of the Valencia team and he signed the jersey. Back then I didn't follow the team and I didn't know the guy at all, so I basically wore the jersey a couple of times and then washed it as well, so the auto washed out with it.

The player was Fabricio Oberto and he now plays with the San Antonio Spurs, lol.

Chop it!! You've made some cool looking stuff in the past so it would turn out sweet!

I would love to see some patch cards so I say chop away Smile
Bucket: http://s1089.photobucket.com/user/CJ81daman/library/?sort=3&page=0
Basketball: Austin Rivers, Dennis Rodman, Marcus Smart, Clint Capela, Washington Wizards
Soccer: Switzerland, Bayern Munich, Southampton, DC United