`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E-bay Selling: How Long Until You Give Up On A Buyer?

E-bay Selling: How Long Until You Give Up On A Buyer?
I am pretty new to selling on E-bay and have only been doing it since last month. On September 2nd I sold a card that I had received as part of my Super VIP package at the 33rd Annual National Sports Collectors Convention. The same day I sent the buyer an invoice. The card went unpaid. The next week, I sent an e-mail to the buyer asking if he was still interested in purchasing the card. No word! I just sent another e-mail today.

How long should I wait before giving up on this buyer and re-listing the item? Thanks!

RE: E-bay Selling: How Long Until You Give Up On A Buyer?
Open a non buying complaint, the buyer will have 4 days to pay, if not you can relist it. The longest i waited was 3 weeks but i had waited almost that long to open a complaint.
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,
Other Auto's, GU cards will be considered

Most sellers put "Must pay in 3 days from auction close" in the description which I think is more than fair. If there is no contact from the buyer in almost a month from auction end, chances are he is not going to pay.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

I have everything automatic..
Ebay sends an invoice to the buyer from e-bay.
I have the open case set at 8 days (the earliest) and they send a notice to the buyer and me...then they have 7 days to pay or they get a strike against them (not even a slap on the wrist really) and I get my final fees back and a chance to relist.
I have all this set at the EARLIEST Ebay will allow , so I have to wait 2 week and 1 day for the buyer to pay before I can relist a card..

Over the last year, the # of times I have relisted and got my fees back has increased dramatically. There are a lot of deadbeat bidders out there..

(09-20-2012, 05:50 AM)fulltritty Wrote: I am pretty new to selling on E-bay and have only been doing it since last month. On September 2nd I sold a card that I had received as part of my Super VIP package at the 33rd Annual National Sports Collectors Convention. The same day I sent the buyer an invoice. The card went unpaid. The next week, I sent an e-mail to the buyer asking if he was still interested in purchasing the card. No word! I just sent another e-mail today.

How long should I wait before giving up on this buyer and re-listing the item? Thanks!
I put a low bid on an item once not thinking I could possibly win. Went out of town a couple of days and came back to an unpaid item case. Had no problem paying for the item, and i was happy with it. But use your discretion email the buyer if he does'nt respond open an unpaid item case. His account could be suspended. Atleast you tried. Give him/her a day to respond

Yeah I have the Unpaid Item Assistant on as well, and if payment isn't made in 4 days, it automatically opens a case and the buyer then has 4 more days to make payment before an Unpaid Item Strike goes against them. So the buyer technically has 8 days to make payment which is MORE than enough time.

(09-20-2012, 10:40 AM)motu79 Wrote: Yeah I have the Unpaid Item Assistant on as well, and if payment isn't made in 4 days, it automatically opens a case and the buyer then has 4 more days to make payment before an Unpaid Item Strike goes against them. So the buyer technically has 8 days to make payment which is MORE than enough time.
Off topic from original poster..but I can not get the unpaid assisitant to auto open under 8 days, not 4 days..
What am I missing??

Nevermind, I have to change another preference to get it to 4 days..
I should have read further..
Back to the topic though...
Open a case now and get the item relisted or paid for

I usually give 10 days. Most electronic payments can easily be made within 3 days. Pretty much everyone has an I-phone, I-pad, I-something and there's wireless at almost any store/restaurant now. So 3 days is plenty for E-payments.

If someone says they want to pay by money order, I will usually give 10 days since sometimes 2 weekends could fall in between items end and payment received.

Hope this helps.

(09-20-2012, 05:50 AM)fulltritty Wrote: I am pretty new to selling on E-bay and have only been doing it since last month. On September 2nd I sold a card that I had received as part of my Super VIP package at the 33rd Annual National Sports Collectors Convention. The same day I sent the buyer an invoice. The card went unpaid. The next week, I sent an e-mail to the buyer asking if he was still interested in purchasing the card. No word! I just sent another e-mail today.

About 1 in every 4 things I sell on ebay doesn 't get paid for. Its gotten pretty bad ever since ebay changed their feedback policy to where buyers could only leave positive. Also there is no more three strike policy. Ebay pretty much gave buyers a free say in if they have to pay or not. Best thing you can do is change your preferences to decline bids from any buyer who has 2 or more unpaid items in the last month. Personally I wish I could block any buyer who a new account, because all the non payers do is create another account every month. With all of that being said, I no longer have patience for waiting for people to pay. If they contact me ahead of time about a delay or they are paying with a money order.

I have no problem waiting, otherwise its 4 days then I file unpaid item case, close 4 days afterwards. Out of the last 6 things I sold last week, two people actually wrote me saying they don't want to pay and would rather just take the strike, two have paid, and two more still haven't paid. Seems to me the most common offenders are the buyers who only buy, and will have like 60 positives in one month with no feedback prior to the month.

Those buyers seem to cherry pick which deals they want to pay for. Ebay used to have a three strike policy I believe but thats obviously no longer the case. I think its a percentage thing now before you get booted. I only wish they at least give buyers the option to leave negative if a buyer doesn't pay after an unpaid item case is closed. That would hopefully scare away non payers.
If you have less than 20 feedback you're sending first.

Yeah 5-7 days and they get a No pay claim opened.

Matter of fact I'm about to have to open one today. Sold some diecast cars in an auction that ended on Saturday and haven't heard a word from the guy. I've sent 2 invoices one on the day the auction ended and one on Tuesday. In the second one I stated that I needed payment withing 24 hours or for them to contact me with an idea of when payment would be made. Haven't heard a peep.

I had to do this a couple weeks ago with a autographed card I sold and within half an hour of opening the claim the person paid. Sometimes that just need to know you are serious.