`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

RE: Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor
(07-26-2012, 08:12 AM)willtrips1 Wrote: Hi Chris - do you guy have a way to verify if a card is authentic - I bought off eBay a 2003 Bowman Draft Robison Cano "BuyBack" Auto card, supposedly seeded as a box-topper in the 2007 Bowman's Best series (photos attached). There is a Holograph sticker on the back, but I've been told by an avid Cano collector that the card is likely a fake and that the sticker could be from another card. The concern he shared is that the auto on my card is not the same as the one's on the cards he has in his collection (he owns a bunch, including /6, /15, /72, /79, /101, /222 and shared photos of those cards with me). in addition, the hand numbering on my card is in a different ink and color from the autograph. What do you recommend I do? Can you help me? Thanks! Bill
That product is problematic for fakes because the slabs are not tamper-proof and the 3M stickers can just be taken off of commons and put onto a card that has been signed by someone else. You would have to submit it to JSA though BGS.

Maybe you can help, I have 7 Ceraminc Mickey Mantle Card that I bought as a series from The Franklin Mint, or one of those collectable places in 1996 or 1997. I have the 7 of them and they match the ones listed in Beckett, but some don't. They Are from a series that was supposed to reprint all of Mantle's Topps cards. I did sell one that was a 62 "Mantle sends one into Orbit"... why are the ones listed different from the ones I have? Am enclosing scans
[Image: 002-3.jpg]
[Image: 001-8.jpg]
"Don't Take anything for granted because tomorrow isn't promised to any of us"

Kirby Puckett July 17th 1996 @ Retirement Press Conference

Newbie here so sorry if I am posting in the wrong forum- my problem is that I have a Pinnacle certified #42 Javier Lopez and I am trying to add it to my collection but I do not see this card listed on the online guide--how does one go about adding it? Thanks

(08-12-2012, 03:58 PM)unsettlednomad Wrote: Newbie here so sorry if I am posting in the wrong forum- my problem is that I have a Pinnacle certified #42 Javier Lopez and I am trying to add it to my collection but I do not see this card listed on the online guide--how does one go about adding it? Thanks
when you search, less is sometimes more. since javier is mostly known as javy, i just searched using the last name

so this search: "Pinnacle certified #42 Lopez"

http://www.beckett.com/search/#term=Pinn...42%20Lopez

first one seems to be your huckleberry

ah there we go- ty kindly

My questions are concerning Sp Authentic By The Letter Cards. Are the letters taken from the team name (for example: 'Los Angeles' and/or 'Dodgers') or the player's name or both? Are they (some of the time or always) serial numbered as a set, or per individual letter variation? I've noticed just by looking at pics online, some cards have letters that aren't in the player's name, and others have letters which aren't in the team name, though it may vary by set?

And for a card like: 2008 SP Authentic USA National Team By the Letter Autographs #SS Stephen Strasburg/105:

I have only seen the 'U' and 'A' variety.-and 'S' versions of other players in the set.
(MANY EXAMPLES OF THOSE TWO; though i'm SURE the 'S' exists-this also seems to confirm that the letter variations are ONLY 'U' 'S' 'A' meaning the entire print run would either be /105, as stated, OR /315)
How are they serial #ed/sorted; could the 'S' variation be an SP within the /105, at least for the Strasburg ?? 105/3 (USA) = a fraction, so is it reasonable to speculate that the varying letters could have had print runs of say, 60, 30, 15?

I mention this card in particular because I see it as the most attractive and undervalued (even at $300) pre-rc Strasburg on the market. anyhow, Thanks for your time and expertise!

Hey Chris,

My question is why the Ginter Trader Conference cards are not in the organizer? Thanks and have a good one. Corey

i was going through my cards today.i have 2 versions of 2002 topps
mark loretta number 446.the beckett almanac says that this is an uncorrected error.is there a place to ask about cards not in the almanac.

Hey Chris thought I would give you guys a headsup on the 2012 goodwin, in the organizer there is no Var. print of Al Kaline but I just pulled one out of a blaster. Just giving a headsup. Corey

(08-17-2012, 10:27 PM)alfieailes Wrote: i was going through my cards today.i have 2 versions of 2002 topps
mark loretta number 446.the beckett almanac says that this is an uncorrected error.is there a place to ask about cards not in the almanac.
Send a scan and info to bfleischer@beckett.com.
(08-21-2012, 09:27 PM)once78 Wrote: Hey Chris thought I would give you guys a headsup on the 2012 goodwin, in the organizer there is no Var. print of Al Kaline but I just pulled one out of a blaster. Just giving a headsup. Corey
(08-16-2012, 12:14 PM)once78 Wrote: Hey Chris,

My question is why the Ginter Trader Conference cards are not in the organizer? Thanks and have a good one. Corey
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)