`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you rather have?

What would you rather have?
I love watching high value MJ autions on Ebay on dreaming that I could some day spend that kind of money. I am watching two auctions right now that got me thinking, which would I rather have? I am watching one auction for a BGS 9.5 Jordan RC and a PSA 10 Jordan RC. The PSA RC is going for more than the BGS RC (BGS going for 4450 with 4 days left, PSA 8000 with 8 days left). I have heard that a PSA 10 is basically a BGS 9.5. Do you agree with this? My question is which would you rather have?

[Image: Nick.jpg]

RE: What would you rather have?
BGS ALL THE WAY....I like the look of the grading better as well as the reputation..
[Image: jonathancard.png]

(08-15-2012, 01:53 PM)jonathancard Wrote: BGS ALL THE WAY....I like the look of the grading better as well as the reputation..
+1 ... the sub grades give a more accurate description — like, for example, I'm a lot more willing to buy a card if the corners are sharp, and willing to look past a little off-centering, because the corners could have been dinged by a moron mishandling the card after pulling it, but the centering is just a factory defect ...

i would rather have the bgs. this is where i have issues with grading. someone on another forum bought a bgs 9.5 jordan rc, they send it to psa, and psa grades in a 10. so just from changing the slabs, it goes from a 4K-6K card to a 7K-8K card.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

(08-15-2012, 03:42 PM)pingbling23 Wrote: i would rather have the bgs. this is where i have issues with grading. someone on another forum bought a bgs 9.5 jordan rc, they send it to psa, and psa grades in a 10. so just from changing the slabs, it goes from a 4K-6K card to a 7K-8K card.
Is that what it actually sold for, though? Seems like most people realize that PSA is a little more lenient on the grading and the final sales wouldn't be that different ...

(08-15-2012, 02:00 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: +1 ... the sub grades give a more accurate description — like, for example, I'm a lot more willing to buy a card if the corners are sharp, and willing to look past a little off-centering, because the corners could have been dinged by a moron mishandling the card after pulling it, but the centering is just a factory defect ...
I agree with both of you. I would also take the BGS. I also can overlook centering. Personally that is not something that we as collectors can control. A lot of these cards were simply printed that way. For the most part, the other 3 subgrades can be dictated by humans, but not always.

Why doesnt PSA do subgrades? Also, I have noticed that with some PSA cards the card will be say PSA 9 but have the (OC) below the grade. Wouldnt that lower the grade even more if it were BGS?
(08-15-2012, 03:42 PM)pingbling23 Wrote: i would rather have the bgs. this is where i have issues with grading. someone on another forum bought a bgs 9.5 jordan rc, they send it to psa, and psa grades in a 10. so just from changing the slabs, it goes from a 4K-6K card to a 7K-8K card.
Wow that is insane! And yes RJCJ I believe that to be true as well. That is what sparked this thread. A seller has the BGS 9.5 and PSA 10...the BGS is going for 4500 with 4 days left and the PSA 10 is going for 8000 with 8 days left. Crazy! I guess people see the 10 on the card and go insane haha!

[Image: Nick.jpg]

I would rather take the BGS 9.5

Yes, I would look at the subgrades too... I am more on perfect pointed corders, edging, & color (not faded).. than centering... centering can be overlooked on old school cards... but on new cards, in my opinion after 1999, cards should not have problems with off centering...

I know it's off topic.. but I hate sticker autos, were the auto goes off the sticker or is hidden behind the card (i.e. Elite Black Box)... the sticker is placed behind the card, to hide the sticker... but it makes lots of the cards look tacky.. it's not the athletes fault for placement of the stickers..
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

(08-15-2012, 04:49 PM)nickm1123 Wrote: Wow that is insane! And yes RJCJ I believe that to be true as well. That is what sparked this thread. A seller has the BGS 9.5 and PSA 10...the BGS is going for 4500 with 4 days left and the PSA 10 is going for 8000 with 8 days left. Crazy! I guess people see the 10 on the card and go insane haha!
Ah, yes, should have read it more closely LOL ... yeah, that's crazy.

I'd rather have the BGS 9.5 especially if it has high sub grades! Too many questions on PSA's in my opinion. I really don't buy that PSA 10's are legitimately selling for 8-10K while BGS 9.5's barely hit 5-6K even with strong subs! Either way though an MJ rookie is THE card to have in top condition!

id rather the bgs, but there are people out there who only collect psa and or 10's. all it takes is two ,people who do to start a bidding war i guess. it does seem crazy especially since not one person here has said psa. i guess the rich collectors dont care to come on this forum with us...who are these people?
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]