`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My "I Have No Self-Control So I Bought 3 More Older Boxes" Thread!

My "I Have No Self-Control So I Bought 3 More Older Boxes" Thread!
As the title says, I was minding my business, twiddling my cane about in a most merry manner (*DISCLAIMER* I don't actually have a cane), as I entered the door to Wayne's Sports Cards. I greeted the shopkeepers as I usually do, and I headed to the supplies section to purchase some ye' olde toploaders since my previous Pacific outing in Sherwood Park demanded toploaders and protection. As I got myself ready to get to the till, striding in my trademark style, I noticed a rack of cards that had never been at Wayne's before. Temptation made my head hurt, my palms became itchy, my heart raced...and I bought three boxes of product when all I had gone to do was buy supplies. So goes the game of cards...you want to spend $20, you end up spending 5-6 times as much.

Without further ado my brothers and sisters in cards, here be my three breaks, in order from least bully to most bully Smile

2000-01 Pacific Aurora (shorted a serial #d hit and cannot complain to Pacific about it..unless I spend $1.2 billion in research and development of a secret time machine that can take me back to 2001 so I can complain)

What is there to say? The inserts were alright, but without that Premiere Date that was in the stated odds, this box was a huge bust.

[Image: 0001aurora.jpg]

1999-00 Pacific Dynagon Ice. Living in Edmonton, I was pretty much drawn to anything with the word "ice" in it, so like a moth to a flame, I bought the box to see what would unfold. I had images of Irbe Ice Blue #/67 parallels dancing in my head...instead, I did pretty well, the Fuhr is good, especially since he is somewhat of a hero around these parts. Also cannot complain about the sought after SP RC of Saprykin)

[Image: 9900dynagonice.jpg]

And the best for last...no, these is not a 1/1 UPPER DECK SHIELD OMG!! MEGAHIT box that everyone posts in every second break online. Rather, this box is of an eclectic style. Highly uncommon and unusually expensive outside of where I located it today, this product produced the most favorable results in my box breaks today. Step right up, here is 1997-98 Donruss Canadian Ice. The Gilmour on top left is #/2000, the Messier on the middle left is #/1500, the Brodeur on the bottom left is #/1500, the Khristich, Iginla, Vernon, and Gilmour are each #/750 and the two beautiful die-cut cards of Messier and Belfour are #/1997.

[Image: 9798donrusscanadianice.jpg]

Now some of you may be asking yourselves in a British accent "I sure want me some of Bruce's cards, how could I get them from him?" To which I must reply in my special way: "Send me a PM, be nice, and do not assume a firesale...never assume a firesale Smile"

RE: My "I Have No Self-Control So I Bought 3 More Older Boxes" Thread!
AHAHAHAHAHA Bruce LOVE the story and build up. Great breaks again! I am very impressed. I wish I had more to offer you.....or anything to offer for that matter Smile You have a couple cards I would love to land in this break for my uncle (he's a Belfour fan)

Congrats!
Collecting
1. Mike Richter - 475/1641 28%
2. Eric Selleck - 21/30 70% (Incl. 1 Select Cracked Ice Not Listed)
3. Jeff Hoggan - 6/106 6%(Incl. 1 German Printing Plate Not Listed)
4. Guy Fieri - 9/19 47%
5. Sets - Listed in my organize, PC/Set Wants

Not bad again
[Image: marksig1.jpg]
STAN MIKITA CUP FOUNDATIONS
MATT SMABY CUP PRINTING PLATES

BUCKET LINK

(08-07-2012, 07:51 PM)irbefan4life Wrote: As the title says, I was minding my business, twiddling my cane about in a most merry manner (*DISCLAIMER* I don't actually have a cane)
I don't understand...how can you be an Irbe fan, and not have a single "HURRY" cane??

Nice stuff!!

''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)

(08-07-2012, 11:21 PM)jaykayzee Wrote: I don't understand...how can you be an Irbe fan, and not have a single "HURRY" cane??

Nice stuff!!
I see what you did there...sneaky, sneaky Smile

Thanks for the compliment, I am always pleased in my older breaks, often disappointed with the new stuff. Funny story, in the rare occasion whenever I am set up at card shows, the Pacific stuff I have sells like hot cakes while the Panini and Upper Deck stuff gather dust.

2 things... First: That Belfour Sharks card is flippin SWEET!! Second: "1999-00 Pacific Dynagon Ice. Living in Edmonton, I was pretty much drawn to anything with the word "ice" in it, so like a moth to a flame, I bought the box to see what would unfold. I had images of Irbe Ice Blue #/67 parallels dancing in my head...instead, I did pretty well, the Fuhr is good, especially since he is somewhat of a hero around these parts. Also cannot complain about the sought after SP RC of Saprykin)" You seriously dont have the 99-00 Dynagon Ice Blue Irbe?? And you never mentioned it to me? I have 2 of them that I picked up off hobby insider for peanuts early this year... Only problem tho is, you know my want list... PM me on what your willing to trade outa your collection...

Oh and BTW the History of the Franchise San Jose is no longer my top priority, I picked one up for $70 bout a month ago...
[Image: hitmanbanner2.jpg]
Check us out for PC cards, cards for trade & cards for sale

Very well written, Bruce! Congrats on snaring some breaks that you really enjoy and on the great hits! Thanks for another skit of hilarity!

Randi

Congrats Bruce! Amazing stuff yet again.

Great looking stuff Bruce. I love looking at the old school inserts. Brings back so many memories when I was a kid blowing all my money on cards, LOL. Some things never change. Out of curiosity, did you not get any of the Mario Lemieux Scrapbook cards from your Donruss Canadian Ice box. I always though there was 1-2 per box.

Thanks again for sharing, Chris
[Image: 35754349162_ed852a8323.jpg]

Bucket: https://www.flickr.com/photos/123198232@N04/albums
"ONLY TRADER ALBUMS ARE AVAILABLE"

(08-08-2012, 07:21 AM)dark crawler88 Wrote: Great looking stuff Bruce. I love looking at the old school inserts. Brings back so many memories when I was a kid blowing all my money on cards, LOL. Some things never change. Out of curiosity, did you not get any of the Mario Lemieux Scrapbook cards from your Donruss Canadian Ice box. I always though there was 1-2 per box.

Thanks again for sharing, Chris
Thanks for all of the comments everyone, they are all appreciated!

PMs have been sent and/or replied to.

Chris, I actually did not pull a Lemieux Scrapbook. I pulled Scrapbooks of Gilmour and Messier. In fact, only the 1996-97 edition of Donruss Canadian Ice had such a card of Super Mario.