`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grading Question

Grading Question
I am getting together my second submission. They offer a great deal on repeat customers. I am getting 10 cards graded with $16 dollars worth of insurance for only $95! They give you a $50 dollar discount, which is really nice! Anyways, here is my question:

I am submitting a Finest Refractor card. The card has a protective layer on it and I can clearly see there are marks on the protective layer. Should I take the layer off? Will this hurt the grade? How do they tell if the card underneath is good or not with the layer over it? PLMK! Thanks in advance!

[Image: Nick.jpg]

RE: Grading Question
You can get it graded either or. Obviously if the protector is still on, it's more valuable. It's a risk you take by taking off the protector.
Hey Nick, FYI, I would hold off on sending out this week. The grading team will be at the Baltimore Card show, so they won't be grading from the 1-7 of August. I have 2 orders there now and I just found out today that it will be a bit longer before I get them. I would try to have them there by the 8th or 9th just to guarranty that it will be 10 days.
[Image: MJCollage_zps3209fd89.jpg]

(07-31-2012, 01:03 AM)htowntigger Wrote: You can get it graded either or. Obviously if the protector is still on, it's more valuable. It's a risk you take by taking off the protector.
Hey Nick, FYI, I would hold off on sending out this week. The grading team will be at the Baltimore Card show, so they won't be grading from the 1-7 of August. I have 2 orders there now and I just found out today that it will be a bit longer before I get them. I would try to have them there by the 8th or 9th just to guarranty that it will be 10 days.
Will the scratches on the protective layer affect the grade? There is an obvious scratch the size of a pen tip on the layer. Not sure if it has gone through onto the card or not. I will just send it in as is.

Thanks for the heads up. I am doing the 20 day service and wasnt going to send in until Friday anyways.

Yeah, they would, Nick, the scratches would be considered surface defects. If I'm not mistaken, I think you can ask them to remove the protector and grade the card without it if you would want to do that. That or tell them not to grade it under a minimum grade.

(07-31-2012, 10:25 AM)htowntigger Wrote: Yeah, they would, Nick, the scratches would be considered surface defects. If I'm not mistaken, I think you can ask them to remove the protector and grade the card without it if you would want to do that. That or tell them not to grade it under a minimum grade.
Yeah a guy from Beckett told me to remove it. I am not going to send that card in because I do not want to risk taking it off. Thanks for your help man!

No problem, good luck on the grades! Can't wait to see how you did on the Legacy. Heck, those are so expensive now!

(07-31-2012, 01:22 PM)htowntigger Wrote: No problem, good luck on the grades! Can't wait to see how you did on the Legacy. Heck, those are so expensive now!
Yeah they really do! The card I have sold recently for 1500 without being graded. I dont anticipate a 9.5 or anything on the Legacy. Hoping for a 8.5 at least though.