`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd BGS Mailday w/ scans

2nd BGS Mailday w/ scans
Got these in earlier today, lots of good and bad news.

First the good: Out of 22 cards graded, only one graded lower than an 8.5 (and it got an 8!) and at least half a dozen cards graded higher than I expected, including my $200 MJ getting a 9 even though it had a small-but-visible edging issue.

Now the bad: Of the 12 cards that got a 9, 7 would have been gem mint if just one subgrade had been .5 higher Sad Also, my '86 Star MJ came back questionable authenticity. I'm no expert on that particular set, but it looked pretty legit to me. I actually bought it from somebody on this site but I can't for the life of me remember who, so I'm hoping that comes to me in the near future, or whoever it was reads this and gets back to me!

Below are the scans, I'll describe the cards, my guess on the grades (obviously you'll see the actual grade!) and why I had them graded if it's not readily obvious haha.

Let the scans begin!

Pic #1: Randoms
1994-95 Skybox Premium Grant Hill Gold #GH0- pulled this as a kid, first big pull ever, still love it even though it books WAY less than the $100 when I hit it. Guessed grade: 8
1995-96 SP PC Holoviews David Robinson- cool error card w/ Laettner in the background. Guessed grade: 9
2008-09 Topps Signature autos Larry Bird- auto got a 10 Smile Guessed grade: 9.5
[Image: randomgradedcards001.jpg]

Pic #2: Mitch Richmonds- my weird PC guy!
2008-09 Topps T51 Murad Relics- Guessed grade: 9
1999-00 Topps Autographs- 10 auto. Guessed grade: 8
1996-97 Topps Holding Court Refractors- Guessed grade: 9
1997-98 Topps Generations Refractors- Guessed grade: 8.5
[Image: gradedmitches1001.jpg]

Pic #3: More Richmonds!
1996-97 Bowman's Best Refractor & Atomic Refractor- Guessed grades: 9.5 (regular) 9 (atomic)
1998-99 Chrome Season's Best Refractors- the scan doesn't do this card justice. This refractor is stunning in person! Guessed grade: 9
1998-99 Topps Roundball Royalty Refractor- Guessed grade: 9.5
[Image: gradedmitches2001.jpg]

Pic #4: Jordans! Side Note: I hate the bad centering on early Finest cards!
1993-94 Finest- Guessed grade: 8
1995-96 Finest- Guessed grade: 8.5
1997-98 EX2001- Guessed grade: 9.5 (was way off on this one, didn't realize it was off center...and is it me or were those black Bulls jerseys in the late 90's just wicked looking??)
1999-00 SPx Starscape- Guessed grade: 9 (another beauty in person)
[Image: gradedJordans1001.jpg]

Pic #5: More Jordans!
1995-96 Metal Scoring Magnets- Guessed grade: 8.5
1997-98 MJx Timepieces Bronze- Guessed grade: 8.5
1994-95 SP Championship Playoff Heroes- Guessed grade: 9.5
1997-98 UD3 MJ31- Guessed grade: 9
[Image: gradedJordans2001.jpg]

Pic #6: Best MJs! (best as in two gem mints and one that's numbered to 23!)
1997-98 MJx Timepieces gold- Guessed grade: 8.5
1996 SPx- Guessed grade: 9
1995-96 EX-l Blue- Guessed grade: 9
[Image: gradedJordans3001.jpg]

So thankfully, a lot of cards graded higher than I was expecting, and I'm pretty darn happy overall! And as a shout out to all the awesome members on here, I picked up 14 of the 22 cards in deals on this site, so thank you to everyone who helped out my PC!!! Smile

I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

RE: 2nd BGS Mailday w/ scans
Beautiful cards, would love to see that starscape. Need to see if there's one for a Piston. Am I the only one that wishes they would sometimes make the name go all the way across the label. Take for example the 1996 SPx #8 Michael Jordan. That really couldn't fit all the way on that line? :|
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

Congrats on grades, would like to see a scan of the star card, for future reference.
Looking for all types of rookie cards. Only trade with a d/c #. If you have less than 25 trades you must ship first. Thanks.

[Image: 3sport.png]

Banner Thanks to CoolBrees.

Congrats on a great submission and some sweet cards!

Nice cards man! The Finest cards do grade tough on centering.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

(07-27-2012, 12:55 AM)nickm1123 Wrote: Nice cards man! The Finest cards do grade tough on centering.
I know! I have a borderless one from those years that books for $50 and it's in great condition otherwise, but I refuse to send it in b/c the centering is awful. I'm looking at it right now and if it got higher than a 7 on the centering I'd be shocked haha. Same for my 88-89 Fleer base. *sigh* Oh well, them's the breaks.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

(07-27-2012, 01:13 AM)buckunteer Wrote: I know! I have a borderless one from those years that books for $50 and it's in great condition otherwise, but I refuse to send it in b/c the centering is awful. I'm looking at it right now and if it got higher than a 7 on the centering I'd be shocked haha. Same for my 88-89 Fleer base. *sigh* Oh well, them's the breaks.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
Yeah, i have a couple cards like that too where I want to send them in but know that they wouldnt get higher than an 8, if that! Mainly because of centering too!

[Image: Nick.jpg]

how much did it cost you to get that graded?

Nice grades man. Sorry about the 9's that could be 9.5's. I always hate that. you can always send them back in for a "grade review" but I think 9's are good. I never understood why why some people think BGS9's are easy to get?! More so when you're grading cards from the 90's. I'll take a 9 any day Smile
NBA 50 GREATEST AUTOGRAPHS - 48/50 - 96%

50 Greatest still need - Chamberlin, Maravich.

(07-27-2012, 10:35 AM)arabiansnowgriz Wrote: Nice grades man. Sorry about the 9's that could be 9.5's. I always hate that. you can always send them back in for a "grade review" but I think 9's are good. I never understood why why some people think BGS9's are easy to get?! More so when you're grading cards from the 90's. I'll take a 9 any day Smile
I agree! I really hope for gem mints or pristines of course, but as long as I get a silver or gold colored label I'm happy!

@folkertino- I took advantage of the June grading offer ($7/card for 20-day service) so with shipping and insurance and whatnot it was around $180.