`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Whose your baseball idol?

RE: OT: Whose your baseball idol?
(07-16-2012, 02:41 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: I have 2. I always tend to pull for underdogs.

1- Mike Piazza. Drafted in the 62nd round, and only drafted because he was Tommy Lasorda's godson. From there, he developed into one of the greatest hitting catchers of all time.

2- Josh Hamilton. I know, lots of people will say his problems were self inflicted. I agree. But I did a lot of stupid stuff when I was 19. If someone gave me a few million dollars at age 19, I would likely be in jail or dead. He lost 5 years of his life/career to drugs and alcohol. He pulled himself out and worked his way into baseball again. To beat an addiction like that at all is incredible. To beat it and work your way into being a dominant major league hitter is something altogether different. And just because you made bad decisions when you were a kid doesn't mean you can't be an inspiration. In fact, he is an inspiration to me BECAUSE he made bad decisions, and refused to let those bad decisions define him. (Or his career)

Both of these guys remind me that odds mean nothing. There is no substitute for hard work and desire. Anything is possible and these are my 2 favorite players because they are living proof.

(Arian Foster for football for similar reasons. Undrafted FA that got put on the practice squad before he blew up!)
im not going to beat this into the ground, however: this wasnt when he was a kid. and he has relapsed in the last couple years

also, im not sure this is someone who is "idolized", or should be. admired? maybe. inspirition? case can be made. but idolized? i dont think that is the right word

(07-16-2012, 11:58 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: My initial thought is always jackie robinson, but i will always answer roberto clemente
+1 roberto clemente was a class act and will always be imo.

[Image: griffeyjr.jpg]

I have two baseball idols: Lou Gehrig and Derek Jeter.
Main Players: Derek Jeter, Mike Sweeney, Brett Hull, Jordan Binnington, Brendan Gallagher, Jaden Schwartz and Leon Draisaitl
Sets: Allen & Ginter mini, 2018 Archives, 2019 Heritage, 2019-20 OPC/Upper Deck Series 1 & 2 Hockey and 1956 Topps Baseball

(07-16-2012, 03:19 PM)bman12 Wrote: +1 roberto clemente was a class act and will always be imo.
he died as he lived - in service of others

The original post beat me with Stan Musial. He is, in my mind, exactly what a baseball player should be - loyal to his team AND community. It will be a sad day when Mr. Musial goes to the big diamond in the sky. Sure wish Pujols would have fashioned himself after Stan!
It does no good to get on the right track if you are headed in the wrong direction.
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af111/baseballmason1958/st_louis_ca
rdinals_towel-1.jpg[/img]

Gary Carter and Eric Chavez. I am still saddened by the untimely death of The Kid.

Side note on Griffey. Even though I was always raised a Yankees fan and will forever be a yankees fan. During his time in Seattle around where I was growing up lplaying little league I remember going to practice and at times trying to switch hit and used his swing stroke as a lefty. Beautiful swing. Lefties always have the sweetest swings

Jackie Robinson.
I collect Jackie Robinson, Dee Gordon, Daniel Nava.

I would have to say Ken Griffey Jr. The reasoning is because i liked how he approached and played the game plus his swing, I copied his swing because it was such a relaxing and fluent motion just a sweet swing.