Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to Expect?
Question 
What to Expect?
I've recently been looking into getting some cards graded. After doing some research on both PSA and Beckett, it appears Beckett would have a more reliable and accurate scoring for newer cards.

My main concern, though, is what to really expect as a grade. The terms NM and M are used so commonly together that purchasing a card in prospect of getting it graded seems undesirable. Just to prove my point, I had a card seller on eBay tell me his cards were NM to M condition, but he couldn't guarantee that they would be worthy of being graded. I am well aware that the BGS appears to be the most particular. I don't expect to get a 10 on any of my cards.

Here are my questions:

1) If I purchase cards said to be in NM/M, what grading should I expect? Do sellers regularly under grade their cards to not get the buyers hopes up?

2) Who should I purchase cards from, a store or another collector? Price is not much of an issue, but rather the quality.

RE: What to Expect?
(07-12-2012, 03:46 PM)ArchersAxe Wrote: I've recently been looking into getting some cards graded. After doing some research on both PSA and Beckett, it appears Beckett would have a more reliable and accurate scoring for newer cards.

My main concern, though, is what to really expect as a grade. The terms NM and M are used so commonly together that purchasing a card in prospect of getting it graded seems undesirable. Just to prove my point, I had a card seller on eBay tell me his cards were NM to M condition, but he couldn't guarantee that they would be worthy of being graded. I am well aware that the BGS appears to be the most particular. I don't expect to get a 10 on any of my cards.

Here are my questions:

1) If I purchase cards said to be in NM/M, what grading should I expect? Do sellers regularly under grade their cards to not get the buyers hopes up?

2) Who should I purchase cards from, a store or another collector? Price is not much of an issue, but rather the quality.
1) It would depend on the seller. Some do undergrade their cards, while others overgrade their cards. On this one, NM-MT equals BGS 8.

2) On this one, I only have one seller and only one card. I think his eBay name is newenglandsportscards. He said his card was MINT; I had it graded by Beckett and it got a BGS 9 MINT.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(07-12-2012, 03:46 PM)ArchersAxe Wrote: I've recently been looking into getting some cards graded. After doing some research on both PSA and Beckett, it appears Beckett would have a more reliable and accurate scoring for newer cards.

Here are my questions:

Nolan would be correct on the NM-MT term, and some under grade and over grade. If it is a vintage card expect it to be less. I am putting together a 1954 set in Ex-MT cond. So I will only buy NM cards, expecting them to come back 5.5 to 6.5.

newenglandsportscards is a good seller, I buy A LOT from them, but even their cards are not always accruate. Like I bought a bulk 1977 lot from them described as NM-MT and they were average Ex-MT+

I sell a bunch myself on eBay: seller ID: sellurstuff2010
I consider myself conservative in my descriptions.

I really wouldnt purchase a card on the internet in hopes of getting it graded. you need to see them in person to really make a decision. people complain all the time about getting a card graded a 9 when in fact most cards these days that have an auto or patch or something would grade far less than that. it doesnt take much to knock a card down. i recently had some cards graded that looked absolutley flawless and they both got 9's. you would think they would have had bad centering or surface since thats hard to spot, but no, they were hit on corners. i have no idea how but it happened.
[Image: nthnoak.jpg]

Looking for 49er Autos and Kobe Bryant.

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz216...r%20Trade/

I'm looking at building a small MTG collection of cards ranging from 2007 on based around a specific character. In the MTG market, I have found only one eBay seller that marks their cards mint, but all the cards he sells are based around a format. The issue with looking for some of the cards I desire in person would be like sorting through a haystack for 30 or 40 needles, one piece at a time (Foil Mythic - A rarity of its own). The only store that I know has the card I'm searching for is 35 Hours away. I'm checking locally this weekend, but as of now, buying online is my only option.

And honestly, I'd be happy with a collection of nines! 8 or higher is what I'd be aiming for. Thanks for your time guys, I just want to make sure this is something I want to dive into.

(07-12-2012, 10:32 PM)nthnoak Wrote: I really wouldnt purchase a card on the internet in hopes of getting it graded. you need to see them in person to really make a decision. people complain all the time about getting a card graded a 9 when in fact most cards these days that have an auto or patch or something would grade far less than that. it doesnt take much to knock a card down. i recently had some cards graded that looked absolutley flawless and they both got 9's. you would think they would have had bad centering or surface since thats hard to spot, but no, they were hit on corners. i have no idea how but it happened.
Jersey cards often times lose points on the corners subgrade.

(07-13-2012, 07:26 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: Jersey cards often times lose points on the corners subgrade.
if your referring to one of my cards that i said got a 9, it was a topps chrome base superfractor. so no jersey on it. usually with topps chrome they are off center but not this one. i thought it was a pretty sharp looking card as many cards out of chrome even get 10's.
[Image: nthnoak.jpg]

Looking for 49er Autos and Kobe Bryant.

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz216...r%20Trade/

(07-13-2012, 03:00 PM)nthnoak Wrote: if your referring to one of my cards that i said got a 9, it was a topps chrome base superfractor. so no jersey on it. usually with topps chrome they are off center but not this one. i thought it was a pretty sharp looking card as many cards out of chrome even get 10's.
No, I was referring to jersey cards in general.