• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bryce Harper and the all-star game: "vote for chipper, not me"

RE: Bryce Harper and the all-star game: "vote for chipper, not me"
Vote Roger Clemens.....lmao
[Image: cyber-1.png]
Bucket
Collecting CURRENT Raiders....Carr, Mack, Bo, brown ++

Dan Uggla is batting .234 and is on the team, and he doesn't belong either. Maybe we should start a thread for him!

It's an exhibition game, and MLB has strange rules for how the team is assembled. There are always going to be players that make it who shouldn't.

(07-03-2012, 05:40 PM)ryanmo5 Wrote: If Harper's numbers backed up an all star appearance I would be all for it but they don't, he hasn't earned the right to be apart of the all star game yet imo. The rest of the list all belong ahead of him
Numbers do not matter!!! It is all about popularity! Get that through your nuggets people.

thanks for sharing the article. nice read. I'm voting for CHIPPER!!
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

Chipper is already in, Kemp can't play.

(07-03-2012, 11:51 AM)shezdoni Wrote: Harper doesn't deserve to be an all star, nor does he have the stats to be an all star.

He has been so over-hyped by the media, that they have the fans believing that he is the second coming of mantle or something, truth is, he is a good ball player, but not an all star, nor a gold glove winner good, nor will he ever be.

Batting against top caliber pitchers like Santana,Sabathia, Oswalt, etc... is totally different than batting against some 16 yr old in high school, He would have been better off going to college, and perfecting his game more, than being hyped into the Majors which he doesn't deserve.

I seem to recall a few years ago, another over hyped player by the Media, by the name of Toe Nash, as being the second coming of Clemente because he was a 5 tool talent, where is he now? Hmmm
So a .276 Batting Average as of last night, does this mean they switch to high school pitchers every time he comes up? I wouldn't say he is deserving of the all-star game but his game is much more advanced than most people at 19. Also the Nationals gm had said that when the other players get healthy the plan is to send Harper back to AAA obviously theres something there to keep him in the majors Not sure where your logic is.

[Image: TotallySports.png]
Collecting Steven Jackson, Sam Bradford, Peyton Manning, Derek Jeter,Andre Ethier, Clayton Kershaw, Rickey Henderson, Kobe Bryant
http://s992.photobucket.com/user/datsyukguy/library/

(07-04-2012, 02:49 AM)Ziveus101 Wrote: Congrats to Chipper. Now Harper's probably gonna get in since he's the biggest name on the candidates list.
That doesn't mean he deserves it (although I personally think he does), but he's the only final vote candidate that can produce a huge headline for the media.
I would have to give the nod to Bourn over Harper because of the fan base sizes. The Braves have a huge fan base all over the south and The Nats, ehh. I voted for Bourn but it is good for the game to have a much hyped player in the ASG.

(07-03-2012, 04:47 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: All-Star voting is crap in any sport, always has been.

As long as the uninformed and ignorant public is allowed to do anything, as always it will ruin everything.

It's just a popularity contest. It's fine the way it is, and I just wish people would shut their yaps until it's fixed.
I completely agree with the uninformed and ignorant statement as well as the A.S. voting is garbage. Really, I don't look at it as an exhibition anymore ever since they attached the W.S. home field advantage to the winner. Once they did that, they should have taken away a large chunk of the fans' voting rights. Not in all cases, but it seems every year there are people who should be starters but are not, because the fans don't know what's going on outside of their own team or they just vote for the big name they've heard somewhere. I don't think I've voted for the A.S. starters for a few years now. Not going to waste my time checking out the players and who is most deserving when you've got people who will check off everyone on their team 25 times.

However, I did decide to vote for this final player, which to me seems like you're picking the last kid in kickball anyway and it's just not a big deal. AND, for the first time I decided to vote like everyone else and not take anything else into consideration. Thus, Harper and Hammel got my sole votes. Nope, I won't vote more than once, that's lame. Does Harper deserve to be there? Maybe, maybe not. But I have a hard time listening to the arguments against him when people want to put a player into the game deciding W.S. homefield advantage that doesn't belong there either. If he hadn't announced that this is his last year, would this even be a discussion? Doubt it.

In the end, it doesn't matter anyway since Chipper got into the game.

Harper has posted an OPS+ of 123 as a teenager -- something that's been done just twice in the history of baseball in a qualified season: by Ty Cobb in 1906 and Mel Ott in 1928.

(07-03-2012, 11:49 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: he isnt saying that. he's giving respect to chipper, not himself

incongruent logic

because value isnt based on stats

so, not hitting yourself in the face makes you an all-star. field will be a might bit crowded this year
so you talked to bryce harper and he told you what his true intentions were on his comment on chipper. the guy is battin under 300 with 8 hr 20 rbi at the break.....hes not an allstar. im calling him a moron for hitting himself in the face, not a role model i want for my kid....since i am a fan and vote for all stars i would say my opinion matters. i havent heard of one other major league player slam a bat in the wall that bounce back and hit them in the face...please enlighten me on who else did it.
(07-03-2012, 01:26 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Well, you have to pick one or the other. Trout has only played in one more game than Harper.

hes leading the friggin league in batting avg....his stats are 5x that of harper. my goodness. huge difference.
I am the resident super collector of David Wright. I also collect Jose Reyes, Michael Jordan, Brett Favre, Antoine Walker and Rookies.
Set needs- 2007 bowman chrome and draft refractors -69% complete
Over 500 trades on beckett since joining in 1999
[Image: FG4Hq.png]