`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is BCGS Worth It?

Is BCGS Worth It?
First let me start off - I am looking for honest input. I know I am on a Beckett site, and there are some good quality items I have seen, but I have also seen cards and questioned WTH?!? I have been a collector of items such as Coins, Stamps, Sports Stuff for sometime. With Coins, PCGS (1) is usually perferred over NGC (2) as NGC gives more 'freedom' in their grades. I can usually determine the grades of such coins 92% of the time. I have sent in my own coins to be slabbed and graded and can figure out which is going to be more stringent or flexible. The same goes for Stamps with PSA too. With that said, I have finally decided to start on my Baseball, Basketball, Football - Other Movie (Star Wars/Alien/etc) slabbing process and wanted honest feedback on what users really think. these cards where probably touched 1 time to view, I have items like 1986 Fleer MJ rookie with great center/colors 9+, 1954 Topps Ted Williams/Hank Aaron probably 8+ pending service, and many more - probably over 400 cards. I have seen/read several threads with Pro's & Con's one even mentioned 'crumbs in the Beckett slab' which IMO I would have went crazy over as they probably got the oil from their skin on the card(s) and can eventually degrade them. I have seen cards in all vendors vary with color/centering/finish/borders -But I do see with BCGS on the 9.0 -10.0 grading they do command higher prices then the SGC/PSA 9.0-10.0 grading. So is it Beckett takes these 'higher grades' more seriously then say the standard 8.0 NM? I know in the coin world that PCGS MS65 vs NGC MS65 will command 10-20% more at auction/sale. Is this true with the higher grades of BCGS or is it a hit or miss? Your valuable input/insight would be most helpful. Again this is not to slam any particular service as I know they are not all perfect, but overall from you all who have been slabbing cards for years would definately be helpful and appreciative. =)

RE: Is BCGS Worth It?
In all honesty man it boils down to what you like best. As you have read both PSA and BGS have their pros and cons. Depending on who tells you what. Those that prefer PSA will tell you PSA is better and those who prefer BGS will tell you they are better. Both have their horror stories and both have their praises. Its all in whice you like best. I went with BGS because I like the slabs and feel more confident they will survive longer. However I would also like PSA for their registry. After doing the research I decided that both are subject to human error and went with the company who's slabs and labels I liked better.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

Pros for PSA:
1. The Registry
2. Gem Mint 10 would typically sell higher on the secondary market vs a BGS 9.5
3. Most often used grading company
4. Better for vintage (pre-1980)

Pros for BGS
1. More secure slab (thicker with plastic penny sleeve insert)
2. Better display
3. Resell value on modern cards (such as inserts, refractors, autos) are typically higher on the secondary market vs PSA.

Cons for PSA:
1. Flimsy slab (cards sometimes rattle inside).
2. Label isnt attractive.

Cons for BGS
1. The registry isnt very reliable.
2. Communication Between BGS and customer isnt very good.

Also I wanted to note that BCGS may confuse other people with Beckett Collector's Club Group (BCCG) which I equal to a raw card pricing because their grading, although owned by Beckett is horrible.

Skybox Autographics Set Collector

I prefer BGS of PSA mostly because I collect cards and don't really sell too many, and those I do sell are because I have upgraded them; and I just like the look and feel of the slab better. I don't like the fact that I have to join PSA to have them grade a card.

With that said, if I were having cards like yours graded and they were for re-sell it seems to me that PSA is regarded a bit higher for vintage cards than BVG and seem to sell more. I do feel that BVG is is a bit more strict in their grading than PSA.
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

You do not have to be a member of PSA to have your cards graded with them, that is completely untrue.

(06-05-2012, 11:59 AM)dmasci Wrote: I don't like the fact that I have to join PSA to have them grade a card.

Skybox Autographics Set Collector

(06-06-2012, 11:38 AM)jchavestx Wrote: You do not have to be a member of PSA to have your cards graded with them, that is completely untrue.
Hey thanks for that information....I never realized that and thought you had to join...thanks
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

If you join you get monthly promos...From what I gather on the site anyway.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC