`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upper Deck Customer Service, or lack thereof

Upper Deck Customer Service, or lack thereof
I bought a few packs of 2012 Upper Deck at our LCS about a week ago and pulled a Tyler Hansen RC, but didn’t think much of it till a few nights ago when I noticed the foil was blue instead of silver, so I flipped the card over and noticed it had that “congratulations, you have pulled a Tyler Hansen autograph!” message on it. So I compared it to another auto I pulled and it’s exactly like that one – except UD ever put the sticker auto on it. So I contacted their QA dept and was asked to send front and back scans (which I did), then they ask for more info, my name, addy, where I bought it, etc. – which I provided (and I will have to send the card back – so why did they need the scans?) Anyway, one of the questions was “do you have a receipt?” No, I didn’t, since it was a few packs, I paid cash. (who keeps receipts for a few packs paid for in cash??) Then they say they can’t do anything because I don’t have proof of purchase. So…I guess I must have stolen it, right? Now I don’t really care about a Tyler Hansen auto, but it’s the principle at this point.
Now with all the bad press UD has received lately (scam Yugioh cards, losing NFL license, sued for non-payment for player autos (hmm…) I would think their Customer Service dept would be looking to salvage what little customer confidence remains . . . but no, all I got was a runaround when I asked them to replace something that wasn’t right in a current year product.
I am officially done with Upper Deck – over a silly low end auto. I’ve always been an upper deck fan – but they’ve burned their last bridge with me.
/rant
NY Giants and HOF/legend/superstar collector.
[Image: GiantsFade.png]

RE: Upper Deck Customer Service, or lack thereof
Upper Deck has been bad to me too. I was in a Baseball group break a few years ago, had the Toronto Blue Jays for a case of 08 Exquisite Rookies Collection and pulled a redemption for a 1 of 1 Adam Lind and Reed Johnson dual auto. Not a great card but a 1 of 1 nonetheless. So I redeem it and it comes in fine. It actually took me about a week to realize it but they messed up on making the card. They put 2 Adam Lind autos on it. I called them and told them the error. They wanted proof of purchase, I got the guy who did the group break to send me the invoice he received for the case. Sent it to them and then they did nothing. Even sent them a link to the video but they said nothing they could do and sent the card back to me. Now I just keep it as an Upper Deck screw up card.
2008 UD Masterpiece Stroke of Genius Football Set- 9/76= 11.8%

The whole issue with the reciept thing is because Upper Deck now states that unless you can prove you bought thier product from an "UPPER DECK AUTHORIZED DEALER", they will not back any aspect of thier product. It's a combination of trying to squeeze out anyone who doesn't play well with them, by not assisting those establishment's customers with "service", and trying to police all the "my box didn't deliver the right hits" issues they are getting by being able to trace QA issues back to specific stores/distributors.

I have my own problem with UD right now. A while back, I bought some older blasters from a clearance sale. One of the blasters had a redemption card inside. I knew it was old, but it didn't actually have an expiration date on it, so I typed the code in. Upper Deck froze my account with them, claiming that I was typing in a fraudulent code, and gave me directions to contact them online. I've not ever recieved any response, and have a stack of redemptions I can't redeem on thier site!!

''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)

(06-01-2012, 11:49 AM)os1116 Wrote: Upper Deck has been bad to me too. I was in a Baseball group break a few years ago, had the Toronto Blue Jays for a case of 08 Exquisite Rookies Collection and pulled a redemption for a 1 of 1 Adam Lind and Reed Johnson dual auto. Not a great card but a 1 of 1 nonetheless. So I redeem it and it comes in fine. It actually took me about a week to realize it but they messed up on making the card. They put 2 Adam Lind autos on it. I called them and told them the error. They wanted proof of purchase, I got the guy who did the group break to send me the invoice he received for the case. Sent it to them and then they did nothing. Even sent them a link to the video but they said nothing they could do and sent the card back to me. Now I just keep it as an Upper Deck screw up card.
Wow - thats pretty sad when they even screw up a 1/1 redemption. guess I dont feel so bad now - thanks!
(06-01-2012, 12:12 PM)jaykayzee Wrote: The whole issue with the reciept thing is because Upper Deck now states that unless you can prove you bought thier product from an "UPPER DECK AUTHORIZED DEALER", they will not back any aspect of thier product. It's a combination of trying to squeeze out anyone who doesn't play well with them, by not assisting those establishment's customers with "service", and trying to police all the "my box didn't deliver the right hits" issues they are getting by being able to trace QA issues back to specific stores/distributors.

I have my own problem with UD right now. A while back, I bought some older blasters from a clearance sale. One of the blasters had a redemption card inside. I knew it was old, but it didn't actually have an expiration date on it, so I typed the code in. Upper Deck froze my account with them, claiming that I was typing in a fraudulent code, and gave me directions to contact them online. I've not ever recieved any response, and have a stack of redemptions I can't redeem on thier site!!
Sheesh - I don't really know if our LCS is an authorized UD dealer - so evn if I had a receipt, they might still not honor it??
Hmm, well if there's no expiration date - how can they NOT honor it? Oh yeah, by claiming its fraudulent - gotcha.
Huh

I loved collecting Upper Deck cards as a kid... Times have sure changed for the worst... I have some UD cards in my PC, but I definately hate hearing how crappy they have become... It can't be much longer you would think...

I called customer service about a specific card from an autograph set I am doing about a month ago. The lady I spoke to on the phone was very polite and helpful. She took down all the information I offered, asked additional questions on her own, etc so I was very happy with her. She then said the person that could help me was out of the office and she would give all this information to him/her. She said that this "person" would have to get back with me because she herself didn't have the knowledge to answer my question. I said ok, and verified again that I would hear back from this "person" that was out of the office. She confirmed that yes, I would hear back from him/her. That was a month ago and I have not heard back from them. I had also sent an email about a week before my phone call and didn't get a reply, which is what prompted me to call them in the first place.

(06-01-2012, 01:44 PM)slotman11 Wrote: I loved collecting Upper Deck cards as a kid... Times have sure changed for the worst... I have some UD cards in my PC, but I definately hate hearing how crappy they have become... It can't be much longer you would think...
Some of my favorite cards in my collection are upper deck. thats why this is so sad. Correct - the writing is on the wall.
(06-01-2012, 01:45 PM)quobbinnobbin Wrote: I called customer service about a specific card from an autograph set I am doing about a month ago. The lady I spoke to on the phone was very polite and helpful. She took down all the information I offered, asked additional questions on her own, etc so I was very happy with her. She then said the person that could help me was out of the office and she would give all this information to him/her. She said that this "person" would have to get back with me because she herself didn't have the knowledge to answer my question. I said ok, and verified again that I would hear back from this "person" that was out of the office. She confirmed that yes, I would hear back from him/her. That was a month ago and I have not heard back from them. I had also sent an email about a week before my phone call and didn't get a reply, which is what prompted me to call them in the first place.
Sorry to hear about this. Thats one thing I can say - at least the QA rep was polite. Pretty much useless, but polite. Big Grin

sorry UD is giving you the run around Sad they're nothing but trash IMHO, and I refuse to buy any of their products anymore Sad

I would call them back and raise h-e-double toothpicks !!! need a reciept my arse, they just don't want to deal with your problem ..... I could understand if it was a 2005-06 product but this years ??? that totally, completely and utterly blows Sad

(06-01-2012, 03:42 PM)pbean Wrote: they're nothing but trash IMHO, and I refuse to buy any of their products anymore Sad
DITTO! I haven't even bothered to look at their product ads for a few years now, much less the actual releases or collectors' box breaks of ANYTHING they've released in the past few years. The only UD products I ever buy now are pre-2009 and ONLY if there is almost no chance that I'll pull a redemption! It is very rare that I buy any UD cards now but I used to love SPx (and Icons was good while it lasted).

Bye bye, UD. Maybe they can survive if they decide to rip off a different demographic in a different hobby besides sports. Personally, I don't think they could survive if they started making Playing Cards. They'd still lose out to the 'Bee' and 'Aviator' brands. Big Grin

They have a customer service department?
[Image: 0a0d6456-0c97-44b9-873b-79f839312664_zpstsdq3axa.jpg]