Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SP Authentic Production Quality

SP Authentic Production Quality
========================
My experience with SP Authentic
========================

I have been out of card collecting for a long time and am now having fun with the hobby again. SP Authentic seems to be one of the most popular brands. I have busted maybe two or three boxes lifetime. I remember buying the 1998/99 product where I pulled this Vincent Lecavalier Stat Masters card:

[Image: SPAuthenticLecavalier.jpg]

As you can see, the top of the card was damaged--right out of the pack. I decided then not to keep buying any of it. It was a long time ago now but I remember some of the other cards having dinged corners as well.

With my past experience with SP Authentic still fresh in my mind, I decided to go ahead and have another go of it. Well, over a decade later, in my personal experience with this product, nothing has changed. I pulled this Future Watch Patch Autograph of Andrew Bodnarchuk which was damaged straight from the package--again. The best hit of the box, worthless.

[Image: SPAuthenticBodnarchuk.jpg]
[Image: f.png]

I like trying all different kinds of products, but the production quality of SP Authentic has not been kind to me. It's sloppy. Probably won't buy more.

RE: SP Authentic Production Quality
I've had that in alot of upper deck brands. Its very frustrating, must be something to do with automation/machines doing the packing.

i understand your frustration yet i dont understand why you wouldnt make a fuss to get
what your owed, ive had damaged cards from every brand ive boughten and companies
have been for the most part very good to replace or rectify the situation. I tend to be
on the brands side for damages cards, i mean they make massive amounts of quality cards
and usually back the product even if it takes a couple months.
next time take the extra step and report it to them 9 time outta 10 you'll be reimbursed
one way or another.hope your luck changes sp authentic is imo a top notch brand.
jv

Well you might not have to worry about SPA from what I'm hearing. The word is SPA is now delayed to July and that is even if it is release. Also heard there is a chance that Ultimate and Cup may not even get produced this year. UD is in very bad shape.

Just busted a box of Contender's and it looks similar to to SPA. Pulled a Calder Contenders 2 color Auto Patch of Brendan Smith /100. I love Contenders as from what I have seen the Patch Autos are about 4 to 5 a case plus there is a booklet in every case. Compared to SPA which was 1 or 2 per case and no booklets. Something else that you might like to try.

Collecting:
Current Penguins / Sidney Crosby / Penguins RCs

[Image: 39d17c38-0760-4e5f-8be4-b6c654d92bea_zpsjsqahbfv.jpg]
The mountains are calling and I MUST GO!!!!

The only people that want you to believe UD is going under is Panini, because their hockey product continues to be crap. Contenders is a good product if you like to collect players like Brendan Smith and other C-listers. Save your money and wait for SP Authentic.

(05-18-2012, 01:32 PM)popjon Wrote: The only people that want you to believe UD is going under is Panini, because their hockey product continues to be crap. Contenders is a good product if you like to collect players like Brendan Smith and other C-listers. Save your money and wait for SP Authentic.
In my opinion Contenders is not crap. One of the better products that Panini has produced. I have bought countless boxes of SPA over the years and not once have I hit a Patch Auto. I am not saying that I hate UD products because I buy as much of UD as I do Panini. I just like the fact that you have a MUCH better chance of hitting a Rookie Patch Auto in Contenders than in SPA. Also Panini has the same RCs as UD does, so yes Smith is not the biggest rookie on the list but he is a very good prospect and UD will have him in SPA as well as all the other C-listers according to you. Once SPA does come out, I can't wait to see the crap boxes that come out of it, because I know from experience that it is another one of those hit or miss products that UD continually makes.

Collecting:

SPA got pushed back to 6-26-12, we are a hobby store, have not heard much about the products being dropped, we have heard most of the rumours most of you have. But if I was most of you I would hope UD does not go under, because the value out of Panini boxes will kill the market.

(05-18-2012, 11:15 AM)pens1fan Wrote: Well you might not have to worry about SPA from what I'm hearing. The word is SPA is now delayed to July and that is even if it is release. Also heard there is a chance that Ultimate and Cup may not even get produced this year. UD is in very bad shape.

Just busted a box of Contender's and it looks similar to to SPA. Pulled a Calder Contenders 2 color Auto Patch of Brendan Smith /100. I love Contenders as from what I have seen the Patch Autos are about 4 to 5 a case plus there is a booklet in every case. Compared to SPA which was 1 or 2 per case and no booklets. Something else that you might like to try.
Sure about the booklets, but i just looked on the bay and half the "books' are redemptions and the 3 that have sold were all redemptions. The same old shite continues.

(05-18-2012, 05:13 PM)rippinwax Wrote: Sure about the booklets, but i just looked on the bay and half the "books' are redemptions and the 3 that have sold were all redemptions. The same old shite continues.
Yes true it continues but the same goes for UD also. I do not think that it's all the manufactures fault, players need to sign in a timely manner and it just doesn't happen.
Collecting:

(05-18-2012, 05:30 PM)pens1fan Wrote: Yes true it continues but the same goes for UD also. I do not think that it's all the manufactures fault, players need to sign in a timely manner and it just doesn't happen.
So if the player does not sign on time do not include him in the packs and also do not pay him. That will speed the players up.