`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OT: hobby or a "part time business" .....
Tongue 
OT: hobby or a "part time business" .....
messing with the idea of selling some of my custom card stands ..... each one is a "one of a kind" hand-cut oak stand, and I've been playing with the idea of turning them into some "fun money" Smile

here's some quick examples of my work .....

[Image: 100_6223.jpg]
[Image: 100_4078.jpg]
[Image: 100_4020.jpg]
[Image: 100_4030.jpg]

I use other mediums other than wood as well, so the skies the limit Smile

[Image: 100_4022.jpg]
[Image: 100_4024.jpg]

please be honest, if you think there's a small market for them maybe I'll try to produce a bunch and sell them as I can, or if you think I'm wasting my time, please let me know that as well Smile

thanks in advance .....
pbean

RE: OT: hobby or a "part time business" .....
I think those are sick! Love that Marble looking one but the wood are nice too. I say try it out pbean!
[Image: mooncricket916.jpg]

I think they are cool!! It all depends on the price. They are very neat display pieces, and I would buy one if they where $5-$10, but if they where $20 I don't think I would buy one. Lmk the price they would be, and if you can make a 22 (Doug Martin #)
Betts Hursh Kimbrel Smile

[Image: bd2740c1-d591-4332-b7b1-0528f205c994_zpsdbff6c02.jpg]

I too think it would really depend on how much you would charge.....
they are nice and I wouldn't mind one for those three cards in my sig either

[Image: p18mannbanner.gif]

I think there is a market for them and I dont think you are wasting your time at all. I think what you have to ask yourself is are you REALLY trying to make some change from it or are you content just doing a few here and there. Cause if you are serious about really making money you have to figure how much time and money goes into making one and how much you can get for one. They are VERY nice and I have thought of a couple ideas of some myself just by looking at yours. If you can make a bunch of them reasonably considering time and materials, I say do it. I wouldnt mind having a couple custom one myself. Smile
[Image: IMG_0004-3-1-1-1-1.jpg][Image: dcb5423c-6775-419e-9e21-4965884632ba.jpg]

There is a larger market for what you do my friend, even if you just hit the local card shows and what not. Word of mouth does wonders and you are more than welcome to use any of the photos I have for selling points..Big Grin
[Image: Mic_SPA_Banner1.jpg]

i do think you can do well with those my friend...why you ask?..shipping. anything bigger like the cases my buddy makes would be too costly...you can offer them fair ship AND a quality item like those..
Winner bro.
Smile
2007 FotG NFL Prime 130/133
2009 FotG NFL Prime 66/90
2010 FotG NFL Prime 103/103
DONE
http://s877.photobucket.com/user/sto66/l...ECUT%20SET
2011 Playbook Prime 68/95

RE: OT: hobby or a
(05-13-2012, 02:33 PM)mooncricket916 Wrote: I think those are sick! Love that Marble looking one but the wood are nice too. I say try it out pbean!
thanks Smile still a work in progress but ..... really mulling this over Smile
(05-13-2012, 02:33 PM)mcleodfive Wrote: I think they are cool!! It all depends on the price. They are very neat display pieces, and I would buy one if they where $5-$10, but if they where $20 I don't think I would buy one. Lmk the price they would be, and if you can make a 22 (Doug Martin #)
depending on the detail and work involved prices would go from $5 to $???

the "1/1" stand takes me about 1 1/2 hours to make (minimum) so something like that would have to be more $$$

I haven't taken requests yet, a "22" is possible, but it would be a challenge to make Smile
(05-13-2012, 02:47 PM)p18mann Wrote: I too think it would really depend on how much you would charge.....
they are nice and I wouldn't mind one for those three cards in my sig either
thanks ..... I'm trying a # of player combinations etc. garage is full of "ideas" lol
(05-13-2012, 02:55 PM)jncdrew Wrote: I think there is a market for them and I dont think you are wasting your time at all. I think what you have to ask yourself is are you REALLY trying to make some change from it or are you content just doing a few here and there. Cause if you are serious about really making money you have to figure how much time and money goes into making one and how much you can get for one. They are VERY nice and I have thought of a couple ideas of some myself just by looking at yours. If you can make a bunch of them reasonably considering time and materials, I say do it. I wouldnt mind having a couple custom one myself. Smile
thanks bud Smile really just some spare change is all ..... I could CNC them and go into "mass production" but then that loses the personal touch imho, plus it's still kind of a hobby, so I'm not sure if I want it to be another "job" Sad
(05-13-2012, 03:21 PM)mik253 Wrote: There is a larger market for what you do my friend, even if you just hit the local card shows and what not. Word of mouth does wonders and you are more than welcome to use any of the photos I have for selling points..Big Grin
thanks bud Smile we do have a few local shows etc. would just have to build an inventory to get started .....

(05-13-2012, 03:23 PM)chibearsboy Wrote: i do think you can do well with those my friend...why you ask?..shipping. anything bigger like the cases my buddy makes would be too costly...you can offer them fair ship AND a quality item like those..
Winner bro.
Smile
thanks Smile I've made some "bookcase" style recently (holds about 6-8 cards) so they can still ship easily ..... guess I need to do some more research into all my costs etc.

really in the infancy stage right now, could use a few more tools to get quicker production etc. hmmmmmm ..... is Home Depot still open .....

They're really nice dude! I'm with everyone else, I like em and would like to have some too! I think you'd be able to make money doing it depending on your cost of material and what you sell them for.
Resident Joique Bell Hoarder!

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/monsterx

I say keep it a hobby. That doesn't mean you can't sell some for some fun $$$. A busines (even a small one) could take the fun out of it Smile