`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
how do you finance this hobby?

how do you finance this hobby?
So I continue to love to bust wax. I think I enjoy busting wax more than buying singles off the bay or marketplace. I don't do a ton, but enough that I'm spending $60 or so a month, and then easily another $50 in shipping charges with trades. I was warned by almost everyone when I got back in the hobby that it isn't cheap. $100/month isn't that big of a deal, but I just feel guilty as I know the wife isn't a big fan of this sort of spending.

So, how do you boys make this hobby more affordable? I know a lot of you seem to sell your stuff, but I'd be curious to know the details...For example, is it reasonable to sell cards to fund purchasing more wax (not talking big here....like $100/month), and to help take the edge off of shipping? Or is it unreasonable?

I fear I know the answer to this, but surely there are some creative souls that are making it work?

Ryan
[Image: mP9e9L.png]

RE: how do you finance this hobby?
I use ebay a lot. But not just for cards. I just sold an old ps2 game for $42. Basically, I just sweep my basement once a month for stuff I no longer need, then throw it up for auction and see what sells. I try really hard not to spend outside of my Paypal limit.
I also sell comics from time to time.
[Image: banner.png] [Image: wieters-1.png]
Collecting Orioles, Ravens, and Topps Baseball sets 57, (Finally finished 58!), 67, and 69 (need only 2!). Also, MLB HOF Autos.

I generally sell all the stuff I don't want from a box of cards and recoup ~75% of my costs. That way my 100$/mo becomes 25$/mo and is much more reasonable.

Willpower is about the only thing that keeps me from spending more than I already do. I've found it's helpful to have a few other hobbies or timekillers to go along with card collecting, so that way I'm not in a constant state of 'MUST GET CARDS.'

Also, I sell t-shirts that help give me a bit more cash so I don't feel as guilty those times when I do give into the impulse blaster or whatever.

Only Boxes i have been able to recoup 100% of my costs on were my Triple Threads boxes, and thats because i got lucky.

I have spent a stupid amount of money on wax, rather embarassing really.

Its all about self control, i only bust what i can afford to lose on, and try to focus on buying singles. Really i only bust wax to get Traid Bait because i enjoy it so much.
[Image: n0Ji6.png]

(03-06-2012, 11:24 AM)kinarism Wrote: I generally sell all the stuff I don't want from a box of cards and recoup ~75% of my costs. That way my 100$/mo becomes 25$/mo and is much more reasonable.
This is the same way I go about it. Works really well. Keeps the wife happy.
Buying the hotels for the cards also keeps her happy as far as organizing goes. Also buying bubble envelopes in bulk, but I guess that is common sense.

1,254 unique Chipper Jones
317 unique Javy Lopez

I'm just wondering, concerning self control...or lack thereof, if my best bet is to collect singles that I want for my PC... A few times a year I can spend a couple hundred and have zero guilt: bonus time (February), Birthday (May), Tax return (March-ish), Christmas (December).... I can probably due some pretty awesome damage to my PC if I spend $500 per year. I suppose I could alway put a bit of that money aside and when I just can't bare it, I have cash aside that I can go bust a couple boxes?

[Image: mP9e9L.png]

Being young, I don't spend to much. I try to invest in 2 to 3 dollar cards and wait for them to turn to 20. It really adds up. I have a Lin Contenders sell for 310, so that helped a lot. I have a Paypal account with my card money, and I don't send it anywhere else and I don't through work money or anything into it. Cards to cards baby!
Collecting Jimmer Fredette.

I haven't dabbled in the selling department as i only do trades for now. But yes its all about willpower and common sense really. II'll spend no more than 10 bucks a week if that on cards or other collectable stuff. Sometimes i skip a week. I only do one set a year and thats about all i can say.
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

(03-06-2012, 12:12 PM)muz0 Wrote: I haven't dabbled in the selling department as i only do trades for now. But yes its all about willpower and common sense really. II'll spend no more than 10 bucks a week if that on cards or other collectable stuff. Sometimes i skip a week. I only do one set a year and thats about all i can say.
I haven't dabbled in selling either, partly because I just plain don't want to deal with ebay.

Oct-Dec I busted alot of wax, mainly retail and kicking myself in the ***** for it now. This year I'll have some extra cash to put away and plan on buying at least 1 hobby box of each set I like (Lineage, finest, chrome). The main thing for me is I like to bust the wax and it provides great trade bait.

I've looked at buying from ebay but it just does not have any appeal to it even though I got my first PC 1/1 the other day.