`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blake Griffin...Dunk?

Blake Griffin...Dunk?
I know I will probably get shredded for this, but think about it. Was Griffin's "dunk" last night really a dunk? I'm not taking away from the fact it was an incredible play and Griffin is a freak of an athlete, but is it really a dunk when your fingers barely touch the rim? When he dunked on Mozgov, he didn't touch the rim at all. As I posted elsewhere in a trade thread, I would like to call it a "violent layup". Thoughts?

RE: Blake Griffin...Dunk?
Any time the ball gets thrown down like that, I would consider it a dunk. Pretty fun to watch, and yes, Griffin is a feak.

(01-31-2012, 09:05 AM)marquettewade3 Wrote: I know I will probably get shredded for this, but think about it. Was Griffin's "dunk" last night really a dunk? I'm not taking away from the fact it was an incredible play and Griffin is a freak of an athlete, but is it really a dunk when your fingers barely touch the rim? When he dunked on Mozgov, he didn't touch the rim at all. As I posted elsewhere in a trade thread, I would like to call it a "violent layup". Thoughts?

Playing devil's advocate here...so if Griffin were say, at the free throw line, and he jumps straight up, and like a volleyball spike threw it down while being 12 feet from the rim, that would still be a dunk?

From Oxford dictionary (forget that MerriamWebster bush lit):

dunk (dunk)
Pronunciation: /dʌŋk/verb
2 [no object] Basketball: score by shooting the ball down through the basket with the hands above the rim.

Hence, by definition it is not necessary to touch the rim. If you dunk a donut in your coffee you don't have to touch the cup either. Dunking as a verb is only immersing (downward motion) an object into something else.

Now to answer your question: no it was not a dunk. I know the announcers called it a Mozgov, but I think that refers more to the person on the 'receiving end'. No, it's called a Blake. And it might be one of the few nouns in the English language that can't go accompanied by adjectives or superlatives. It doesn't need to.

Last night he touched the rim! and it was extremely violent. even perkins thought it was a sick dunk
[Image: ewing_zps7sp6k1o0.png]

Don't go into Kendrick's room in about 2 months, you'll see that exact poster on his wall. See, I would hate to be posterised by someone much shorter than me, or something you should be able to block, but if someone threw down on me like that, I'll buy that poster. Smile
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

his hands touched rim, it's a dunk. deadspin has the photo evidence

dwight howard's superman dunk a couple years ago? not a dunk

Watched it live... Dunk, dunk, dunk!

Personally, I still think Vince Carter's dunk over the 7 footer in the Olympics was better. Sorry it's not in English but it's the best footage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q

SICK DUNK !!! DONE
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]