`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it familiarity and fear of change, or something else?

RE: Is it familiarity and fear of change, or something else?
(01-02-2012, 01:55 AM)tmakact7 Wrote: I think a lot of people don't like change (like when your favorite player on your favorite team gets traded away to another team). They're use to a certain way of doing things and certain products. It's tough when changes happens. I think a lot of people (not all) never really gave Panini a chance when they first jumped into the NBA market. Even if UD and/or Topps comes back into the NBA game, won't Panini still have a strangle hold on the NBA market with all of these contracts with Kobe, Durant, Wall, Griffin, Irving, etc?
Sure Panini may have a "strange hold on the NBA" but they can't control how insanely better Topps and Upper Deck design basketball cards. Refractors, xfractors, gold refractors. Exquisite, Bowman, Topps Chrome, Black, Chronology. My mouth is already watering...
Like Kanye to George W., Stern to basketball card collectors. David Stern does not care about basketball card collectors, there I said it.
Inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel Rise up on my spokes if ya like but dnt complain wen ya cast back down into the depths Good times pass away but then so do the bad Mutability is our tragedy but its also our hope The worst of times like the best are always passin away http://www.photobucket.com/vgqv

@ Dodgy, so if Upper Deck or Topps had sole license - or "monopoly" - on NBA cards, there'd be no complaining about a monopoly? I'm sorry, but it can't go both ways.

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

(01-02-2012, 04:14 PM)taffster74 Wrote: @ Dodgy, so if Upper Deck or Topps had sole license - or "monopoly" - on NBA cards, there'd be no complaining about a monopoly? I'm sorry, but it can't go both ways.
I have NO problem with Panini still being around for the people who prefer them, I will plain & simply not buy their products, I may still buy singles of Knicks but no more boxes. I'm not that close minded that I want Panini to go bankrupt and only have Topps/UD back. I'm for variety, I think will only help each company try to out do each other and what's so bad about that?
Inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel Rise up on my spokes if ya like but dnt complain wen ya cast back down into the depths Good times pass away but then so do the bad Mutability is our tragedy but its also our hope The worst of times like the best are always passin away http://www.photobucket.com/vgqv

(01-02-2012, 08:30 AM)kenarm79 Wrote: UD still have Jordan and LeBron, lol. Plus people still like UD and Topps designs.
Would that be enough to convince some collectors to buy UD over Panini (if UD was producing NBA)? Also, when do these player contracts expire for UD and Panini?
(01-02-2012, 02:41 PM)vgqv Wrote: Sure Panini may have a "strange hold on the NBA" but they can't control how insanely better Topps and Upper Deck design basketball cards. Refractors, xfractors, gold refractors. Exquisite, Bowman, Topps Chrome, Black, Chronology. My mouth is already watering...
lol, wouldn't Topps be a third wheel when it comes to the NBA, since they don't have any exclusive player contracts like UD and Panini?
[Image: Banner_zpsdfc1db81.jpg]
PC Team: San Antonio Spurs
PC Players: David Robinson & Tim Duncan

Player rights are not what topps was good at before anyway. The posts have been highlighting things like gold refractor rookie cards. Topps was the king of staple sets while UD had new and radical card designs. The Panini cards just feel more generic IMO.

My prediction will be that this "monopoly" contract won't be renewed. A LOT more money is being poured into the secodary market on older inserts. That is what Panini and the NBA will notice during this contract, the next one will include opions for more licensing coming back.

There have been other factors like the rush on product in the first year wasn't good for Panini and now this lockout has shorten the window to produce this year. They are trying to make us basketball guys accept the staple sets from the other sports. Only thier highest end product is a great seller. They have alot to learn to keep this up past this initial arrangement with the NBA.
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

(01-02-2012, 09:42 PM)tmakact7 Wrote: Would that be enough to convince some collectors to buy UD over Panini (if UD was producing NBA)? Also, when do these player contracts expire for UD and Panini?

lol, wouldn't Topps be a third wheel when it comes to the NBA, since they don't have any exclusive player contracts like UD and Panini?
You underestimate my love for a superior designed basketball card. Heck, even a rookie card. Panini don't even care about base rookie cards, they barely produce them and now we have to wait until the end of the season for any rookie cards?

(01-03-2012, 07:49 AM)vgqv Wrote: You underestimate my love for a superior designed basketball card. Heck, even a rookie card. Panini don't even care about base rookie cards, they barely produce them and now we have to wait until the end of the season for any rookie cards?
To my knowledge that is because there was no rookie photoshoot due to the lockout.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

(01-02-2012, 04:14 PM)taffster74 Wrote: @ Dodgy, so if Upper Deck or Topps had sole license - or "monopoly" - on NBA cards, there'd be no complaining about a monopoly? I'm sorry, but it can't go both ways.
Nope, I never said that any where in my post so not sure where you get that idea?

I would be happy with multiple companies producing NBA licensed cards and I think most people would. Saying that Upper Deck and Topps decided to not renew there licenses is just plain incorrect, so don't blame the card companies, blame the NBA.

If people truly want to do something about it they should contact the NBA and voice their concerns and opinions, as I have stated in multiple posts.

(01-02-2012, 04:55 PM)vgqv Wrote: I have NO problem with Panini still being around for the people who prefer them, I will plain & simply not buy their products, I may still buy singles of Knicks but no more boxes. I'm not that close minded that I want Panini to go bankrupt and only have Topps/UD back. I'm for variety, I think will only help each company try to out do each other and what's so bad about that?
+1
(01-02-2012, 09:42 PM)tmakact7 Wrote: Would that be enough to convince some collectors to buy UD over Panini (if UD was producing NBA)? Also, when do these player contracts expire for UD and Panini?

I don't know if it would convince collectors to buy UD over Panini, but I honestly think that collectors buy more UD products anyway (from the total sales- new or secondary market). UD and Topps still has a loyal fan base. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want any company to have a monopoly. I enjoy a competitive situation. If UD gets out of line I can buy Topps, lol.
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]