`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
This question has always puzzled me......

RE: This question has always puzzled me......
My true PC is Texas Rangers. I have all the current players in penny sleeves. When they leave or retire, the more common ones will get taken out of the penny sleeves and just placed back in alphabetical order. I have 1 of each in my primary box as there are no duplicates, but players are in alphabetical order.

The stars like Ryan, Pudge, Greer, Gonzo, Clark, etc., will always stay in penny sleeves. As will Kinsler, Young, Hamilton and possibly Cruz when they move on. My GUd and autos, patch-autos, etc., will always stay in a top loader, even after they retire.

I wouldn't have the collection of Rangers cards I have today if I jumped ship when a player left, retired, etc.

(08-03-2011, 10:39 AM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: My true PC is Texas Rangers. I have all the current players in penny sleeves. When they leave or retire, the more common ones will get taken out of the penny sleeves and just placed back in alphabetical order. I have 1 of each in my primary box as there are no duplicates, but players are in alphabetical order.

The stars like Ryan, Pudge, Greer, Gonzo, Clark, etc., will always stay in penny sleeves. As will Kinsler, Young, Hamilton and possibly Cruz when they move on. My GUd and autos, patch-autos, etc., will always stay in a top loader, even after they retire.

I wouldn't have the collection of Rangers cards I have today if I jumped ship when a player left, retired, etc.
Cool system!!! Sounds like a gr8 PC Smile

hmmmmm ..... great question Smile

I grew up in an era when players signed and retired with the same team Wink

As for what/who we collect, well we try to stick with players (on our fav teams) that have had some sort of legacy within the team (id. Barry Sanders, Billy Sims) and remember/appreciate them for their efforts Smile

We have really stepped back and looked at this in the past while, and have tailored our collecting around that principle.

While we still collect base RC's of all the new draftees etc. we don't focus on getting higher end cards till we see a) how they fit in after pre-season and b) what kind of legacy they will have with their team.

It may seem like I'm not a "true" team collector after reading this, but I really am ..... just focus on certain individuals vs. the whole team thing nowadays Smile

(08-03-2011, 11:45 AM)pbean Wrote: It may seem like I'm not a "true" team collector after reading this, but I really am ..... just focus on certain individuals vs. the whole team thing nowadays Smile
I don't think you're not a true team collector. I get what you're saying. After I got back into the hobby in 08 after a long break I was hot and heavy into collecting Steelers. Well I had to learn the hard way. I picked up every card of the new rookies and traded away some good cards to get them and although I love the cards it may not have been a smart move. I traded away some good HOFers for players that were duds. I now do like you do and try to get a few cards of the new guys but I have a few side player collections that I go after hard core. Smile

I grew up watching the niners, but once I started collecting, I stick to players... my only issue is when they leave a team, I follow them no matter where they go... does that make me a traitor to the team I rooted forwhen they played there? This is why I have decided to stick to VY Longhorns stuff... I will be a Horns fan till I die, and that way I stay true to my favorite player of all time...Smile I do kind of want to pick up some of his Eagles stuff when it comes out, but we will see...Smile
JAXON SHIPLEY SUPER COLLECTOR-PAYPAL ALWAYS AVAILABLE!!!Big Grin

i couldnt agree more with you ripkenfan. kinda irritating seeing someone dump loads and loads of money on a pc then to just act as if it is not worth the cardboard it is printed on because the player is no longer on the team. yes you can usually get them cheap like lump says but still all that effort for almost nothing. wish someone cough, cough (clemsoncowboy) would "dump" his david carr collection cheap.
PC Collections Josh Morgan, Tim Tebow, Brock Marion and Derek Anderson

I don't. I have cards of every bust and crud QB and RB to ever play for the Dolphins. I don't mind having them in my pc.
Collecting Dolphins, PSU Alumni(in college uni)
[Image: catch.gif]

Like my Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/PHsportscards?ref=tn_tnmn

I agree, I still like Randy Moss cards. He had a great few seasons with the Pats, and was one of my favorite players.
[Image: Avcnw.png]
Football- Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Brandon Bolden

Love the stories Smile Keep 'em comin.

I'd really like to hear why some people get rid of players when they leave your team. I really like to hear different opinions and stories.

not everyone is like that. Go look through my photobucket LOL. I think in the last 4 years I've traded or sold...maybe 4 cards out of my PC that weren't duplicates.
Bucket:
http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa47...radeables/

Resident Seahawk collector. Building 2010 Topps Chrome sets and 2010 Topps Magic.