`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
This question has always puzzled me......

This question has always puzzled me......
Ok I have seen this happen everywhere by many people. Every year players go to other teams or just retire without having the best career ever. My question is....

Why do team collectors automatically want to dump their cards when players leave?

I am a Steelers fan and have many people offer me loads of cards of a player(s) who left my team. Even Steelers fans do this. I just don't understand it. My Steelers collection has a variety of many types of players: rookies who bust (ie Limas Sweed), players I didn't like (Kordell Stewart, lol) and players who haven't played for a season or two (Willie Parker). I still love these cards due to they were a Steeler and did contribute to the Steelers success. Therefore, I will not just dump their cards. I am not busting on anyone, I would just like opinions on this.

RE: This question has always puzzled me......
I'm not sure but I tell ya this much I love it when people do that because they normally dump cards that I need and wouldn't move before.
[Image: 4E727BD9-orig.jpg]

Tyson Jackson
Total Cards - 469/638 - 74 %
Autos - 164/249 - 66 %
Mems - 221/280 - 79 %
RC - 38/38 - 100 %
1/1s - 21
Total Tyson Jackson Cards Including Dupes 641

It's called the "FAIR WEATHER SYNDROME FAN," COLLECTOR. that is the only way to explain it!

Are you saying my Longhorn was a bust?? Tongue

I've never understood it either. If you're a team fan, then you keep cards from everyone who has ever played in that jersey. Besides, you're not going to get a ton of money for them if they've just jumped ship to another team, it's not as though you're making a killer profit (99% of the time).

But as Lumpy said, they're usually cheaper pickups for the rest of us who have been wanting those cards!! (this is the reason I will patiently wait for Miami to dump Ricky--if it's not this year, it won't be 10 years from now...and all of those hidden gems will be mine!! LOL!)
I like cards serial numbered 34/xx
[Image: RD1.jpg]
Still working on 2009 Topps Magic Autos

i dont get it, i mean if ya kick players out of collection for jumping ship or retiring, the collection will not grow much especially in this era of, loyalty to team is based on who will pay the most. ya dont dump eric dickerson or joe montana because they switched teams...
BECKETT SUPER COLLECTOR MAY 2010. COLLECTING KURT WARNER & MARSHALL FAULK. also looking for: tom nutten, fred miller, any card. view my warner/faulk collection at: www.photobucket.com/collectrams

That's funny I was just thinking that last night. If that's the attitude then it seems like a colossal waste of money (even more than usual Tongue) to chase these young players when there's a better than average chance that they will be somewhere else (or even out of the league) in a few years. I won't spend a ton of money or trade good cards for the likes of Terence Murphy, Javon Walker, or Brian Brohm, but I'm not kicking them out of my Packers collection either. At the time the cards were made, they were Packers. Just recently I picked up a sweet 3-color Brian Brohm SPx patch for $2...

Anyway this is one reason why I heavily collect my alma mater - that team will never change no matter which pro jersey they wear. And if they bust out then their rare cards become cheap cheap cheap! (Isaiah Stanback, I'm talking to you!) Smile
[Image: UWashBanner2.jpg]
Banner by mattfastiggi
Collecting: Brett Favre (7,771 unique as of 6/1/2015), Packers, UW Huskies (Shaq Thompson, Shelton, Peters, Kikaha, Sankey, ASJ, Trufant, Locker, Brunell, Dillon, etc.)

I am enjoying these posts thanks guys and gals Smile

Well I can understand it even though I dont do that with my team. I still have a bunch of Glen Coffee and Nate Davis rc's, however I wouldn't hesitate to trade them for something else I like. Back when I was a kid my favorite player was Shaq and my favorite team was the Lakers. When Shaq left, I hated him but stayed true to the Lakers. Thats when I learned I was a bigger fan of the team rather than the player. My biggest fear in football is Frank Gore, Crabtree, Davis, or Willis going to a different team. It sucks to see your favorite players leave your favorite team so I could imagine dumping their cards since the whole reason I even have them is that they play for my favorite team.
[Image: nthnoak.jpg]

Looking for 49er Autos and Kobe Bryant.

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz216...r%20Trade/

(08-03-2011, 10:29 AM)uwash97 Wrote: That's funny I was just thinking that last night. If that's the attitude then it seems like a colossal waste of money (even more than usual Tongue) to chase these young players when there's a better than average chance that they will be somewhere else (or even out of the league) in a few years. I won't spend a ton of money or trade good cards for the likes of Terence Murphy, Javon Walker, or Brian Brohm, but I'm not kicking them out of my Packers collection either. At the time the cards were made, they were Packers. Just recently I picked up a sweet 3-color Brian Brohm SPx patch for $2...

Anyway this is one reason why I heavily collect my alma mater - that team will never change no matter which pro jersey they wear. And if they bust out then their rare cards become cheap cheap cheap! (Isaiah Stanback, I'm talking to you!) Smile
+1 to the Packers players comment. I won't go out of my way to get more cards of these guys unless I have a player PC of them as well or if I can get them cheap, but I'm not going to dump the ones that I have just because they aren't with the team anymore.
[Image: alanch-1.png]
-Banner Courtesy of rogue655-

Jim Leonhard Needs:
2005 Longevity Holofoil /25
2009 SPx Super Scripts Autographs Eight /8

Joel Effertz Needs:
2013 Bowman Draft Black Paper /1, Black Plate /1, Cyan Plate /1

(08-03-2011, 08:32 AM)ricky williams 34 Wrote: Are you saying my Longhorn was a bust?? Tongue
I hate to say it but yeah!!!! I had sooo many good expectations but I can say one good thing, he taught me not to chase hard after rookies, LOL!!! One good card if I like 'em and wait to see how they work out Smile

Go Longhorns Big Grin