`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2011 Bowman Platinum 5 case break and contest thread (Contests closed)

RE: 2011 Bowman Platinum 5 case break and contest thread (Contests closed)
(07-29-2011, 10:08 PM)pyweed Wrote: It just hit me that my Nunez auto relic is a bat. Dude has never had an MLB plate appearance. Does he even own a bat?
Porbably from the minors
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)

Case #4, Box #7

Emerald prospect refractors /599: Ronny Welty, Sammy Solis
Autos: Mike Foltynewicz, Tyler Skaggs
Auto relic /1166: Ozzie Martinez

Grade: F+
Comments: Skaggs saves the outright F.
(07-30-2011, 02:48 AM)bustin 5 knots Wrote: Porbably from the minors
I'd sell it to Topps too. It was only gathering dust!
(07-30-2011, 01:58 AM)daytonator Wrote: Makes complete sense, especially with ur precedent of good grades. I'm just getting back into baseball, what would you say is the best ROI to break from 2010 and 2011? 2010 Bowman Sterling?
It's a great question (maybe "the" question) and unfortunately, I wouldn't know. That judgment would require knowledge of: (1) the current market for the cards in those sets, and (2) the current price points for the wax in question. I don't keep up with either of those, as I'm just a collector, not an investor. My valuations are snapshots in time, so I can tell you values and prices only at the time I busted and bought.

As you'll see from my recent breaks, I was highest on 2010 Sterling, but the market may have changed, and the price points likely have also.

Looks like an up and down product so far, congrats on the Harper auto.

Just wondering, how many base Harpers do you think you're averaging per case?
[Image: Evil_Dead2.gif]

(07-31-2011, 12:27 PM)phoenixrising34 Wrote: Looks like an up and down product so far, congrats on the Harper auto.

Just wondering, how many base Harpers do you think you're averaging per case?
I've seen 3 or 4 now, so about 1 a case. I think on another message board I estimated there should be 1.2 per case, including xfractors.

Case #4, Box #8

Emerald prospect refractor /599: Delino DeShields
Blue prospect refractor /199: Jesus Montero
Autos: Kyle Parker, Brandon Guyer
Auto yellow printing plate /1: Tyler Skaggs
Auto relic /1166: John McDonald

Grade: C+
Comments: Hey, not bad! It required a fourth auto, but still – auto plates don’t show up too often. It’s also the new contest card, which makes case #4, box #7 the box to beat, and clarkzac the contest leader. Of course, another plate or superfractor would steal the contest from him.

(07-31-2011, 01:16 PM)pyweed Wrote: I've seen 3 or 4 now, so about 1 a case. I think on another message board I estimated there should be 1.2 per case, including xfractors.

Case #4, Box #7 46 104

Emerald prospect refractor /599: Delino DeShields
Blue prospect refractor /199: Jesus Montero
Autos: Kyle Parker, Brandon Guyer
Auto yellow printing plate /1: Tyler Skaggs
Auto relic /1166: John McDonald

Grade: C+
Comments: Hey, not bad! It required a fourth auto, but still – auto plates don’t show up too often. It’s also the new contest card, which makes case #4, box #7 the box to beat, and clarkzac the contest leader. Of course, another plate or superfractor would steal the contest from him.
You better not pull another plate or super, I'll be upset lol. I've always enjoyed watching your breaks, especially because I don't get to bust a bunch of boxes.

(07-31-2011, 01:16 PM)pyweed Wrote: I've seen 3 or 4 now, so about 1 a case. I think on another message board I estimated there should be 1.2 per case, including xfractors.

That's about what I was thinking based on the number of Propects in the set and only getting 1 per pack.

Looks like some big lots of the Base Parallels are selling pretty well, so that should up the value of your entire break fairly well. I'd imagine you'll come pretty close to a complete Gold set won't you?

Oh and I want to see a scan of the Harper Red Ref Auto when you pull it! LOL

Case #4, Box #9

Emerald prospect refractor /599: Matt Lipka
Blue prospect refractor /199: Allen Webster
Auto: Delino DeShields
Emerald auto /399: Leon Landry
USA auto redemption
Auto relic /1166: Max Ramirez

Grade: C
Comments: Okay, three of the last four boxes have been in the C range, thanks to the USA redemptions and a bonus plate auto. I’ll take it. Still would like a Harper in this case.

(07-31-2011, 01:39 PM)phoenixrising34 Wrote: That's about what I was thinking based on the number of Propects in the set and only getting 1 per pack.

Looks like some big lots of the Base Parallels are selling pretty well, so that should up the value of your entire break fairly well. I'd imagine you'll come pretty close to a complete Gold set won't you?
Good question. I've been doing a combined sorting of gold, emerald, ruby, and I know I don't have a full set yet because I haven't seen a colored Adam Jones. But I'll definitely be really close, and I'll be very close to a full set of prospect xfractors as well (still looking for a Singleton there). Gives me something to root for aside from the auto hits.

I've been doing some thinking about how best to sell the excess parallels. I've never sold "rainbow" lots, but it might be a decent way to go: one gold, one emerald, one base -- something like that. Do you have any experience along those lines?

Yeah I forgot about the X-Fractors, should be pretty close on those too like you said.

As for selling Rainbow sets, I've done a fair amount of that as well as selling lots of Parallels. It all really depends on how much time you want to put into it. You can sell some of the bigger names as Rainbow sets and do well with them in 1-3 day auctions it seems, and then sell the lesser guys in a big lot of each color. Of course, if you don't want to take the time to make small player lots, having the big names in your Color Lots will up the money you'll see of the big Color Lots. If you go the Color Lot route, just make sure you do a lot for each color as that's the way you'll get your best money for them since some people will be doing just the Gold and others will go after the Ruby set.

Hopefully all that makes some sense, LOL.

Case #4, Box #10

Emerald prospect refractors /599: Domingo Santana, Brody Colvin
Autos: Garrett Richards, Michael Choice
Auto relic /1166: Leo Nunez

Grade: F
Comments: Go Verlander!
(07-31-2011, 01:52 PM)phoenixrising34 Wrote: Yeah I forgot about the X-Fractors, should be pretty close on those too like you said.

As for selling Rainbow sets, I've done a fair amount of that as well as selling lots of Parallels. It all really depends on how much time you want to put into it. You can sell some of the bigger names as Rainbow sets and do well with them in 1-3 day auctions it seems, and then sell the lesser guys in a big lot of each color. Of course, if you don't want to take the time to make small player lots, having the big names in your Color Lots will up the money you'll see of the big Color Lots. If you go the Color Lot route, just make sure you do a lot for each color as that's the way you'll get your best money for them since some people will be doing just the Gold and others will go after the Ruby set.

Hopefully all that makes some sense, LOL.
Makes perfect sense, thanks. I usually do large lots of a single type. I'll have to do some completed auction searches before I sell.

(07-31-2011, 01:30 PM)clarkzac Wrote: You better not pull another plate or super, I'll be upset lol. I've always enjoyed watching your breaks, especially because I don't get to bust a bunch of boxes.
I'm afraid you're going to be upset anyway. I misnumbered my boxes in this thread. As you'll see, I had already posted a Box #7, and then I listed the next one (with the plate) as Box #7 as well. So the plate actually came in box #8. Two contestants picked that box, and so they are the ones in the contest lead. I'm really sorry about that. I only caught it just now because I have two boxes left to bust in this case and I was only through 9 boxes in this thread. I've made the appropriate edits now.

Nathan
Case #4, Box #11

Emerald prospect refractor /599: Matt Harvey
Blue prospect refractor /199: Kyle Seager
Auto: Brad Holt
Emerald auto /399: Dickie Joe Thon
Auto relic redemption: Brett Cecil

Grade: D-
Comments: Again, sorry clarkzac. Maybe I’ll get another plate or a super to make it all moot.

(07-31-2011, 01:57 PM)pyweed Wrote: Case #4, Box #10

Emerald prospect refractors /599: Domingo Santana, Brody Colvin
Autos: Garrett Richards, Michael Choice
Auto relic /1166: Leo Nunez

Grade: F
Comments: Go Verlander!

Makes perfect sense, thanks. I usually do large lots of a single type. I'll have to do some completed auction searches before I sell.

I'm afraid you're going to be upset anyway. I misnumbered my boxes in this thread. As you'll see, I had already posted a Box #7, and then I listed the next one (with the plate) as Box #7 as well. So the plate actually came in box #8. Two contestants picked that box, and so they are the ones in the contest lead. I'm really sorry about that. I only caught it just now because I have two boxes left to bust in this case and I was only through 9 boxes in this thread. I've made the appropriate edits now.

Nathan
Case #4, Box #11

Emerald prospect refractor /599: Matt Harvey
Blue prospect refractor /199: Kyle Seager
Auto: Brad Holt
Emerald auto /399: Dickie Joe Thon
Auto relic redemption: Brett Cecil

Grade: D-
Comments: Again, sorry clarkzac. Maybe I’ll get another plate or a super to make it all moot.
Crap lol. Oh well, it was fun to be in the lead for a short time Smile