`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underrated card designs

Underrated card designs
I think we all occasionally get caught up in chasing rare, serial-numbered cards sometimes at the expense of better looking (but more mass-produced) cards.

This got me thinking... which cards are underrated? i.e. Which cards are amazing looking but can be had for a great price due to their relatively high print run?

Personally, I think that the 1998-99 Topps Gold Label cards fit the bill. I picked up the following cards for just a dollar or two each.

[Image: IMG_5997.jpg]

[Image: IMG_6009.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5999.jpg]

[Image: IMG_6003.jpg]

My second nomination goes to 2000-01 SP Authentic Supremacy inserts, which can be had for about $1 each. The band of rainbow across a simple white background reminds me a bit of the 2009-10 Exquisite Nameplates (but for about a thousandth of the price).

[Image: IMG_6034.jpg]

[Image: IMG_6047.jpg]

[Image: IMG_6036.jpg]

[Image: IMG_6045.jpg]

RE: Underrated card designs
Ya I like them both for design. Would I buy them. No. There are a lot of cards I am saving for. Why are they underrated though?

The whole idea of cards is you want to collect the rare ones. Otherwise I would be rich. I have probably
10,000 base cards.
 photo 7dbbff6f-c806-4600-9a7a-188e4785bb3a.jpg

(07-02-2011, 12:08 PM)evanturner12 Wrote: Ya I like them both for design. Would I buy them. No. There are a lot of cards I am saving for. Why are they underrated though?

The whole idea of cards is you want to collect the rare ones. Otherwise I would be rich. I have probably
10,000 base cards.
I collect rare cards too.

However, sometimes, when you spend $100+ on a card, the guilt can sometimes override the satisfaction that you gain.

Therefore, it's nice to occasionally buy cheap - yet equally beautiful - cards.

The reason the cards I posted are 'underrated' is because they can be had for a dollar or two each and yet, in my opinion, they are extremely nice looking cards. Oh and by the way, the cards I posted aren't base cards.

The most I ever spent was $20 for a printing plate.

And I already regret that one. I don't go after popular players.

I go after middle tier players like tony parker, david west, chris bosh, etc. That way I can get a nice patch card for $7-$15.

If you want a kobe or lebron patch card you gotta pay at least 10 times that for the same card.

(07-02-2011, 12:15 PM)will23c1982 Wrote: I collect rare cards too.

However, sometimes, when you spend $100+ on a card, the guilt can sometimes override the satisfaction that you gain.

Therefore, it's nice to occasionally buy cheap - yet equally beautiful - cards.

The reason the cards I posted are 'underrated' is because they can be had for a dollar or two each and yet, in my opinion, they are extremely nice looking cards. Oh and by the way, the cards I posted aren't base cards.
 photo 7dbbff6f-c806-4600-9a7a-188e4785bb3a.jpg

These are some of my fav...

[Image: DSC02495.jpg]

[Image: DSC02499.jpg]

[Image: DSC02594.jpg]

2002/03 SPx. I like the horizontal style and black and white background for some reason. Maybe it's because they look nice when signed, provided you get them rubbed down properly.

(07-02-2011, 10:49 PM)pacrimcollectibles Wrote: 2002/03 SPx. I like the horizontal style and black and white background for some reason. Maybe it's because they look nice when signed, provided you get them rubbed down properly.
I was wondering how is the proper way to rub them down? I got a Topps Mcdonalds all american card for Kemba Walker I plan on getting signed but I know its too glossy for it to stick. Some advise would be great!
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

(07-03-2011, 09:47 AM)quavis Wrote: I was wondering how is the proper way to rub them down? I got a Topps Mcdonalds all american card for Kemba Walker I plan on getting signed but I know its too glossy for it to stick. Some advise would be great!
You can use baby powder. Rub a little across the surface with your finger until it starts feeling a little gritty and then wipe it off with a cloth. For some reason unknown to me the powder takes care of the glossy finish of most cards and allows the surface to hold ink without beading.

I usually rub my cards down with a fleece material if I don't have powder handy. The card is ready when the card gets warm from the friction. Denim also works in a pinch.

A lot of people use an eraser but I personally don't like removing part of my card, essentially ruining it if it doesn't get signed.

Some pens also work without the card needing to be prepared but I don't entirely trust them. I've seen some bad things happen with these pens.

1995-96 SP. Beautiful cards. The base Jordan books for a miniscule amount and it is my favorite Jordan of the nearly 300 I have. I will post a scan when I get the time!

And I don't know if these are "underrated" because EVERYBODY loved them, but 94-95 Skybox Emotion. Great card quality, great pictures too. The inserts were a bit flashy but still nice. The base cards were just awesome though!

69-70 topps, bring back the tall cards!
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]