IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1977 Topps Mexican New York Jets

1977 Topps Mexican New York Jets
I have included this link
http://www.toppsmexican.com/

about this set and the "dirty dozen", one of them is the former Jets CB Rich Sowells a 1971 Jets 12th rd pick who played for the Jets between 1971 & 1976. Topps gave him a 1977 card, it's an RC in the U.S. and Mexican sets.

Today has been a great day, I have only wanted 1 card to complete my 1977 Topps Mexican set, today #488 Rich Sowells arrived.

This week on ebay, a BuyItNow appeared with the Sowells and 4 other Mexican Jets cards, the auction was there for 2 hours before I saw it, and closed with 2 mins when I realised what was available. It has taken me 7 years to bring these 18 cards together.

The 1977 Topps Mexican set is a hard set to put together, also for a Jets collector, it is also a hard teamset to put together due to the "dirty dozen" card #488 Rich Sowells, a probable corner card from the printed uncut sheet. The "dirty dozen" refer to the 12 hardest cards to get, they are probably border or corner cards, the link talks of those cards being damaged or poorly printed and being destroyed before collation which created a rarity for those particular cards.

The 528 Topps Mexican cards use identical pictures to the 528 Topps U.S. release but the text is in Spanish. Needless to say this one year experiment flopped as the cards sold poorly, the wrong sport to push in Mexico.

The link above talks of collation errors, the cards were in 2 or 4 card packs, the folded waxed paper wrapper frequently damaged the last card in the pack with wax stains on the back of that card. The 2 card pack had a flavored piece of gum which commonly stained the top card. Effectively both cards were ruined in a 2 card pack if they were not opened promptly after collating.

Below is my 1977 Topps Mexican New York Jets teamset, complete with the team checklist. Some of in better condition than others, the Sowells is in the worst condition, it is not known how many of this card survived but if one can be bought, buy now, try to upgrade later.

Enjoy

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets

[Image: 1977JetsMexican1.jpg]
[Image: 1977JetsMexican2.jpg]

RE: 1977 Topps Mexican New York Jets
Congrats on completing the set!
Currently trying to build 2010 Gridiron Kings
I collect Steve Young, Manny Lawson, Roger Craig and most things Niners.

that is so cool and the story too.. 7 years to complete a rare set congrats man!

Man, cards were sooooo much more fun when a team could have 17 players show up in a set.
I think I've finally lost interest.

Droooool
Insert Banner.

(06-18-2011, 09:52 PM)younglover Wrote: Congrats on completing the set!
Thanks, it was exciting to suddenly be able to complete it
(06-18-2011, 09:56 PM)jfrench91 Wrote: that is so cool and the story too.. 7 years to complete a rare set congrats man!
Yes, 7 years, I would check occasionally, there is a small fan base of this set, when you go to the PSA card website you can see the people who have completed or working on completing the set, it will have cost thousands when it is a PSA8 set, there are literally one or two of those. My elusive card #488 Rich Sowells, I think there are two PSA 8's, nothing better. It seems all the boxes and packs have been opened, new cards have to now be found in Mexico to swell the population. I don't know if 35 years later a lot of product in excellent or better condition could suddenly appear.
(06-18-2011, 10:14 PM)the ultraback Wrote: Man, cards were sooooo much more fun when a team could have 17 players show up in a set.
Agreed, I miss the era, when team sets were 10+ cards. Topps and Score are as close as it gets, the market dictates that there be 3-4 rookies in a 10 card teamset. The days of veteran O linemen or D linemen, veteran linebackers or veteran safeties who are non pro bowlers getting cards, sadly a bygone era.

I wish there was a way to expand card set sizes, for just one product per company per year, a larger Score, or a series II to give bigger teamsets. I'm not holding my breath.
(06-19-2011, 12:33 AM)itsdagooch Wrote: Droooool
Too funny, LOL

Neato.
Love to see your posts on the status of your team set quests Joe.
[Image: 1c4478fb-d731-4d9f-ba14-899045a13077_zps5489e52d.jpg]

(06-19-2011, 02:04 AM)mrgonzodad Wrote: Neato.
Love to see your posts on the status of your team set quests Joe.
Thanks Hardy, I never thought I'd complete it, this card has the worst condition of any card I own but getting any Rich Sowells was all that mattered. Good Luck with your Ohio State collection.