`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Hall of Fame Discussion..Everyone is welcome!

RE: Hall of Fame Discussion..Everyone is welcome!
Here's my opinion of who should be in according to last years ballots.
From the Veterans Committee: George Steinbrenner (Duh), Marvin Miller (read about him), and Ted Simmons (anyone remember him?).
And from the Writers Ballot: Jack Morris, Jeff Bagwell, Edgar Martinez, Larry Walker, and Dale Murphy.
Even though next year's VC ballot hasn't been unveiled yet, I believe Ron Santo will be on it and that he should get in.
I collect 1977-Present Baseball of any team, especially the Braves (NL) and the Red Sox (AL). Considering an expansion into vintage. I am slowly adding cards and wants to my org.

(06-17-2011, 10:07 AM)sastahl Wrote: Im surprised Charlie Hustle's name hasn't been thrown in there yet.
He has been mentioned several times.

(06-17-2011, 10:02 AM)_ZENAS_ Wrote: Dang all that typing about how Jeff Kent is on par with other Hall of Famers and he still get on your "NOT FUTURE HALL OF FAMERS" list of people discussed in this thread.

Wink
ya can't win em all! Tongue
[Image: mdavison.jpg]
[Image: PCcards001.jpg]

I'd love to Rose get in considering some of the other "cheaters" on this list...Unfortunatley, I think that wont happen until he's dead!
But until he's in, the HOF loses credibility IMO and if asked, all those other names would prob agree he deserves to be enshrined!
50 years from now, comparing the "gambler" to the "steroid abusers". people will ask..."Who really did more harm to the game ?"...
I say enshrine just two this year, Rose and Maris...They deserve to have the spotlight all to themselves!
Then you can talk all you want about anyone else!
Including Jeff Kent.. :p

I'll just stick with guys who are retired

HOFers within 5 years of Eligibility:
Craig Biggio - position based plus 3000 hits = HOF
Tom Glavine - 300 wins
Ken Griffey Jr - No brainer
Randy Johnson - 2nd All-Time in Ks and over 300 wins
Greg Maddux - 350+ wins alone is enough
Pedro Martinez - Sub 3 ERA and very, very dominant in his prime...only 100 losses and over 3,000Ks
Mike Piazza - mostly position based due to the power from the catcher's position
John Smoltz - see Dennis Eckersley
Frank Thomas - more impressive than his HRs was his OBP, that alone gets him in

HOFers that will eventually get in, but not within 5 years of eligibility:
Jeff Bagwell - All around great hitter, Frank Thomas is he would have played longer
Barry Bonds - steroids yes, but he just had way too many numbers to overlook, only 500/500 man in the game means a whole lot...they will make him sweat it out, but will make it
Roger Clemens - same story as Bonds basically, just too many impressive numbers
Barry Larkin - solid all around player and playing entire career with 1 team does mean a lot to HOF voters
Mike Mussina - 270 wins is enough

Sorry, won't make it:
500HRs, not going to make it
Jeff Kent - 2B with power, but that was it, not 1 GG
Jack Morris - had a long career, but not that dominant
Mark McGwire (Steroids)
Rafael Palmeiro (Steroids)
Curt Schilling - had a long career but only managed 217 wins with 3.46 ERA, D. Wells had more wins
Gary Sheffield (Steroids)
Sammy Sosa (Steroids)
Bernie Williams - sorry, but an OF that didn't hit 300 HRs or have a .300BA won't make it

Completing the following:

2010 Topps Chrome X-Fractors (142/220 - 64.5%)
2010 Bowman Platinum Refractors (60/100 - 60%)
2011 Topps Diamond (444/660 - 67.3%)

Finished 2011 Sets: Topps Series 1 Master, Heritage Master, Heritage Chrome, Gypsy Queen Framed Green, Gypsy Queen Minis, Heritage Black

(06-17-2011, 01:48 AM)evolb909 Wrote: Retired Future HoFers:

Barry Larkin
Ken Griffey Jr.
Frank Thomas
Mike Mussina
Jeff Kent
Greg Maddux
Randy Johnson
Tom Glavine
Craig Biggio
Mike Piazza

Current Future HoFers:
Albert Pujols
Ichiro
Omar Vizquel
Edgar Renteria
Roy Halladay
CC Sabathia
Jim Thome
Derek Jeter
Mariano Rivera
Vlad Guerrero

Should be:

Jack Morris
Alan Trammell
Steve Garvey
Fred McGriff
I completely agree with Jack Morris... He was dominate.. Just like Pedro. Let in Maris, and Joe jackson... lifetime bann, he is dead.. let one of the greatest hitters in.

(06-17-2011, 11:28 AM)griffan15 Wrote: I'll just stick with guys who are retired

HOFers within 5 years of Eligibility:
Craig Biggio - position based plus 3000 hits = HOF
Tom Glavine - 300 wins
Ken Griffey Jr - No brainer
Randy Johnson - 2nd All-Time in Ks and over 300 wins
Greg Maddux - 350+ wins alone is enough
Pedro Martinez - Sub 3 ERA and very, very dominant in his prime...only 100 losses and over 3,000Ks
Mike Piazza - mostly position based due to the power from the catcher's position
John Smoltz - see Dennis Eckersley
Frank Thomas - more impressive than his HRs was his OBP, that alone gets him in

HOFers that will eventually get in, but not within 5 years of eligibility:
Jeff Bagwell - All around great hitter, Frank Thomas is he would have played longer
Barry Bonds - steroids yes, but he just had way too many numbers to overlook, only 500/500 man in the game means a whole lot...they will make him sweat it out, but will make it
Roger Clemens - same story as Bonds basically, just too many impressive numbers
Barry Larkin - solid all around player and playing entire career with 1 team does mean a lot to HOF voters
Mike Mussina - 270 wins is enough

Sorry, won't make it:
500HRs, not going to make it
Jeff Kent - 2B with power, but that was it, not 1 GG
Jack Morris - had a long career, but not that dominant
Mark McGwire (Steroids)
Rafael Palmeiro (Steroids)
Curt Schilling - had a long career but only managed 217 wins with 3.46 ERA, D. Wells had more wins
Gary Sheffield (Steroids)
Sammy Sosa (Steroids)
Bernie Williams - sorry, but an OF that didn't hit 300 HRs or have a .300BA won't make it
You can't say Bonds and Clemens are in and then say McGwire (and others) are out due to steroids. Either all of the players that illegally used steroids are out, or all of them have the possiblility to get in. Take steroids out of the equation and McGwire is in IMO.
[Image: mdavison.jpg]
[Image: PCcards001.jpg]

(06-17-2011, 10:27 AM)_ZENAS_ Wrote: He has been mentioned several times.
Yeah, several times too many!!
What is wrong with everybody??
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(06-17-2011, 11:50 AM)mdavison Wrote: You can't say Bonds and Clemens are in and then say McGwire (and others) are out due to steroids. Either all of the players that illegally used steroids are out, or all of them have the possiblility to get in. Take steroids out of the equation and McGwire is in IMO.
If you measure the steroid users vs the steroid users, then yes, Bonds, Clemens and A-Rod will be in based on numbers.

Bonds, Clemens, Arod without the steroids would probably still be in consideration with numbers close to Frank Thomas/Tom Glavine.

McGwire/Sosa/Palmeiro without the steroids and we're talking Carlos Delgado territory.

Sheffield without steroids and you're in Dale Murphy territory and so on.
Completing the following:

2010 Topps Chrome X-Fractors (142/220 - 64.5%)
2010 Bowman Platinum Refractors (60/100 - 60%)
2011 Topps Diamond (444/660 - 67.3%)

Finished 2011 Sets: Topps Series 1 Master, Heritage Master, Heritage Chrome, Gypsy Queen Framed Green, Gypsy Queen Minis, Heritage Black

wow can we all agree that edgar renteria was a ridiculous proposition. has the guy ever been in teh top 20 players in teh game??? some of you are too hard some of you are too soft. btw...to even debate kent getting in is ridiculous. maybe the top hitting 2b of all time
Looking for jose reyes in a Mets uniform
REYES CARD COUNT-366

"the other sports are just sports, baseball is a love"

[Image: 6I7b5.png]

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"