Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: My 2000 New York Jets collection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
A few collectors have written that they would like to see my 2000 New York Jets collection.
The 1999 Jets were supposed to make a run for the playoffs but lost Vinny Testaverde for the season on opening day, slid to a 1-6 start before rallying to finish 8-8.
It was clear the Jets needed to add pass rushers in the 2000 draft.
Bill Parcells resigned after the season, to make way for Bill Belichick. He resigned one day later as H.C. of the N.Y.J before becoming the Pats Head Coach. The result was the Jets were awarded the Pat 2000 1st rd pick.
Al Groh took over, and then Keyshawn Johnson pushed for a new contract or trade. So the Jets traded him for 2 1st rd picks to Tampa Bay.
The Jets had 4 1st rd picks, the only time in NFL history this has happened. They traded away a #2 pick to move from 16th overall up to #12.
He are the picks, all these players received RC's
1a (#12.) DE Shaun Ellis Very productive player, voted to 2009 Pro Bowl, multiple Pro Bowls
1b (#13.) LB John Abraham Pro Bowl player with the Jets, traded in 2006 to Atlanta for 1st rd pick. Jets pick was 2 time Pro Bowl C Nick Mangold
1c (#18.) QB Chad Pennington When healthy, very accurate passer, suffered multiple shoulder injuries before being released in 2008 when Brett Favre was signed
1d (#27.) TE Anthony Becht Good blocking TE who left after 2004
3rd rd....WR Laveranues Coles Like a 5th 1st rd pick, very productive for Jets and Redskins
5th rd....WR Windrell Hayes....Has RC's, Jets for 2000 & 2001
6th rd.....CB Tony Scott...........2 RC's, Jet in 2000
FA.........QB Jim Kubiak..........Allocated to NFL Europe
FA.........TE Jermaine Wiggins..FA who played in 2000 before going to Pats and Vikings, 1RC Leaf Limited
FA..........RB Vaughn Sanders. Played in preseason, never played in regular season

2000 also saw the last year of Collector's Edge.
A lot of Pennington, Coles and Becht RC's were taken at the Rookie photo shoot at the old Orange Bowl. Every set has Pennington & Coles, then Becht. Hayes being a WR and a Southern Cal player got some cards as a 6th rd pick.
With two 1st rd defensive players, the card companies would produce an Ellis without an Abraham, or Abraham without Ellis, occasionally both. Quantum Leaf was different, included both of them and no Becht.

My scans are mostly RC's, with inserts and parallels, a few base cards where it fitted into one scan. In 2000 there was a lot less memorabilia cards, they were inserts, less common and very expensive, autos were also expensive.

I would buy sets that had the top 5 draft picks, if I could afford them, Pennington cards were hugely expensive for the time, the SPx was $200. I picked up about 1/3 of these cards in 2000, I expanded it in 2002 to collect all base sets before Pennington started for the Jets, the SPx cards were $60-65. IN 2004 I picked up all the inserts. I then worked on the Topps Pro Bowl memorabilia around 2005, since then I pick up Pennington and Coles autos as well as 2001 Santana Moss & Lamont Jordan autos, 2004 Jonathan Vilma and Jerricho Cotchery autos, 2006 D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Kellen Clemens, Leon Washington & Brad Smith autos, 2007 Darrelle Revis, David Harris & Chansi Stuckey autos and 2009 Mark Sanchez & Shonn Greene autos. To expensive to buy all at once so I have to pick and choose and build my Jets collection gradually.

Enjoy

Bowman, RC's unnumbered
[Image: 2000JetsBowman.jpg]

Bowman Chrome, RC's unnumbered except for Pennington #ed to 499
[Image: 2000JetsBowmanChrome.jpg]

Bowman Reserve, only in football for 1 year, cool Pro Bowl jersey cards the Jets sent 3 players to the Pro Bowl, P Tom Tupa, C Kevin Mawae and WR Keyshawn Johnson. Johnson was traded in April so never played again for the Jets. Some 2000 Pro Bowl cards have him as a Jet, some as a Buccaneer.
Pennington #ed to 999, I think the Curtis Martin is an unrecognized UER, the picture looks like FB Richie Anderson, it looks like #20 and Anderson preferred carrying the ball in his left hand.
[Image: 2000JetsBowmanReserve1.jpg]

Bowman's Best, RC's #ed to 1499
[Image: 2000JetsBowmansBest.jpg]

Bowman's Best Acetate parallel, all cards #ed to 250, took 3+ years to find all of these cards
[Image: 2000JetsBowmansBestAcetate.jpg]

Collector's Edge EG
[Image: 2000JetsCollEdgeEG.jpg]
Collector's Edge Gems Previews followed by Gems followed by Making the Grade
[Image: 2000JetsCollEdgeEG2.jpg]

Collector's Edge Masters, Hobby on Hologram board RC's #ed to 1000 followed by Retail unnumbered RC's
[Image: 2000JetsCollEdgeMasters.jpg]
[Image: 2000JetsCollEdgeMasters2.jpg]
[Image: 2000JetsCollEdgeMasters3.jpg]

Collector's Edge Odyssey, Hobby on Hologram board RC's #ed to 999 followed by Retail unnumbered RC's
[Image: 2000JetsCollEdgeOdyssey.jpg]
Collector's Edge Supreme, Pennington in Marshall University RC's #ed to 2000 followed by Update, tthe non hologoil are unnumbered, the holofoil which are found sometimes in slabs are #ed to 2000
[Image: 2000JetsCollEdgeSupreme.jpg]

Collector's Edge T3 Hobby printed on foil, RC's #ed to 999
[Image: 2000JetsCollEdgeT3Hobby.jpg]
Collector's Edge T3 Retail printed on non foil, RC's unnumbered
[Image: 2000JetsCollEdgeRetail.jpg]
[Image: 2000JetsCollEdgeT3Inserts.jpg]
Collector's Edge Autos, in different products
Pennington, in Red Ink #ed 4 to 10, holofoil with gold foil #ed to 510, non holo with silver foil #ed to 470
Coles, holofoil with gold foil #ed to 40 & 475, non holo with silver foil #ed to 1400
[Image: 2000JetsCollEdgeAutos1.jpg]

Donruss, RC's #ed to 1325
[Image: 2000JetsDonruss.jpg]

Donruss Elite, RC's #ed to 2000
[Image: 2000JetsDonrussElite.jpg]
eX, RC's #ed to 1500
[Image: 2000JetseX.jpg]

Finest, veterans unnumbered, rookies #ed to 2400, inherit fire with Peyton Manning unnumbered
[Image: 2000JetsFinest.jpg]
Finest Gold Refractor, veterans #ed to 300, rookies #ed to 200, inherit fire with Peyton Manning #ed to 100
[Image: 2000JetsFinestGold.jpg]

Finest Pro Bowl, got each card for $4 at a show, great value
[Image: 2000JetsFinestProBowl.jpg]

Fleer Tradition, Hobby Pennington & Coles/Becht unnumbered, followed by Fleer Tradition Glossy, Pennington & Coles/Becht unnumbered, Coles & Hayes #ed to 750
[Image: 2000JetsFleer.jpg]
Fleer autos, spread across different Fleer products
[Image: 2000JetsFleerAutos.jpg]
Fleer Focus, Coles #ed to 1999, Pennington #ed to 2999, Becht & Ellis #ed to 3999
Fleer Gamers, RC's unnumbered
[Image: 2000JetsFleerFocusGamers.jpg]
Fleer Showcase, Pennington, Coles & Becht #ed to 1000, Ellis & Abraham #ed to 2000
[Image: 2000JetsFleerShowcase.jpg]
Fleer Showcase Rookies First, parallel of the RC's, #ed to 250, headshot larger than action shot, an opposite of the base card
[Image: 2000JetsFleerShowcaseRookieFirsts.jpg]

Leaf Certified, Pennington & Coles #ed to 1000, Becht #ed to 1500, Ellis & Abraham #ed to 2000
[Image: 2000JetsLeafCertified.jpg]

Leaf Limited, the first & best year ever for this product, gave only RC's to several players including Jermaine Wiggins. First row Scott, Hayes & Wiggins #ed to 500, Second row Becht, Pennington & Abraham #ed to 350, Third row Ellis #ed to 350 & Coles with Swatch #ed to 250
[Image: 2000JetsLeafLimited.jpg]

Leaf Rookies & Stars, RC's #ed to 1000
[Image: 2000JetsLeafRookiesStars.jpg]
Leaf Rookies & Stars, the first 200 cards were signed, followed by XRC for Santana Moss and Lamont Jordan with redemption card
[Image: 2000JetsLeafRookiesStars2.jpg]
Metal, base RC and Emerald parallel all unnumbered
[Image: 2000JetsMetal.jpg]
[Image: 2000JetsMetal2.jpg]

Pacific, Pennington RC unnumbered, Pennington auto, only 150 made, not numbered but with official Pacific seal and different silver foil on top left corner
[Image: 2000JetsPacific1-1.jpg]
Pacific Aurora, RC's unnumbered
[Image: 2000JetsPacificAurora.jpg]
Pacific Crown Royale, RC's unnumbered
[Image: 2000JetsPacificCrownRoyale.jpg]
Pacific Omega, RC's #ed to 500
[Image: 2000JetsPacificOmega.jpg]

Pacific Paramount, RC's unnumbered
[Image: 2000JetsPacificParamount.jpg]

Pacific Prism, RC's #ed to 1000, dial a Stats
[Image: 2000JetsPacificPrism.jpg]
Pacific Private Stock (Hobby Gold Foil RC's #ed to 278 ), (Retail Silver Foil RC's to 650), and the Private Signings autos of Chad Pennington and Laveranues Coles
[Image: 2000JetsPacificPrivateStock1.jpg]
Pacific Private Stock, Private Stock Reserve & Artist's Canvas followed by PS2000, PS 2000 Stars finally PS2000 Action
[Image: 2000JetsPacificPrivateStock2.jpg]
Pacific Revolution, RC's #ed to 300, Making the grade and First Look
[Image: 2000JetsPacificRevolution.jpg]
Pacific Vanguard, RC's #ed to 762
[Image: 2000JetsPacificVanguard.jpg]

Playoff Absolute RC's #ed to 2500
[Image: 2000JetsPlayoffAbsolute.jpg]
Playoff Absolute Tag Team Tandems and Tag Team Quads, have two of each to be able to see all the players in the same pocket sleeves at the same time.
[Image: 2000JetsPlayoffAbsolute2.jpg]
[Image: 2000JetsPlayoffAbsolute3.jpg]

Playoff Contenders RC's unnumbered, Round Numbers Autographs, Coles with Ron Dugans
[Image: 2000JetsPlayoffContenders.jpg]
[Image: 2000JetsPlayoffContenders2.jpg]
Playoff Momentum RC's #ed to 750
[Image: 2000JetsPlayoffMomentum.jpg]
Playoff Momentum Quads with 1st card Momentum Quads Autos Pennington with Ron Dayne, Chris Redman and Thomas Jones (non auto)
[Image: 2000JetsPlayoffMomentumQuads.jpg]
Playoff Momentum Tandems with 1st card Momentum Tandems Autos Pennington and Ron Dayne
[Image: 2000JetsPlayoffMomentumTandems.jpg]
Playoff Prestige RC's #ed to 2500, Checklists and Checklist Team Issues #ed to 60
[Image: 2000JetsPlayoffPrestige.jpg]
Playoff Prestige League Leaders Tandems and Quads
[Image: 2000JetsPlayoffPrestige2.jpg]

Press Pass Torquers and Reflectors #ed to 500 near impossible to find today
[Image: 2000JetsPressPass.jpg]
Autos unnumbered
[Image: 2000JetsPressPassAutos.jpg]

Sage, cant see autos on silver foil, Hit unnumbered, Sage Pennington to 749, Coles, Ellis & Abraham to 999
[Image: 2000JetsSAGE.jpg]
Quantum Leaf RC's unnumbered
[Image: 2000JetsQuantumLeaf.jpg]
[Image: 2000JetsQuantumLeaf2.jpg]

Score, RC's Hayes reported 500 cards but not sequentially numbered, 2009 valued at $15
2nd row Rookie preview autos, 3rd row Millenium men, Pennington and Pennington/Moss
[Image: 2000JetsScore.jpg]
Score 1st row Future Franchise (Hobby) with Pennington on Front, Martin non foil on back, (Retail) Franchise with Martin printed on foil
2nd row Numbers Game Curtis Martin (gold and Silver) & building blocks Ray Lucas
3rd row Complete player and Airmail (Keyshawn Johnson, cards have Jets logo)
[Image: 2000JetsScore2.jpg]

Skybox, RC's unnumbered, horizontal (blue foil) shortprint parallels #ed to 2000
[Image: 2000JetsSkybox.jpg]
Skybox Dominion and Dominion Extra parallel, RC's unnumbered
[Image: 2000JetsSkyboxDominion.jpg]
SP Authentic, RC's #ed to 1250
[Image: 2000JetsSPAuthentic.jpg]
SP Authentic Sign of the Times,
[Image: 2000JetsSPAuthenticSignTimes.jpg]
SP Authentic Buybacks, all 3 Keyshawns, #ed to 5, 102 & 001/310, Testaverde to 290, Chrebet to 267
[Image: 2000JetsSPAuthenticBuybackAutos.jpg]

SPx, Rc's #ed to 1350, which I had bought a bunch of cheap Tom Brady's cards in early 2001!!!
[Image: 2000JetsSPx.jpg]
all three players #ed to 2000, and a Coles redemption punchout
[Image: 2000JetsSPxRCAutos.jpg]
SPx Winning Materials Pennington non autos unnumbered, autos to 225, found the redemption a couple of years ago
[Image: 2000JetsSPxAutos.jpg]

Stadium Club, Base cards and RC's unnumbered, beautiful photography for this product.
[Image: 2000JetsStadiumClub1.jpg]
Stadium Club inserts
Chad Pennington Lone Star Signature, Capture the Action Game View with cel picture parallel #ed to 100 Curtis Martin & Keyshawn Johnson followed by the Capture the Action base insert Martin and Johnson with a Stadium Club Beam Team Keyshawn Johnson #ed to 500 between them.
[Image: 2000JetsStadiumClub2.jpg]

Topps, Curtis Martin MVP Promotion Prize card was part of a redemption set for being MVP in week 4, Jim Kubiak was assigned by the Jets to Amsterdam in NFL Europe. RC's unnumbered
Autograph of Chad Pennington photoshopped to remove the Marshall University logo off helmet
[Image: 2000JetsTopps1.jpg]
Topps Chrome RC's #ed to 1650
[Image: 2000JetsToppsChrome.jpg]
Topps Gallery RC's unnumbered
[Image: 2000JetsToppsGallery.jpg]
Topps Gold Label Pennington cards unnumbered
[Image: 2000JetsToppsGoldLabel.jpg]
2000 Topps Gold Label Holiday Match-Ups for the Fall and Winter insert sets have variations not listed on Beckett. On the back of each card is a team name printed at the bottom, so there are two variations, the home and road team. Scans show the front and back along with a Wayne Chrebet insert from the same product.
[Image: 2000JetsToppsGoldLabel1.jpg]
[Image: 2000JetsToppsGoldLabel2.jpg]

Topps Stars, a promo card was produced with Keyshawn Johnson as a Jet. After he was traded, Topps photoshopped the original Jets uniform into a Bucs uniform, RC's unnumbered, last year of Topps Stars, RC's unnumbered
[Image: 2000JetsToppsStars.jpg]

Topps Pro Bowl Swatches
Tom Tupa and Kevin Mawae from Topps Stars, 4 different Keyshawn Johnson swatches, spread across Topps Products, Bowman's Best, Stadium Club, Topps & Topps Stars.
3 of them have the same photo with some subtle over scanning to change the picture size. The writeups on the back are all different, two cards have him as a Jet, two as a Buccaneer (Bowman's Best & Topps Stars).
[Image: 2000JetsToppsProBowl.jpg]

Ultra, RC's unnumbered
[Image: 2000JetsUltra.jpg]

UD Black Diamond, RC's unnumbered
[Image: 2000JetsUDBlackDiamond.jpg]

UD Grading, RC's #ed to 1325 except for Pennington who signed his and #ed to 250
[Image: 2000JetsUDGraded.jpg]

UD Ionix
Authentics The Keyshawn Johnson was part of the #ed to 100 insert set, it has a gold border. The Wayne Chrebet like the Ray Lucas is part of the #ed to 300 insert set, they have a blue border. Ionix RC's #ed to 2000.
[Image: 2000JetsUDIonix3.jpg]

Upper Deck
All RC's unnumbered, and some inserts.
[Image: 2000JetsUpperDeck.jpg]
Upper Deck Game Jersey autos, inserts for 2000 Upper Deck, the Green and White Swatches for Chad Pennington and the Green Swatch for Keyshawn Johnson even though he had been traded to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers [Image: 2000JetsUpperDeckGameJerseyx.jpg]

Upper Deck Encore
The Encore set was pretty similar to the base Upper Deck set but a green border and enhanced coloring. John Abraham got injured early in the 2000 season, got replaced in the Encore set by Windrell Hayes. All RC's unnumbered. The Redeemed card of Laveranues Coles has a little punched hole in it, super rare card to find now.
Bottom row is the Encore autos of rookies Chad Pennington & Laveranues Coles.
[Image: 2000JetsUpperDeckEncoreUpdated.jpg]

Upper Deck Gold Reserve & Upper Deck Legends
Gold Reserve base cards clones of Upper Deck and Upper Deck Encore with different color enhancements, RC's #ed to 2500
Legends are nice cards, I always disagreed with putting RC's in a Legends set, Pennington and Coles had nice NFL careers, there are almost over, but they were not legends, RC's #ed to 2000
[Image: 2000JetsUpperDeckGoldReserveLegends.jpg]

Upper Deck MVP
RC's unnumbered
Scanned are the Silver Script parallel, Prosign Keyshawn Johnson Auto (Jets) & Chad Pennington (Marshall University).
The base card and parallels have Keyshawn traded to the Buccaneers, it appears he signed the autos before the trade, the auto card says Jets. It looks like Chad Pennington did not give Upper Deck an autograph so his Silver Script card has no facsimile auto printed on it.
[Image: 2000JetsUpperDeckMVP.jpg]

Upper Deck Ovation, RC's #ed to 2500
3rd row center stage, Act 3 #ed to 50, took me years to find that card.
[Image: 2000JetsUpperDeckOvation.jpg]

Upper Deck Pros & Prospects, RC's #ed to 1000
The two autos have different colored green swatches, the Keyshawn Johnson swatch looks to have a Kelly green swatch from a 1996 or 1997 Jets jersey, the Ray Lucas swatch is from a 1998 or 1999 Hunter green Jets jersey
[Image: 2000JetsUpperDeckProsProspects1.jpg]

Upper Deck Vintage, RC's #ed to 500
[Image: 2000JetsUpperDeckVintage.jpg]

ShonnGreene23

Very very impressive. Love looking at your jets collections.
ShonnGreene23 Wrote:Very very impressive. Love looking at your jets collections.

Thanks, I am going to add comments, in 2000 with some many sets, and inserts, it will take a little time. The insert autos then were to expensive, so I pick them up gradually over time, waiting for a Stadium Club Lonestar Chad Pennington to be delivered.
It is different today with limits on the numbered of sets to be produced, now there are to many parallels made.
Also there are fewer card companies, 2000 was Collector's Edge last year, 2002 was Pacific's last year, sets like Bowman Reserve, Bowman's Best, Stadium Club, Quantum Leaf, Topps Stars, Topps Gallery etc have gone for products that can be sold for more, with swatches, autos etc. Nobody imagined Topps Tripe Threads, Panini National Treasures in 2000.
Upper Deck has retired almost all of the 2000 sets for more expensive product with tons of memorabilia inserts and parallels of those. 2000 was a simpler time in cards.
And 2010 will have no Topps products so goodbye to Topps, Topps Chrome, Bowman, Bowman Chrome that had all been around for over a decade
Very nice job. I like how everything was grouped and organized alphabetically by company.

I also learned how to tell the difference, via illustration here, between the retail and hobby 2000 CE Odyssey cards.
nittany13 Wrote:Very nice job. I like how everything was grouped and organized alphabetically by company.

I also learned how to tell the difference, via illustration here, between the retail and hobby 2000 CE Odyssey cards.

Hi, glad to help, will try to add the rest of the product notes promptly to make it more useful as a reference to everyone who looks at this thread.
I'am speechless you have a great collection
fbcking Wrote:I'am speechless you have a great collection

Thank you, it's been 14 years of collecting one team to get it to this level, and gap filling along the way. I don't have the quality of collectors who are specializing on one or a few players, but I am very happy with what I have. For me, it is a living growing history of the New York Jets, each year shows me who were the rookies, who were the star players, I wish some current sets could be bigger to include more veterans, especially the smaller names. That's why Score of all product is important to me, and why I will miss the Topps base set, they were the last two products giving the 4th, 5th, 6th etc best players on a team a 2nd, 3rd 4th year card etc.
That's my two cents.
Very impressive collection of the "G.. D... JETS" or J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!

Those auto cards are nice the players have nice autos. Especillay Penningtons looks like they put time and effort into signing. Wonder what Bill could have done with the Jets instead of the Pats and with those 4 first round picks possibly could have had 4-5 Super Bowls.
jbmm161 Wrote:Very impressive collection of the "G.. D... JETS" or J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!

Those auto cards are nice the players have nice autos. Especillay Penningtons looks like they put time and effort into signing. Wonder what Bill could have done with the Jets instead of the Pats and with those 4 first round picks possibly could have had 4-5 Super Bowls.

And instead of Tony Scott, still took Tom Brady in the 6th round......
jbmm161 Wrote:Very impressive collection of the "G.. D... JETS" or J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!

Thanks, I like to upload a good portion of a year from my Jets collection. It takes most of a weekend to do something large like the 2000 year. I was running out of enthusiasm by the time I reached Upper Deck products. I need to update some scans if and when I get more autos or more time. Chad Pennington certainly looked like he took care with his auto signing.
Pages: 1 2 3