Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: RIP Hank Aaron
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What are your thoughts on people rushing to ebay to list autographs after someone has passed?

All new listings: https://ebay.to/39ZWz6m
autos generally go up a bit after death..since they do not sign anymore...mem and such stay pretty stable as the estate can release items to become mem cards.

It also depends on the amount they signed during life..a good and plentiful signer..there is less of a mark up..others maybe a little more..but it is a crap shoot..just like an older player getting into the HOF..little increase..then flat..

Then there is the player..major star like Aaron I should think more or a price increase..expect the same when Mays ( I love him..but he is 89!!) joins them as well..sad to think..

If I had an Aaron card auto and was thinking of selling..now might be a good time..but then holding for 2 years when the supply is much less..might be better..

Sounds like you have one and I wish you good luck either way
pootshwan Wrote:What are your thoughts on people rushing to ebay to list autographs after someone has passed?

All new listings: https://ebay.to/39ZWz6m
I think it's dooshy.
(01-22-2021, 06:07 PM)pootshwan Wrote: [ -> ]What are your thoughts on people rushing to ebay to list autographs after someone has passed?
It's a bit morbid but not unexpected. I think I've posted this before but in terms of player value in the hobby I had it explained to me by a LCS owner back in the day:

Initial pre-draft and after draft hype.
Player cools as the next years crop of hyped rookies pop up
interest renews as a player gets called up/rookie year
value ebbs and flows based on team and individual performance
value rises a bit at retirement
value levels off again
value rises a bit if they make the HoF
value levels off again
value rises a bit at death

Not saying it's right or wrong, just how it tends to trend. I think it's a bit morbid on the part of sellers, but there are more buyers in the market who want pieces to remember the athlete by. When there's demand, supply will become available.
At this point, it doesn't really phase me. I used to think it was lame years ago but now I'm just like "whatever." There's a great FB group I'm in for vintage cards where the owner/admin bans the sale of cards of any player for the two weeks after their death.

If anything, maybe some cards that aren't usually readily available will pop up and the people that really wanted them in their collection will be able to obtain them now.

That '54 Topps RC of his is one I've always wanted. Might go after the HOFers in that set once I'm done with the '53 Bowman Color.
What about when Jose Fernandez passed? I don't think he had not even dried out before his cards were up in the bay....
bonds20001 Wrote:autos generally go up a bit after death..since they do not sign anymore...mem and such stay pretty stable as the estate can release items to become mem cards.

It also depends on the amount they signed during life..a good and plentiful signer..there is less of a mark up..others maybe a little more..but it is a crap shoot..just like an older player getting into the HOF..little increase..then flat..

Then there is the player..major star like Aaron I should think more or a price increase..expect the same when Mays ( I love him..but he is 89!!) joins them as well..sad to think..

If I had an Aaron card auto and was thinking of selling..now might be a good time..but then holding for 2 years when the supply is much less..might be better..

Sounds like you have one and I wish you good luck either way
I do have one. But his passing makes me want to hold onto even more now.
Phillies_Joe Wrote:What about when Jose Fernandez passed?  I don't think he had not even dried out before his cards were up in the bay....
Yea, sad.
ricelynnevans75 Wrote:At this point, it doesn't really phase me.  I used to think it was lame years ago but now I'm just like "whatever."  There's a great FB group I'm in for vintage cards where the owner/admin bans the sale of cards of any player for the two weeks after their death.

If anything, maybe some cards that aren't usually readily available will pop up and the people that really wanted them in their collection will be able to obtain them now.

That '54 Topps RC of his is one I've always wanted.  Might go after the HOFers in that set once I'm done with the '53 Bowman Color.
Yes, I am in that group as well. I thought that was a good rule in place
pootshwan Wrote:Yes, I am in that group as well. I thought that was a good rule in place
Bob Harmon's group?  I imagine there are more that do the same but this is the one I'm in.  Love looking at the cards that get posted almost every day in there.
Pages: 1 2