Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Slabs? BGS Roy RC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Howdy... I just acquired a 8.5 BGS opc Roy RC via ebay. My question/concern is that the slab has very noticeable rough spot on the very bottom edge, very center. It appears to be an actual chip in the slab. Actually all the seller's BGS cards seem to have this error.
Here is the auction
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-87-O-Pee-C...7675.l2557

Is this normal? I've been out of the community a bit and am not familiar with BGS other than its' good reputation. I just wanted to make sure this was legit considering the price. I can fit a fingernail in the seem of the slab, so you could fit a razor blade in there, I didn't know if it was possible to pop a slab swap the card, put a dab of glue on it & make a days pay?

That leads to my second question... Why does a slab, designed to keep a card pristine, itself have a very prevalent flaw? It's irritating actually.

I also recently got a Bossy Topps BVG 7 to finish off a set it it has a similar flaw not as bad.

Anyone with any input would be appreciated.

Also Just was curious how bad is ebay loaded with fakes and are there telltale signs to a BVG/BGS or PSA fake?

Thanks
I only have three cards in slabs, so small sample size, but the cases were all in pristine condition when I received them directly from BGS.

To be fair, unless you received the Roy directly from the grading company you sent it to, who knows how many hands it has passed through, how many times it has been shipped, etc.

However, it does seem odd that the seller has multiple slabs with the same damage in terms of type and location.

I would send the seller a message about it, and if the answer is vague or unconvincing, I would ask for a refund.
His scan really highlights it, but this is pretty common on BGS slabs.

Do a generic search on ebay for 'BGS 9.5' and you'll see.

I'm not sure if it's from in the sealing process, but it's on most slabs and some scans or images do a better job of hiding it.
If the damage to the slab in the auction is obvious see how much it is to reslab the card. And decide if it is worth it to you. My slabs might have some scratches but I don't think I have seen chips....
fred bear Wrote:His scan really highlights it, but this is pretty common on BGS slabs.

Do a generic search on ebay for 'BGS 9.5' and you'll see.

I'm not sure if it's from in the sealing process, but it's on most slabs and some scans or images do a better job of hiding it.
Thanks... I did just that and yeah I noticed it on a lot of them.
abouch66 Wrote:Howdy... I just acquired a 8.5 BGS opc Roy RC via ebay. My question/concern is that the slab has very noticeable rough spot on the very bottom edge, very center. It appears to be an actual chip in the slab. Actually all the seller's BGS cards seem to have this error.
Here is the auction
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-87-O-Pee-C...7675.l2557

Is this normal? I've been out of the community a bit and am not familiar with BGS other than its' good reputation. I just wanted to make sure this was legit considering the price. I can fit a fingernail in the seem of the slab, so you could fit a razor blade in there, I didn't know if it was possible to pop a slab swap the card, put a dab of glue on it & make a days pay?

That leads to my second question... Why does a slab, designed to keep a card pristine, itself have a very prevalent flaw? It's irritating actually.

I also recently got a Bossy Topps BVG 7 to finish off a set it it has a similar flaw not as bad.

Anyone with any input would be appreciated.

Also Just was curious how bad is ebay loaded with fakes and are there telltale signs to a BVG/BGS or PSA fake?

Thanks
Just an update... The seller did contact me back several days later. Seemed oblivious to the fact that his latest batch of cards from BGS all had this flaw. He did however offer a refund or to have it re-slabbed for me. I see a lot of other BGS cards on ebay with the same flaw so, I'll live with it I guess. I did email beckett to inquire as to wtf is up with their slabs, in a much more polite manner. I received no response... and I also emailed psa the same day to ask an unrelated question and got a response within 48 hours. Not a great look on beckett imo.